Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat 3204

Cat 3204

We got a Cat 916 that has the Cat 3204 engine and it is rated at 86 hp turbocharged, the 926 has the 3204 and it is rated at 105, I was wondering if anyone had any information on what the differerence is? Is the pump turned up? is it a different pump? All the specs on the 2 machines seem to be the same except for the hp. Thanks

Boots, your stretching my memory...but the pump is totally recalibrated, different injectors and I'm pretty sure the cooling system capacity was increased. I hardly touched the 3204's but unlike the different versions of the 3208, 3408 etc the changes were not too dramatic....better ask an expert cause I have something in the back of my mind about timing on the fuel pump...or was it the fuel pump cam.....delivery valves..Hmmmm

How old is the 916 and 926?. I ask cause the older 3204 had the pre-combustion (indirect injection) and you couldn't really turn them up....well too much anyway
    Last edited by Squizzy246B; 03-06-2008 at 08:24 AM.
    Regards from the Scrub somewhere near Karratha, Western Australia

Squizzy

Its better to be ignorant and ask a Stupid Question than to be plain Dumb and not ask at all - Screamed by High School Maths Teacher, 1979

It is a 1987 model. Seems like it is a newer generation, but I'm new to Cat machines.

Australia? hope to get there someday, beautiful country. Reading this forum with posts from all over the world, it seems that heavy equipment and Cat are universal languages.

Should be a DI engine then but its best to get a Cat dealer to run the serial number to give you some data and any history.
    Regards from the Scrub somewhere near Karratha, Western Australia

Squizzy

Its better to be ignorant and ask a Stupid Question than to be plain Dumb and not ask at all - Screamed by High School Maths Teacher, 1979

Probationary Member

cat 3204 engine

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a D3 Cat with a bad engine. It has a Cat 3204 engine. My question is are all 3204 the same meaning will they all bolt up? How hard are they to come by used?

Thanks

Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums 68jbo!

Exclamation

My experence with the 3204 is that they do not hold out well , most of the used machines with them have some kind of engine problem, . I believe cat do not make them any more. and a good running one is hard to find .

Quote Originally Posted by QUANIE View Post
    My experence with the 3204 is that they do not hold out well , most of the used machines with them have some kind of engine problem, . I believe cat do not make them any more. and a good running one is hard to find .
    I just want to disagree a little. I think the 3204 turbo with the higher horsepower ratings have a real poor history. The natural aspirated low horsepower did real well. Our 943 went 15000 hours plus before overhaul. It used a certain amount of oil from day 1 and only increased oil used at the end. It didn't break, just needed overhaul.

I gess your experence was better than mine , I had Three D3s and all went down with engine problems, not for lack of service .

Quote Originally Posted by QUANIE View Post
    I gess your experence was better than mine , I had Three D3s and all went down with engine problems, not for lack of service .
    Actually I was worried about that engine from the time we bought the machine especially since they had a two ring piston. We had terrible service from 3208s and I was expecting problems. We did change bearings around 9000 hours when they pulled the engine to change the hydraulic pump. Other than 1 set of injectors and seals, a waterpump that was about it. There were a few other 943s in town and it seems that they did pretty well with the engine. Many 953's with the turbo and I think none of them went even five or six thousand hours.

Anybody no block heater location 916 3204 engine

Quote Originally Posted by z656 View Post
    Anybody no block heater location 916 3204 engine
    Replaces the core plug on the right side of the
    engine just below the turbocharger, according to instructions. Never done one. With the factory start assist system ours has started at 10 below although not too nice on motor. Down to 0 no problem. Block heater is much better for the engine.

block heater

Thanks Komastu 150 for location install went well

Your welcome. If the heater uses the same goofy hardware to hold it as the ones from Cat that we used to install on 3208s, I'd keep an eye on it for a while. Had at least two jump out of the block.

Just out of curiosity, I'm guessing the 3204 is a four cylinder version of the 3208. Is it an in line 4 or V4?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast