Thread: slipform paver

Cool slipform paver

This is very much like the gutter and kerb machine in another thread, just that it has a different mold on it.
    I had only previously seen the top of the finished slot drainage channel as I was trimming the stone fill at its sides ready for blacktop.
    I was to see it had a bit hole up the middle, thought that you might be as suprised as me.
    The last pic shows the air blower that keeps the tube inflated while the concrete sets, it runs off a normal site compressor. Once the concrete is set the tube is deflated and removed threw the slot on top.

When the channel is finished the mold will be changed and the concrete barrier will be formed.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    If their no good in the seat, put them on their feet.
    www.Robtaylorplanthireltd.co.uk

type 1

For the past couple of weeks I have been with a gang / crew placing and trimming the type 1 fill to either side of the slot drain.
    Due to the depth it has to go in 2 layers, so the nightshift have been doing the first one and work off the other carriageway as the QMB gets shifted.
    But they only have a short window 10pm until 5am which actually only gives them about 5hrs working time. To try and keep things simple we do the trimming in the daylight, less people on the ground in the dark to keep it safer.
    I dig the stone out of the truck and then tip the last bit, otherwise the stone ends up going into the barrier and is a pain for the lads to clean out.

I do the other side same way, only I can get my oscillating bucket in there as its a bit wider. Thats the side the barrier will go.

Once we finish, one layer of blacktop goes in.
    Then the road plainer ( haven't managed to get pics as it does it at night ) cuts two steps for the next layers of blacktop to tie in to.
    Then the barrier gets slipformed, ( see other thread ) finally the wearing course goes down, the cones magically disappear and its finished.

Probationary Member
    How to handle the cracks on?
    I heve a problem whit supervisir, so water can go to the road construction and then ....

What is your min radius, whit your machine? for example curb

I use slipform paver for offset job and roads 15 years. CMI, Wirtgen and Gomaco.

Quote Originally Posted by luzer View Post
    How to handle the cracks on?
    I heve a problem whit supervisir, so water can go to the road construction and then ....

What is your min radius, whit your machine? for example curb

I use slipform paver for offset job and roads 15 years. CMI, Wirtgen and Gomaco.
    Hi Luzer, sorry I dont run the paver, I know nothing about them in the tech department.
    Do you mean cracks in the concrete channel. The day after laying they cut crack inducers about 2" deep with a disc cutter about every 10 feet.

More channel

Another job and guess what trimming stone for channel.

Name:  plant 014.jpg
Views: 1211
Size:  91.6 KB

Different machine and mold this time and I learnt something.
    I was not impressed when I came in next morning and saw some muppet had dug holes all along my finished stone

Name:  plant 001.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  78.6 KB

But there is method in the madness

Name:  plant 002.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  77.9 KB

The holes are for the extra concrete where the barrier posts go, the fencing gang quite literally bang the new posts into the wet concrete behind the paver, run a float around the post and its done

Name:  plant 003.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  72.8 KB

The only way I had seen it done previously was to core the holes out after at about 40 each I believe

Name:  plant 017.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  71.2 KB

Thumbs up concrete corer

Finally caught up with one of the machines that cuts the holes in the concrete for the new crash barrier posts.

That is really nice work, and very quick it seems. We still use hand trowels to do that here.
    If at first you don't succeed, lubricate or make bigger! If you don't have a 'plan B', plan 'A' is bound to fail