Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Its that time of year. Lets discuss ether.

Ive never tried the gas rag routine. I was taught at a young age that was bad. It seems a lot of you haven't had any trouble doing it though, so was I taught wrong maybe?

Charter Member
    I can't see how gas could hurt anything like ether does. Ether goes off with such a loud knock that if there is too much in there the shock wave is liable to damage something.

Most types of fuel are valued for their resistance to detonation while ether is valued because it is prone to detonation.

If its one that just hasn't been started in a while, I use jb80 or worst case use choke clean, only think I use ether for is setting beads on tires, as long as it's 80% which the normal parts houses don't carry.

Last week I needed to move some snow around with the grader. Plugged in the block heater and returned to start it when I discovered the block was still cold. After 12 years the 2000W block heater had failed. Not wanting to put the ether to it right away, (tempertures was right around zero F), I went into town to buy a new heater and ran into a old farmer friend. He said that he had used WB-40 on his JD machines instead of ether. His thinking was it supplied some lubrication. I ended up using ether as I was not in the mood to to clamp off cold hoses for the replacement and I was concerned about WD-40 messing up my paper air filters.
    Any thoughts on using WD-40 instead of ether?

Charter Member
    You spray WD40 directly in the intake when cranking. It is not vapor/fumes when it gets to the cylinders like ether or gasoline, it is still small droplets, so the air filter will take out most or all of it and as you surmise you will be left with an oily air filter.

The reason ether works well and is flexible to different situations is because it is so violent. That is what also makes it prone to damage. Other methods will work but not as easily. You choose your poison.

ether works great for mounting tires..again not an approved method , but when out in the woods and not left with much choice , it will get the tires sealed back on the rim, just stand back and out of the way incase it blows the bead off the rim...

You guys talking about ether washing down the cylinder walls? how much are you using? I've got a deere that'll start without it but I'm leery of long cranking times tearing up the starter. Near 0F, a one second shot into the outer air cleaner will have the engine running in four seconds of cranking, I'll usually crank for 3 and then give it a whiff, then 4-5 more and it'll start up as gentle as pie. No banging knocking or rattling. It runs out of that 1 second of ether after five seconds of running but by then its already fired up on all six. It just complains for another ten seconds. Without the gas its a minute or two of cranking with some partial starting before it'll hold on its own, then another 10-20 seconds of smoking like crazy before it smooths out.

Quote Originally Posted by fast_st View Post
    You guys talking about ether washing down the cylinder walls? how much are you using? I've got a deere that'll start without it but I'm leery of long cranking times tearing up the starter. Near 0F, a one second shot into the outer air cleaner will have the engine running in four seconds of cranking, I'll usually crank for 3 and then give it a whiff, then 4-5 more and it'll start up as gentle as pie. No banging knocking or rattling. It runs out of that 1 second of ether after five seconds of running but by then its already fired up on all six. It just complains for another ten seconds. Without the gas its a minute or two of cranking with some partial starting before it'll hold on its own, then another 10-20 seconds of smoking like crazy before it smooths out.

Agreed if you can get enough ether in there to wash down the cyl walls get between the rings and remove all the oil trapped in there it is defiantly going to cause engine damage its going to take more than a couple cans for that to happen (;

When using common sense the ether to fuel rate is so ridiculously small it isn't going to wash down the cylinder or destroy the pistons

Had a truck today that didnt get plugged in long enough about three hours on the cord around 0f colder last night and the 2 new 4d batterys in there couldn't get her rolling and it wasnt going to do any good to try for more and a second Ran the queen bee with extension pipe elbowed up at the oil pan (keeps the fire danger down and puts the heat right where you need it) That cummins was smelling a hit either the next time i hit the key and fired right up throttle wide open until it was running backed down to 1500 until it wanted to stay running smooth at idle
    No knocked no excitement at all just standard operating procedure around here Let it warm up for an hour or so and ready to get to work while I can get on to other things like getting the 950 running and laying under another truck burning off the ice thats blocking the slack adjusters from releasing the front brake

Pretty much this^^^. Ether in moderation is sometimes a necessary evil in cold weather. Unfortunately some people think it's a cure all. It's not. More than once I've seen guys try to prime an engine with the stuff, had a customer ruin 2 injectors and a priming pump on a C-15 cat trying to start it. Why? It had lost one of the ECM feeds and wouldn't fire the injectors but they kept trying till they broke the tips off.

Quote Originally Posted by rsherril View Post
    Last week I needed to move some snow around with the grader. Plugged in the block heater and returned to start it when I discovered the block was still cold. After 12 years the 2000W block heater had failed. Not wanting to put the ether to it right away, (tempertures was right around zero F), I went into town to buy a new heater and ran into a old farmer friend. He said that he had used WB-40 on his JD machines instead of ether. His thinking was it supplied some lubrication. I ended up using ether as I was not in the mood to to clamp off cold hoses for the replacement and I was concerned about WD-40 messing up my paper air filters.
    Any thoughts on using WD-40 instead of ether?
    Try this , instead: Take out the paper element, and insert a bernzomatic or similar propane torch, with the gas on, but not lit. Put throttle all the way up Give it a few seconds, and start cranking. Most of the time they fire right up. Remember that almost all aerosol oil products use butane as the propellant, and propane and butane are both simple fuels...

^^ The propane torch trick works great for motorcycles too. it's a lot easier than getting them flooded with fuel when they been sitting a while.

Some machines that are located in extreme cold conditions have a zero start system installed that when activated shoots a measured amount of ether directly into the intake to aid in starting

I like the propane torch method, Im going to try that.

In my relatively limited experience it seems either is especially bad for IDI diesels. In an IDI, combustion happens inside a pre-combustion chamber so when you shoot ether in there, a very violent blast is coming out of the chamber through a small port and BAM- right onto the piston, I have seen this leave deep gouges into the piston crown.
    I'd rather be...........ridin' the rails!

What if you had the propane torch and had it lit? wouldn't that be similar to an intake air heater or that zany configuration in some Perkins engines.

Perkins thermo-start burns diesel in the intake and works really well. For really cold weather like -30 and below some Perkins will use an optional ether injection system.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast