Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: D6c cat loss of oil pressure

D6c cat loss of oil pressure

HI
    I lost oil pressure on my d6c cat and now it won't start. Any suggestions?

hey Steve, a bit more info would help. S/N for starters
    Mark

Lost oil pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Mark250 View Post
    hey Steve, a bit more info would help. S/N for starters
    Mark
    HI Mark,
    I lost oil pressure on my d6c cat 1974 year serial number 10k11.First noticed a small oil leak up front down by the flywheel pulley,I checked the oil level and was still good so I continued on pushing a tree ridge down. Worked it for about 10 minutes, noticed the engine oil pressure dropped slowly, then the engine completely shut off. Next day I disconnected oil line to the pressure gauge, started the engine, no oil coming up to the gauge, engine stopped again, nowI am dead in the water. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks,
    Steve

Does it turn over? Does it smoke while turning over?

Lost oil pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Delmer View Post
    Does it turn over? Does it smoke while turning over?
    Yes, turns over great, but little smoke. I am going to try new fuel filters this morning, but why no oil pressure? ??Does this machine have a sensor that senses no lubrication and shuts down the machine ?I am lost...

Are you perhaps somehow mistaking fuel pressure for oil pressure? Just a thought.

Yes, the machine has provision to limit to idle speed if oil pressure is lost.

Lost oil pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.ahlgren85 View Post
    HI Mark,
    I lost oil pressure on my d6c cat 1974 year serial number 10k11.First noticed a small oil leak up front down by the flywheel pulley,I checked the oil level and was still good so I continued on pushing a tree ridge down. Worked it for about 10 minutes, noticed the engine oil pressure dropped slowly, then the engine completely shut off. Next day I disconnected oil line to the pressure gauge, started the engine, no oil coming up to the gauge, engine stopped again, nowI am dead in the water. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks,
    Steve
    Thanks for your input on diagnosing my lost oil pressure. I pulled the belly pan off and the oil pan and found that the oil pump gear bolt sheared off and metal was all over the bottom of the oil pan. I will order one tomorrow morning. I just hope and pray that there is no damage to the engine. Time will tell! Thanks again
    Steve

Cat service representative said that when you loose oil pressure, the fuel pump automatically shuts down to protect the engine from further damage. That explains why the engine wouldn't keep running. Thanks again for all your help!

I would be pulling bearing caps personally

Steve, dream on about you CAT Service Rep comment, instead of ordering an oil pump I would start unbolting the engine, with no oil pressure they will run the crank out in around 5 mins, it's usually marked by a puff of black smoke as the effort to turn builds up.
    tctractors

I agree with tc. An oil pump alone isn't likely to fix that however much you would wish it to. Simply for peace of mind IMHO you should be pulling the main & rod bearing caps to inspect. It's very little extra work considering you already have the oil pan off.
    I'd love to see things from your perspective but unfortunately....... I find it impossible to get my head that far up my a$$.

To paraphrase your local friendly MD. Stick your tongue out and tell me - what's your Serial Number..?

I think that I will do that. Thanks for the suggestion. Should I replace bearing inserts as long as I have pan off? I am planning on spraying gasoline inside the crankcase.

TBH my first thought would be take a look at a couple of representative crank bearings, and based on what you see start to think straight away about yanking the engine out. Remember you can inspect the crank & bearings but what about the camshaft bearings..? You can't see those. What you're probably going to have to do to the engine at the end of the day will be much more succesfully accomplished with the engine out of the tractor where you can work on it somewhere clean & dry.
    I'd love to see things from your perspective but unfortunately....... I find it impossible to get my head that far up my a$$.

To paraphrase your local friendly MD. Stick your tongue out and tell me - what's your Serial Number..?

I took the oil filter off, bandsaw it in two, nothing obviously wrong. No metal filings or flakes that I could see, so hopefully no damage! !

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast