Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 74 case 350 crawler loader resortation

Since I didn't get a chance to machine a liner puller today, I decided to tackle the lack of 1st gear. I had to wiggle under the loader frame on some plywood to get to the bottom bolts (4 total) then holding the right steer handle, blink twice, pray to allah while throwing snake oil over your right shoulder; the assembly came out. woo! Of course the shift fork was very SLIGHTLY rusted to the shaft which kept it bound. -_- whanged it with a hammer, cleaned the shaft up with a file and went to reassemble.
    I learned something today.... there is a special place in hell for the person who designed this transmission.... I tried probably 20 different times and 20 different ways to stab the shifter assembly back into its hole... then I had to fight with the bolt behind the shifter housing since theres barely room for 1 finger. Thankfully its together and shifts into all its gears. In hindsight; if I had removed the 1" hydraulic line feeding the block, it might had been easier.

Name:  IMAG0027.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  47.3 KBName:  IMAG0029.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  60.9 KBName:  IMAG0030.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  42.6 KBName:  IMAG0031.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  43.8 KBName:  IMAG0032.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  36.5 KB

The working area for this wasn't the easiest. Better limber up if you have to take on this job. (pic of the transmission) 1st gear is on the left, 2nd and 3rd are on the right.
    Name:  IMAG0034.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  27.5 KBName:  IMAG0035.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  36.2 KB
    Last edited by hvguy; 10-06-2016 at 06:45 AM.

you need to gift yourself a pressure washer and clean that ol girl up before tearing it apart, makes it much easier and cleaner in the long run..looking good so far..

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    you need to gift yourself a pressure washer and clean that ol girl up before tearing it apart, makes it much easier and cleaner in the long run..looking good so far..
    While I agree with you 110% I don't have water at my shop. However you better believe when I get this thing running, I'm talking it to the car wash with $50 in quarters. There's literally 3" of grease and dirt in the skid plate. However, all the metal has been protected from rust 👍

you can fill 55 gallon drums with water or a bigger tank and just use a small electric utility pump or even gravity feed it( if you lift the drums or tank above the pressure washer) into a pressure washer to use...I think the car wash might object to that..LOL....nothing like 3 inches of grease to stop rust...but you end up wearing much of it as you work under her...seeing whats going on is half the battle..all those clumps of dirt and grease hinder working and taking apart, the less that gets into the internals the better..1 piece of grit in the hydraulic system can be a real *&%#@%& ...
    Last edited by Hobbytime; 10-06-2016 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    you can fill 55 gallon drums with water or a bigger tank and just use a small electric utility pump or even gravity feed it( if you lift the drums or tank above the pressure washer) into a pressure washer to use...I think the car wash might object to that..LOL....nothing like 3 inches of grease to stop rust...but you end up wearing much of it as you work under her...seeing whats going on is half the battle..all those clumps of dirt and grease hinder working and taking apart, the less that gets into the internals the better..1 piece of grit in the hydraulic system can be a real *&%#@%& ...
    While I have one of those big square totes, I feel its my environmental duty to not wash a bunch of grease into the water table. Ill be washing it at night to avoid problems lol.

Quote Originally Posted by hvguy View Post
    while i have one of those big square totes, i feel its my environmental duty to not wash a bunch of grease into the water table. Ill be washing it at night to avoid problems lol.
    lmao..........

Got to pull some sleeves out last night. Turned out not to be as easy as I had seen it done on youtube. I machined out a liner puller... mandrel? And a stationary block up top to attach all thread through and crank the nut till it popped. Unfortunately it was my jig that buckled and popped the welds loose.
    Name:  IMAG0038.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  30.0 KBName:  IMAG0042.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  32.4 KBName:  IMAG0043.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  42.9 KBName:  IMAG0044.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  23.0 KBName:  IMAG0045.jpg
Size:  45.4 KB

Determined to not have the whole night wasted... I went with the "i need a bigger hammer approach" and made a 21lb 2 handed slide hammer out of some scrap that was lying around. I didnt bother with cylinder 1 and went straight to #2, 15-20 hard pulls popped it out. Then I called it a day. I just went over there and sprayed everything down with PB blaster penetrating catalyst; put the hammer on #1 and pulled it out in 5 hits. I transferred the hammer to #3 and snapped the all thread... time to upgrade from 1/2 to 5/8.
    Name:  IMAG0050.jpg
Size:  39.9 KBName:  IMAG0051.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  37.7 KBName:  IMAG0052.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  46.5 KBName:  IMAG0053.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  22.1 KBName:  IMAG0054.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  35.9 KB

You've definitely got the right idea, but is that aluminium? You will need to make it out of steel. And probably step up from 1/2" to 5/8 or 3/4 threaded rod.

Edit. I posted this while you were putting up your second post. Good to see you got them out.
    So, what's your serial number?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmark View Post
    You've definitely got the right idea, but is that aluminium? You will need to make it out of steel. And probably step up from 1/2" to 5/8 or 3/4 threaded rod.

Edit. I posted this while you were putting up your second post. Good to see you got them out.
    yeah, aluminum is pretty strong, Example: I had a nut the same thickness as the aluminum mandrel on the bottom, the nut and rod gave out (30,000psi) and the aluminum is good as new. Probably because I form tapped it "hardened"

Just uploaded a video of it, its in 4k, but may take a while to be available in full quality.
    https://youtu.be/W2-exVvzikc

wow, are those dry liners? Mine are wet liners and popped out easily with a block of wood and hammer from the bottom. On the bad cylinder the liner actually came out with the piston/rod. My Massey tractor has dry liners and we cut the liner partially thru from top to bottom on opposite sides with a hacksaw blade and they broke out easily.
    Case 450B loader
    Case 1150 dozer
    Case 430CK loader/backhoe
    JD755 loader
    Cat D7 3T dozer
    MF1080 tractor
    MF265 tractor
    Int B414 tractor

Quote Originally Posted by bronco71 View Post
    wow, are those dry liners? Mine are wet liners and popped out easily with a block of wood and hammer from the bottom. On the bad cylinder the liner actually came out with the piston/rod. My Massey tractor has dry liners and we cut the liner partially thru from top to bottom on opposite sides with a hacksaw blade and they broke out easily.
    They are wet, problem is I don't think anyone ever used coolant, and the block is rusted to death

Quote Originally Posted by hvguy View Post
    They are wet, problem is I don't think anyone ever used coolant, and the block is rusted to death
    Oh, I see. Thought that is the same motor as mine. Mine went together nicely and has been about a year now with no problems with the engine.
    Case 450B loader
    Case 1150 dozer
    Case 430CK loader/backhoe
    JD755 loader
    Cat D7 3T dozer
    MF1080 tractor
    MF265 tractor
    Int B414 tractor

It's a case 188d engine, as long as I can get the injector pump cleaned up, block de-scaled and reassemble, it should be good for a long time. Lots to do still.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast