Thread: Wheel loader buckets

Wheel loader buckets

I have a rookie question. We just got a Cat 916, bucket is useable, but would like to get a quick connect and use other attachments. I see buckets and quick connects advertised for Cat 938's, 936's, 926's,etc. Are buckets that machine specific? I realize that there are some machines that have a single center bucket tip and others that have 2 arms/cylinders to tip the bucket, and some that machines are larger and wider.

It seems that buckets on similar sized machines from the same manufacturer should fit other models especially from that same manufacturer, but everything I see advertised is machine and model specific. Do I have to find a bucket or quick connect made just for a Cat 916 or are there any other models whose buckets will fit?
    Thanks for your time

not sure about cat. I know on all our john deeres and volvo michigan loaders, we use craig quick couplers, and pretty much everything fits on everything, except for the tool carriers since they have two arms/booms. But the loaders with one arm, just use a single hook with 2 pins. Hope this helps in anyway

buckets

There are several differant types of couplers out there, i would get one that works well with your needs, most system have their own style and you have to weigh the amount of money you want to spend, are you planing a 4x1 bucket, then your machine may need a extra valve and tube kit, do you want a manual lock system, or a hyd lock kit for your coupler, most buckets are not interchangable on wheel loaders except those built for that machine series , but you can take a good welder, and a boring bar and retro many in the same class, also ask your coupler co if they make a mite fit / bracket assembly for your bucket. As for the co needing the machine and make the dealers want to sell you a coupler that fits and works, often there has to be some changes to there coupler, there basic coupler may work in several weight class machines but there mounting brackets have to be moved, bucket stops installed, clearence checked, they don't like to pay for damage to your machine, most kits have alot of things to check at the time of install.

Quote Originally Posted by Young James View Post
    not sure about cat. I know on all our john deeres and volvo michigan loaders, we use craig quick couplers, and pretty much everything fits on everything, except for the tool carriers since they have two arms/booms. But the loaders with one arm, just use a single hook with 2 pins. Hope this helps in anyway
    A CAT916 would be a Class 20 wheel loader in the Craig system. We put 12065 Quick Keys on all machines in that size range. You'd be able to pick up any other bucket made for any other Class 20 machine but your geometry might be a little wonky. That means if you pickup a bucket for a Volvo it will probably wont go through the full range of motion without hitting something.

Sheepfoot has a good point about hydraulics. If you go with a hyrdraulic pin option you are going to have the extra cost of running lines and an extra valve. You can get manual pins but then your jumping in and out of the machine every time you want to change and if you don't keep on top of your maintenance they can get sticky. The hydraulic pins will line themselves up, you've got to be dead on with the manual.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

there are many quick change manufacturers are most universal fit