Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: D6c cat loss of oil pressure

Yes, I know that I will need an engine with a precombustion chambers and understand that completely. When someone says you need multiple oil pumps on the exchange, they mean hydraulic pumps, correct? I am doing a complete power wash today, starting to dismantle the engine. I will post pictures of the crankshaft and bearings. Thanks
    Steve. .

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.ahlgren85 View Post
    This might be a dumb question but I will ask anyway. Doesn't the engine oil pump, located in the oil pan, supply all the lubrication of the engine components and if not, can I use the pumps off my machine now, that is if I swap parts from one machine to another?
    Thanks so much for your input!
    Yes, You will need a oil pump setup for a crawler so it will pick up oil when not reasonably level. I don't think I would risk a pump off a damaged engine on a good doner engine.
    When I die, if the check to the undertaker does not bounce, I have not lived life to the fullest.

I am planning on purchasing a new engine oil pump. The pump off the damaged engine, I will not use again. The responses that I have received on this forum about purchasing a used pump pretty much changed my mind on that idea.

Yes, I know that I will need an engine with a precombustion chambers and understand that completely. When someone says you need multiple oil pumps on the exchange, they mean hydraulic pumps, correct? I am doing a complete power wash today, starting to dismantle the engine. I will post pictures of the crankshaft and bearings. Thanks
    Steve. .
    I think what they mean is the engine oil pump is different on a dozer than a truck or stationary engine. On a D6c there are two oil pickup tubes in the pan so that when you are on steep slopes the engine doesn't starve for oil. If I remember right the pump itself has two sets of pump gears, one for each pickup tube.

Thanks for clarification!

I finally found a replacement engine for my cat d6c. It is a 3306 pc out of a new Holland forage harvester. It is rated at 270 hp. My question is, can I use the fuel pump that comes with the machine, or do I have swap out the fuel pump from my original machine?Zeigler caterpillar in mpls. said that fuel pump would have to be thoroughly cleaned of metal contamination before switching pumps. Just like to know if it is possible to use pump coming with the donor engine? Thanks. .
    Steve

As you've learned by now, you cant do a dam thing w/ cat w/o your engine serial & arrangement #'s.. same w/ injection pumps.
    Same engine can have different rpms, fuel delivery and torque settings..
    & even if you have all that information, you have to find someone willing to look and compare the information.. good luck.

Check arrangement numbers for both engines as to timing(cam), injector flows, injection pump timing etc. Then look to pistons and hard parts for variables. New engine may be decompressed for higher fuel delivery and not care for low fuel supply for lower HP or different timing angle.

If I use my original pump on the "donor "engine, will that work?

Steve, thank you for starting this Thread as it's proved to be a "Classic" on 2 points, 1 is not understanding anything, the other point is not taking a blind bit of notice of anything said, please prove me wrong and get this tractor back working again, have you removed your engine and stripped it out yet? the last thing you need is another engine to mess about with.
    tctractors

Quote Originally Posted by tctractors View Post
    Steve, thank you for starting this Thread as it's proved to be a "Classic" on 2 points, 1 is not understanding anything, the other point is not taking a blind bit of notice of anything said, please prove me wrong and get this tractor back working again, have you removed your engine and stripped it out yet? the last thing you need is another engine to mess about with.
    tctractors
    TC is spot on Steve, slow down and read what these guys are saying, the amount of advice they have given in this thread is PRICELESS and you're not paying attention to it....I hope you get her going again but start absorbing the advice you've been given or you'll just be throwing money down the toilet...

Engine is stripped, everyone I have talked to said pretty much the same thing, either get a rebuild engine or find a used replacement.I only will be using the machine for some land clearing and landscaping. Zeigler caterpillar said crankshaft on the ends is wore down past the plating, bearings have spun, everything has to be bored oversize, just would not be cost effective. Rebuild or find a donor engine. Thanks for the response
    Steve [ATTACH]163631[/ATTACH[ATTACH]163632[/ATTACH[ATTACH]163633[/ATTACH[ATTACH]163634[/ATTACHName:  20170104_112307.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  34.8 KB]]]]
    Attached Images Attached Images     

My theory is that there was so much play in the crankshaft front main bearing which developed the oil leak up front by the front seal causing vibration from the oil pump gear, causing the oil pump bolt casting to break, resulting in engine failure.

My theory is that there was so much play in the crankshaft front main bearing which developed the oil leak up front by the front seal causing vibration from the oil pump gear, causing the oil pump bolt casting to break, resulting in engine failure.
    I'm thinking the failure of the pump was the result of the failure of the engine due to lack of oil from running with a leaking seal or some other reason. By the time the main bearings got to the point the pump gear bolt broke the engine was already scrap and the pump was trying it's best to keep it alive. I'm just amazed this engine was able to fight for it's life to this extent!

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast