Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: D6c cat loss of oil pressure

Wasn't aware D6c's have a low pressure shut-down.....unless there is an oil pressure sensor in the fuel pump I don't now how it would work.

When I got my D6c it had low oil pressure (not zero).....pulled the pan, oil pump, & checked the crank bearings. Ended up having two problems.

The long rear pickup tube has a strap and bolt supporting the rear end....the last guy to work on it put in too long of a bolt which allowed the tube to wiggle. That eventually caused half of the gasket on the pump end of the tube to fall out letting it suck air.

The other problem was a weak oil pump bypass valve....it has belville washers for tension.

The crank wasn't too bad so I rolled in new bearings (Cat sells a little tool you insert into the crank oil passage to roll the bearings in). Didn't think I had much to loose by trying it

It pegs the oil gauge now and probably has 700 hrs since the repair.

Good luck

Thanks,
    I pulled a couple of main bearings and a couple of crank bearings this morning. The main bearings are a little sloppy, the crank bearings look good and
    I didn't see any flakes of aluminium, but there are flakes up in the crankcase scattered throughout the engine. Is it possible to flush the engine block with gasoline and blow it out clean, put new bearings in and close it up? The only areas that I have not seen is the heads .Don't want to know!

Question,
    If my oil pump was not pumping oil, gear bolt broke, bracket broke, gears not meshing together, how can there be metal in the oil filter? ?The very first thing that I noticed was an oil leak somewhere up front by the fan. Shortly after the oil pressure gauge dropped ,then within 15 seconds, complete engine shutdown. Any thoughts? ?

Yair . . .

Steve.ahlgren85 Its a high stakes game you're playing here.

There are folks following this thread who's advise should be heeded, they can save you lots of money.

If you have ally flakes they came from somewhere

The main bearings are a little sloppy, the crank bearings look good
    By who's criteria? Without soft lead/plastigauge readings and some photo's such a statement (in my opinion) is meaningless.

Have you checked the end float?

It sounds like you may have been lucky and I would not push that good fortune too far.

Cheers

It sounds more like you have had a front timing gear failure due to the chain you found in the pan. If that chain went through the gears and knocked the oil pump off it probably also damaged the fuel pump drive gears and the fuel pump quit turning or went out of time and caused the engine to stop. You could look up at the gears from below and see if there are teeth damaged.
    How big is the chain? There are no chains inside this engine on a normal day.

I like TCtractors idea about the oil cap chain..
    Plastigage is REAL CHEAP and REAL QUICK.. use it..
    Depending on your money supply, fix the oil pump, roll some new brgs in it, inspect the gears for chipped teeth, blow the passages out and button it up..
    What do you have to loose.. it doesn't run NOW..
    D6c10K has a point tho.. did the engine come to a SCREACHING HALT.. or did it slowly die off like it ran out of fuel??
    IF and that's a BIG IF, it has/had a low oil shut down mechanism on it, you may have dodged a bullet..
    Do you even know if it will roll over by hand?? Put the main caps back on and see if it will make a revolution.. IF NOT.. you know what you have to do..
    All this talk and questions about flakes in the filter is drivin me to drink..lol.
    no oil pump=no OIL FLOW.. which = no debris in the filter.. get it now??
    You found the problem.. fix it.. just sayin'

The engine slowly died, like running out of fuel. It turns over great. The oil filter, upon further, deeper inspection did have metal filings, flakes, deep down in the pleats. The chain that was laying on the bottom of the pan, I am pretty sure came from the fillerror cap. at least that is what it looks like. It is not a timing chain. I have the old girl sitting on a field road, no way to transport it. I will stick with plan A.

The oil cap chain is broken on my D6 too.....still has a short piece hanging inside the filler tube. Doesn't seem very likely a piece could get up into the crank gears but anything is possible. The oil cap chain is a flat sheet metal link chain if that's what you found.

That is exactly what it looks like. It didn't get into the crank bearings. It was just laying there !!

More on the oil pressure sensing. Only the early 10Kxxxx's with the D333C engine have the rack limiting block feature. It blocks the rack from opening beyond idle speed until oil pressure is reached. It is not a shut down feature. Stoppage at or below idle speed would have to come from fuel shut off or excessive drag (stall) on the
    engine.

Zeigler caterpillar service manager said that the machines fuel pressure and oil pressure are related! !!Mine is a d6c 10k 11 serial number. All I know is what he said and that was that oil pressure loss affects the fuel shutdown, and I am glad that my machine has that feature
    Thanks for all the posts, they have been very informative! !

Steve, someone has told you a load of crap, there is NO and again NO shut down feature on the 333C or 3306 engine unless it has a Non OE fitment. these engine protection units that could be bought and fitted need activating on every start up, I have only seen them on D8's and 9's, if the engine speed is on higher than 1/2 speed the Rack pegging control will not work until the speed is reduced to low idle, then the engine will only idle but not shut down with NO oil pressure, hate to say it Steve but you are well outside your comfort zone with your sump pan full of metal issue, you need to firstly look at your front engine oil leak? as that sounds Not Good, then start removing the engine and avoid listening to crap off your Service pal that seems to be not gripped up with old D6's, or better still stop listening to me and waste your $$$$.
    tctractors
    p.s do you read these post's ??

Well,if the engine bearings are replaced mains and connecting rods and crankshaft doesn't have noticable damage, what have I got to lose? Rebuilt engine might be less expensive than majoring mine.

Steve,

I would heed the warnings of the very intelligent and straight shooting folk here on this forum. Something caused the engine to shut down and it was not a low oil pressure safety mechanism, new bearings are not going to solve your problem especially if the bearings in it now don't look bad they most certainly did not cause the engine to stall. A little more digging into the issue definitely can't hurt...

Just my humble opinion... you know what they say, they are just like A%$ holes, everyone has one!

Either way I wish you luck with whatever direction you choose to take
    Last edited by RustedHeroes; 11-18-2016 at 07:04 PM.

Mr steve,

I run a reputable earthmoving company, own and still run a late 10k. The clowns at the local yellow store say they can fix anything yellow. Problem, everybody is 22yrs old fresh out of lawnmower school. It wont turn out good from my past experiences there with non current iron.

Chain the blade up, push er on a trailer and bring it to a independent real heavy equipment mechanic who makes his living on his reputation.
    Just livin the dream one nightmare at a time.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast