Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dressta/Dresser/International....Thoughts?

Banned
    Steelman the d32,d38and the d39 are basically a dresser . komatsu and dresser became partners in 88 dresser built those dozers for komatsu.My td8 has the international dt239 engine in it.i rebuilt that engine a couple of years ago and all my part where komatsu.

Dressta

We just got the dealership here in central Pa. the couple new one we have in the yard seem like a well built machine we have a TD40 comeing soon with a weight of 140,000lb as we have a customer that would like several of them

Dressta

A guy on the Redpower site recently stated that he was a contractor running a new 9H Dressta,& said he was very happy with the machine & back-up.
    I think he said he was also happy with the track frames/trimming ability of the machine.I haven't heard any bad stories about them so far.It may pay you to look deeper into these machines.
    Jim

Talking

I've run TD25B's & TD25C's and found them to be fairly reliable tractors.

Our TD25B's towed Cat 463 scrapers and the TD25C's were used for pushloading & ripping (along with the Terex's, a D8 and a couple of Allis-Chalmers tractors).
    The TD25B handled a scraper real well and was fast but we did have quite a few problems with the idler seals leaking.
    Other than that they just kept on going.

I've not had the pleasure of operating any of the products from Dressta so I can't comment there other than on appearance - they look firmly rooted in the 1970's !

We've got a TD-6-62 track loader that is just plain wonderful. Besides the fact that the left clutch is stuck, and that the over and back clutch handles have been weak, its a great machine that has never let us down. Its far more powerful than it looks, and in fact I think has more shear power and pushing force than our D3 which is a bit bigger I think. Anyway I don't know much about Dressers except that my dad and grandfather would rent TD-8's and 9's when they needed a larger dozer and loved them to death. So I'd certainly suggest Dressta if they still make machines near as good as the old Dressers and Internationals. Also I'd be especially excited now that they have reintroduced the TD-7 which is just the perfect size of dozer for so many jobs.

I have two dresser td15c one with the ih 466 motor and one with the 505 Cummins both are great dozers. also have a dresser 412b scraper and its been a good machine.parts are easy to get from komatsu or used and aftermarket.I would love to see independent dresser\dressta dealers.

Dresser Dozers

We have been using International/Dresser dozers for the past 35 years. We've had 175B & 250C track loaders, TD-20C & TD-25C bulldozers in the past. We currently have a Td-20E, which we converted to an L-10 Cummins engine, and 3 TD-20G's bulldozer. We also have a 175C loader and a 412B Scraper.

We get our parts through the local Komatsu dealer. We recently rebuilt a transmission on a TD-20G LGP. Most of the parts were Komatsu, but some were Dresser. We ended up having to sent back some of the parts. The Komatsu parts were taken back with a restocking fee. Dresser would not take back their parts.

The last Td-20E was built in 1987 in the U.S. The first Td-20G was made in 1987 and all were made in Poland.

Charter Member
    In about 2000, I noticed Alabama all the county dept. and the ADOT started using Dressta ' dozers and 515 wheel loaders. Ive run a TD15 Dresta and I really liked it. They say they are one of the simplest ones to work on right now. Very comfortable and dependable to. Tractor and Equipment Company the nearest Alabama Komatsu dealer always has a TD 9 out front. Their website the machines look to carry al lthe looks of the older machines to.

Dressta

my father and his father before only bought international machines....td6 skid shovel , td9 skid shovel, 3616 backhoe and 640 hoe. they very reliable as far as i remember. i bought a 1968 international 175b loader in 2001 and the local komatsu dealer had a lot of parts in stock. pretty sure the current 175c loader was made in poland at that point too. they were not high tech but they got the job done....my fathers machines were never worked hard though and only logged about a few hundred hours a year . the komatsu / dressta marriage fell apart a few years ago so im not sure if komatsu still has parts. the dressta line of machines is no longer listed on the komatsu web site.i often wonder what would have happened if cat was the loser in the early 80s recesion and international came out on top. aside from the td30 a lot of the machines were pretty solid from what ive been told.

i worked for a mass grading outfit who's owner HATED cat iron. he gave me my first real seat time on a big dozer. he had 3 td 25's. a c and 2 g's. i started on the g and he eventually let me have the c. it was hotrodded. cut head, big injectors, turned up pump, and bigger turbo. what a monster. in the dark of the early morning that pig would pour out 3" flames from the stack.BIG straight pipe so the neighbors knew you were diggin. that tractor ruined me. it was so comfortable and the 2 speed steering made slope work and big cuts so easy. i would rather run a td25 than a high track 8 and it would be a toss up between a 25 and an 8h.
    SO MOTE IT BE.
    the qball fan club
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...id=42336642940
    the qball youtube page
    http://www.youtube.com/qball671

I just bought a international 175 have not run it yet. Hopefully its a good dozer!

Quote Originally Posted by alco View Post
    I worked for a contractor who used to be a International Dresser mechanic and then salesman. Needless to say, he was kind of partial to them....go figure.

Now, to be honest, they weren't the fanciest machines we had, but they didn't give us half the problems that the other machines did. We had a fair number of them as well, in terms of dozers alone, we had a TD12C, TD15C, TD15E, TD25C, 3 TD25E, and 2 TD25G machines.

There were a few things that weren't as nice to work on as some other machines, but they were easy to keep running and very reliable. If I was looking for a dozer and found a Dresser in good condition, I wouldn't hesitate.

Now, as for Dressta, the dealer we had also handled Komatsu and they weren't interested in bringing in any Dresstas for us. So I can't say how the new versions are to deal with.

Brian
    I'm sure alco is familiar with Voice, one of Albertas large older construction companies, they used to have quite abit of International equipment in the day, look under company and history for a short vid......some pretty interesting stories back then.

http://www.voiceconst.com/

I'd say you need good product, service and support, you won't stand a chance today without all 3........
    Last edited by hardtail; 11-12-2009 at 11:49 PM.

Talking about Voice reminded me of a buddy working for them along the Sh Pk freeway for Byers transport in 79, it was about -30C and a cab would have been welcome on the 25.........LOL

alco your friend used to work for Vulcan equipment???????
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by hardtail; 11-13-2009 at 12:56 AM.

I have run almost all brands of dozers and I have recently run a dressta td 15 for the first time. I was working in a natural gas compressor station running a track hoe digging ditch for a new line. There was another contractor there working beside us they owned the dressta which is the first one that I'v ever seen. I walked over and asked the operator what he thought of it well lets just say he had nothing good to say about it at all he did tell me that it had 1500 hours and the engine and trans were out 3 times!! Well that night we worked late we got our line put in and I went to backfilling our ditch with the dressta I ran it for about 2 hours. I must say that it did have power but it was by far the worst fit and finish of any machine I have ever ran the quality was like it should be sold at harbor freight My guess is that it was cheap thats why they bought it but I would say that its only worth its weight for scrap!!!

Grandpa had been running IH, then Dresser for over 60 years and the reason we went with them was cause they treated us well and were great machines. I'd take my 15C over ANY CAT 6. Of the two I run right now(one we still own, other for the company i work for) one has 22K on it, with 7 on the engine(8.3L Cummins) and the other has 24K on it with 21K on the engine(8.3L Cummins, and yes its due for a rebuild). Those machines have moved a ton of dirt and rocks and timber over the years and we have been very happy with them. My boss told our owner that we are NEVEr getting rid of that 15, just going to do a complete on it and go again someday.

Trbo
    Doing what I can with what I got!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast