Thread: More repairs due on this old machine

More repairs due on this old machine

Had a visit with the back doc again today, lower area is hanging tough with a few hiccups, had one of his cohorts do a Carpal tunnel fix on me last month and that took well where my fingers no longer just go to sleep but today was a shocker. Knew I had neck issues, been getting harder to turn my head left and eventually it started to the right getting more painful as I go. 25+ years ago I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease and now it has gone full out. C4/5, C5/6 and C6/7 are toast, we went thru what comes next which will be CT scans to determine sizes and will set appointment for some time in March for the three replacements. It was Docs recommendation not to fuse but to replace as tech has gotten considerably better, I just want to be ready for summer and all in one piece not aching or bothered with shooter pains.

Alternative is much worse but this old age poop pile sucks!!

I can sympathize. Dec 4, 2016 I had L5, L6, and S1 fused. Bone spur in L4 causing rt leg ache / pain. 14 week recovery, I had favored the rt leg for almost 3 years resulting in loss of leg strength.

By Memorial Day, not a lot of improvement plus stiffness in my ankle, MRI and CAT scan revealed abnormally narrow spinal column w/ bone spurs. Dr put me in a stiff collar and wanted to operate in 2 days. Operated a week later from the back and opened up C3-6. I should have used a wheel chair to get to the surgical registration desk. That was June 9th. 7 week recovery - much easier than the lower back.

In November I had one of my followups. Discussed the stiffness now in both ankles with the aching still on the right. My option was wait and see what happens or another MRI. Guess what, another bone spur now visible inside on C-4 plus a herniated disk now that everything has "room". December 1st, C3 and C-4 fused w/ bone spur removal. Overnight in the hospital and back to work in 5 days. #3 was a piece of cake

I'd talk with your Dr. It took 7 weeks for my cervical surgical release and I did not have any fusion. You will be walking with a cervical collar watching your feet for a few weeks The PT lady was telling me that nerves will take a year to heal. Fortunately I have no permanent nerve damage. Finally asked the surgeon. He said 1 - 1 1/2 years. So I might be ache / pain free in the summer of 2018.

You're right, the alternative isn't good but getting old sure isn't for sissies None of spine issues were injuries or operating equipment related, just getting old.

Maybe we need a "Health" thread where we can share our old age stories LOL

Payne is no fun, I feel for you. May lots of vitamins and food help, an yoga
    Help ease the pain. Take care sam, and don't forget the food for the sole.

I feel for ya Miller.. I'm going down the same road.. I had my 2nd lower back surgery in 2yrs on Sept 1.. still recouping. They replaced 2 disks this time.
    They showed me the MRI and CT scans and said theres more to come..
    The neck looks terrible and I'm not looking forward to that.. they said I've probably got another 5 years till they go.
    and I'm only in my early 50's.. w/ more to come..
    A diesel mechanics life is hard on the ol' body.. but we just grin and bear it..

Don't we though! I entered Diesel engine and heavy machine work in 1975, been a hard row hoed since. Lots of broken stuff besides the machines(meaning me). Saw quite a few lose their battles during the course of the years, a few died. Had to help recover a tire man from a exploded three piece wheel incident, gave new respect for those then but still see them on the roads. I have Uncle Arthir(itis) beating at the door in my sixties now. Still manage to outwork many of the kids around me setting fences, working animals and working machines, working harder/faster is not the key, working smarter is. At least I have a good physician that has if you can believe it a engineering degree, he designed and installs the replacement discs! He got my lower back into shape while telling me I could return to a normal life after as short as three weeks, took seven just to make certain it healed properly.

My neck has bothered me to the extent I thought was having a heart attack in '93, left arm ached bad, jaw hurt, burning in left shoulder, had family history of heart issues so went to ER. They sent me to a neurologist that found or determined had pinched nerves in my neck and the Degen Disc 'disease'. I asked but was declined as to wear and tear from work, seems we all mechanic types end up with this early on. Used the self hanging equipment(weighted head lift harness for home use) for years but gave up on that as it never really helped! and got tired of hanging myself!

Sorry to hear about your woes DMiller! Is your engineer doc happen to be Dr. A. at Columbia Ortho? If so, he did my wife's back surgery about 8 years ago. He's a good one to have in your corner!

Miles, and used to do work at Binkley which is now USF Holland. Great surgeon in my opinion!!

Miles is a lot like Abernathie who even designs surgical tools. Good group there!