Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: D6c cat loss of oil pressure

possible for an oil pump pickup to fall off? manual oil pressure gauge?

Steve, I think you are missing the point some, the only way the oil filter gets bits into it is if the oil pump pumps the oil through the filter? if the oil pump has calved down it's not going to pump ow't, as a matter of interest did you cut the filter pleats out and pull them apart so they are flat, I have been working on CAT stuff around 46 years and will be really happy to think your crank is A1 , as it will be a first, you need to check the main bearings and the big ends, they can be changed in frame but I think you will be Un-Plugging the engine.
    tctractors

What do I need to see in the filter, microscopic flakes? I really respect your knowledge of cats, but if I am not seeing anything, what more can I do?It wasn't like I ran the machine for an hour or two. It lost oil pressure and within a minimum the engine shutdown. I am hoping no damage is done. What more should I look at without pulling the engine? I am very confident that the machine will start, not so confident on how it will sound!!!!

The flakes won't be very big or easy to see, although the fact that they are not obvious could potentially be regarded as a plus. If there was a significant quantity of really large flakes the engine would have been sounding like a bag of bolts long before you stopped it.

However think of it this way. Any flakes that end up in the filter ended up there because the oil pump was pumping oil round the system. What was your oil pump doing while the engine was shutting itself down..? Not pumping oil that's for sure. Therefore even though the filter does not have flakes in it is not a 100% guaranteed indicator that all is well with the engine. If there is crank bearing damage then it is entirely possible that the debris from that damage never reached the filter because of the oil pump failure.
    Last edited by Nige; 11-16-2016 at 06:21 PM.
    I'd love to see things from your perspective but unfortunately....... I find it impossible to get my head that far up my a$$.

To paraphrase your local friendly MD. Stick your tongue out and tell me - what's your Serial Number..?

Y generally not good when they stop after losing oil pressure I had a farmer last year forgot to fill the motor with the oil after draining it he started it didn't get above wider I drop the caps and looked at the bearings and only one was questionable I was able to polish it I put it back together so far it's running fine for him you would have to find out why you lost oil pressure I'm not sure how the pump is driven with that engine pump set up
    I would rather drink gear lube then drive an automatic

Do yourself a big money and time saving favor and pull the main and rod caps. Like the others said you wont see damage in the filter. It is on the bearings themselves. You will wipe out the crank along with whatever else spins with it....

Be on the lookout for a fresh 6c from minnesota for sale.
    Just livin the dream one nightmare at a time.

Thanks for the advice. I will pull off the mains caps and the rod caps. Can you see the metal filings, or do you need a magnifing glass?When I took off the pan cover, the pump gear was off and mounting brackets were broken off where it connects to the block. There was a short piece of chain laying in the pan also, I don't know where that came from. The pieces of metal I found in the pan came from the suction can screen. One half of the round can,was shredded, the other half was still intact. I am pretty confident I retrieved all of what was left of the oil screen. I love that old machine,but don't want to do more damage. I found a used oil pump down in Texas with the suction canis terrible for $700.I really appreciate everyone's comment, they really help!

Just had another thought, how can metal filings get beyond the oil filter? ?isn't that the purpose of an oil filter, to protect the engine?

Steve, as I posted above, if the oil pump was not working because of the damage you found in the pump & mounting, there is no way that any particles would even reach the filter let alone get past it. As soon as the pump broke, gear fell off, or whatever the oil flow from the pump stopped and so any particles generated would not even go past the pump. For that reason the lack of visible particles in the filter is no guarantee that damage hasn't been done.

Post some photos of what you found in the oil pan.
    I'd love to see things from your perspective but unfortunately....... I find it impossible to get my head that far up my a$$.

To paraphrase your local friendly MD. Stick your tongue out and tell me - what's your Serial Number..?

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Problem is, I don't know what caused the bolt to break! !The mounting bracket was broken off also. I will have to look deeper into the situation. .

sounds like it needs some pictures!! HEF loves carnage.

Explain the freakin chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Can't explain that one. Don't know much about the machine

The Chain could be off the oil filler cap, A second hand oil pump for $700 is getting your Pants Pulled Down, a new 1 would cost less, anyhow you need the engine rebuilding.
    tctractors.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast