Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: is there such a thing?

is there such a thing?

does cat make a D12?
    have they ever?
    i'm having an arguement with a friend that needs to be put to rest!!

if there is such a thing some pics would be great

Their working on it and I hear its going to be Nuclear powered!

Okay. maybe not. I read that on another forum and thought it was funny. As far as I know they never have but they can keep secrets pretty good. I doubt it though.

Way back when...........

As far as i can remember, and i'm only a young bloke, They did make a D12 back when the high track first came in. But they remaned the whole fleet and the D12 then became the new D11. Some of the old timers might know a bit more about the whole process.

Cat has never made a D12. It was the old D10 that became the D11, When they did the size correction on the machines at the N series introduction. There has been rumors of a D12 for some time but i cannot see it. The D11 is a very popular machine with hundreds if not thousands in use worldwide. In comparison, the komatsu D575, which a D12 would have to compete with, has somewhere south of 70 units worldwide last time I checked. Mainly due to its large size. I have also heard that a D11 can almost match a D575 in production due to the speed at which it travels. Add to this the ease of manuverability of the cat and i think the D11 will be at the top of cats dozer list for a while yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tomsy View Post
    As far as i can remember, and I'm only a young bloke, They did make a D12 back when the high track first came in. But they remaned the whole fleet and the D12 then became the new D11. Some of the old timers might know a bit more about the whole process.
    You are not quite right, the D11 model was formerly a D10, when they developed the D8N which was a completely new model the 8L became a 9N, the 9L became a 10N and the 10 became the 11. I have no idea whether their are any plans to build a D12 in the future, I think it would be a limited market. I am sure if we follow this thread, we will soon be finding out.

Russell
    Dig it deep, tip it high!!

Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums tomsy!

No Cat D12 BUT - - - - - - - - - -

Hi, Ronburgandy.
    I have never heard any mention of a D12 being projected, researched, engineered, designed, built or released. However, this concept sketch of a D13 'Millenium' dozer did come my way some months ago and I waited to see if they would exhibit it at Conexpo but it was a no-show so I'll let the Cat out of the bag now.

The sketch and text together were too big a file to post here so I've had to split them. I've also added a couple of other ideas that the person who sent them to me assures me Cat are contemplating, based on the highly successful Cat D11R tractor. Just where he gets his information from, I have no idea but, thank you, Swishy, of ACMOC and ACME forums fame.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    You have a wonderful day.
    Best wishes.
    Deas Plant.

Date of release.....April 1st
    Regards from the Scrub somewhere near Karratha, Western Australia

Squizzy

Its better to be ignorant and ask a Stupid Question than to be plain Dumb and not ask at all - Screamed by High School Maths Teacher, 1979

they have the blueprints for it but i have been told they have not made one yet. Although from another source told me it was somewhere in Wyoming, Montana somewhere out there. at some top secret job. He is a good source older man but i would have to see some proof
    CASE

Can't Attempt Serious Excavation

Can't Afford Something Else

Can't Accomplish Stupid Exercises

a guy where i work swears that he worked on a job back in the early 90s where cat was trying out a d12, he said it was too big for the tracks, had too many probs, i called bs we argued awhile, then i gave up.but he still swears he saw it.
    this is what you got, make something happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lashlander View Post
    Their working on it and I hear its going to be Nuclear powered!
    Thats what i hear, but they are having problems producing a flux capacitor for it. They tried the one from the delorian in back to the future, but it keep making the dozer float off the ground

I'm not a member to cat's top brass, but I bet we will see an expansion of the electric d-7e's to more dozers sizes soon, if the productivity and reliability are what they say it is. I think that we will see smaller and more efficient/productive equipment in the future rather than bigger. I'd bet cat would bring the d-2 back as a hystast mini grading dozer before making a limited use, high cost, limited market, mega dozer.

Just imagine the undercaridge nightmare on that DD11 SXSXS!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo21835 View Post
    Thats what i hear, but they are having problems producing a flux capacitor for it. They tried the one from the delorian in back to the future, but it keep making the dozer float off the ground
    Were they using the Mr. Coffee grinder to precharge the fuel for the flux capacitor? I hear beer + the can is the ultimate fuel
    Pin it to win it

Suspicious mind.

Hi, Squizzy.
    You have a nasty suspicious mind. And if you knew Swishy, you'd feel totally justified. LOL.
    You have a wonderful day.
    Best wishes.
    Deas Plant.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast