Thread: Volvo EW 210C Slow Boom Control Response

Volvo EW 210C Slow Boom Control Response

Good Day!

I am turning to the Forum for a some some input regarding slow boom control response with A Volvo EW210C. When the machine is in the warm up process is where it obviously most glaring. With a the system cold and running 900 to 950 (cold oil exercise speeds after engine warm up) with the boom control in full raise it will take a second or two to lift. However this is at it's worst and admittedly cold and at the beginning of warm up.

It does get better at operating temps, however it never quite goes away. If you are edge down next to a wall reaching out nearly flat the grade is choppy coming out because the boom lags behind the input. I do quite a bit of craning with this machine and have determined that the travel and boom circuits seem to be co-mingled. While it will tolerate some travel input and still allow boom function, when booming up and coming to stop you need to get off the boom control while feathering out the travel circuit.

I have thought about going into the "custom" settings and dialing up the boom... however when it is engaged beyond the control input the pressure and flow seem to be fine. Beyond that no real complaints the machine seems to work in other aspects fine.

Thoughts anybody?
    Thanks

Good day Duce
    Do you mean there is a delay between operating the control to when the boom begins to hoist ? or is it that the boom begins immediately however slowly. You can check out the response from the control lever by selecting "service mode" the pressure switch will inform the display if the delay is caused by the lever. You can select three differing operation modes from the display this will change the reaction lag.
    Kind regards
    Uffex

Thumbs up Thanks uffex!

Good Evening uffex,

Many thanks for your response. The lag is when you pull the lever to initiate boom up, the boom is behind the control input. I have been running a Liebherr 904C and inherited this machine from one of our other operators.
    It had me scratching my head so I called him and it has been doing it for sometime. I appreciate your suggestion and will implement it tomorrow or Monday. Were paving tomorrow weather permitting so I may not get back to you till Monday evening.

Many Thanks, I will let you know how it goes!

I assume this is only during boom up operation and not during other functions correct? In cold temps and under low operating temp this symptom can be normal. I expect you are in Ma or Ct so temps er pretty low this time of year. If there is an issue with the machine I would look at servo press. working press. deltaP and control .
    press.
    Also verify what oil is being used

Thumbs up Weather

Hi Ben

Thanks for your response your assumption is correct, I am in New England and it has been bitterly cold on some shifts. We had wind chill to -19 not to long ago and we lost both batteries.
    It seems to only effect "boom up" and is most pronounced at warm up or sub operating temps. However it still continues after operating temps are achieved it does improve but does not "go away.".
    I doubt I will use the machine today.

I will talk with our wrench today concerning hyd oil would not be surprised if it was OEM fill which I believe is Bio 46. I have 10 gallons of AW 46 on site but have not had to add any to this machine.

More on Monday night. Thanks for your insights Ben I will let you know!

Does anything change when you increase the engine rpm's?