Thread: How to use a 4 in 1 bucket best???

How to use a 4 in 1 bucket best???

The Case loader 1155D I bought has a 4 in 1 bucket and I was looking for the best way to remove 3 inch diameter and smaller scrub.

so far keeping the clam closed and pushing with the teeth pointed straight down seems to work best.

I also tried opening the bucket half way to knock the trees over and pushing up the root ball with the blade. The small trees just bend over though.

Thanks for the advice.

Pic

Here is a pic of a backhoe using a 4-1 bucket. He is using it as a box scraper almost.

They are also really good to pick up stumps with that are to big or awkward to fit in the bucket.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Using a 4in1 like shown in that pic is a true art. But a guy who knows how to use one can do anything with it. I used to work with a company that equiped all their track loaders with 4in1s. That loader guy had to be the man. He stagged the job. Meaning he moved all the pipe, manholes, fire hydrants, built roads for trucks to bring stone, and back filled and graded up behind the whole operation.

You could try biting onto the trees, depending on how thick they are. If you snap them off, open the bucket, move so the bucket is on the other side of the spaling, set your top jaw to dig in a little bit, then backup, it will cut the roots out from underneath the remaning tree.

4:1 Usage

Hi Nicker,
    You might be better doing what you mentioned,but instead of dumping the bucket fully forward,crowd it back a little so it's about 45 degrees.Having it fully dumped & pushing with it,puts the bucket in a poor mechanical position...having it back a little aligns the bucket with the push from the boom arms.
    You'll usually find the 4:1 creeping open too....gently close it just before each push,or second push.
    Work in lower gear until you get the feel for it.

Jim