Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My 955K Rattletrap Adventure

Cav - nice photos. Kudos for that.

I must have just missed the water pressure gauges. The oldest 955 I ever recall working with was an L series around the 1977 time frame, but hey ho.
    The only thing I can suggest is to get into the back of the dash panel and try pressurizing the gauge manually, maybe by using an adapted bicycle tire pump or similar. That will tell you if the guage is working or not. If it is then you'll be off on a detective mission to trace the pipework all the way to the cooling system to see if you can find a leak in it (or has it even been disconnected at some point between the guage and the cooling system..?)

The converter temp gauge looks like it's goofed. Could be the capillary bust, could be the gauge. Again it'll be a detective mission to find out where the failure lies. Removing the bulb from the converter housing and subjecting it to some heat like dumping it in boiling water would be a good test. That ought to generate some reaction from the needle.
    I'd love to see things from your perspective but unfortunately....... I find it impossible to get my head that far up my a$$.

To paraphrase your local friendly MD. Stick your tongue out and tell me - what's your Serial Number..?

Delmer and Nige, Thanks for the advice regarding the converter temp gauge. I'm going to have to give that a try. One other question regarding the dash area--in my photos of the whole dash you can see a gap of about one inch in the housing above and behind the dash area--is this a purposeful gap? That is, is it supposed to be there or is there a strip of sheet metal missing? I haven't been able to find that detail in any of the books I have, but as they are for a 955 and not a 955K, they might differ on that detail. It just seems out-of-place....

Some photos of the rails:
    Right side:
    Name:  955K_tracks1.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  128.1 KB

Left side:
    Name:  955K_tracksL.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  121.3 KB

It's hard to see in the photos, but if you feel the bushings it is very difficult to feel any wear--it seems like they are almost perfect cylinders still. That, along with them being SALT (they have the rubber plugs in the ends of the bushings), is what sold me on the machine. I looked at the sellers (brother's whose dad bought the 955K in the mid-90s, built a pond, then parked it) and said "you guys didn't put many hours on this, did you? Not much more than a few hundred?" They looked at each other and said, "That's about right." Someone put a lot of money into the undercarriage just before their dad bought it! Other than loosening the track tension a bit, I doubt I'll have to fret about the undercarriage!

A belated very happy and merry New Year to all! I even had some hog jowl and black-eyed peas with the in-laws on 1 Jan to ensure a lucky year. Unfortunately, my vacation is over, now, and it's back to the work-a-day world tomorrow.

--Cavin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123