Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Fuel Consumption

  1. #1
    Senior Member Reuben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    north central pa
    Posts
    447

    Fuel Consumption

    How much fuel per hour or 8 hr day would a ~350 size excavator , d6 dozer, (A35) truck burn?
    A FOOL AND HIS EQUIPMENT ARE SOON PARTED

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    179
    In my experience - Rented a D6R LGP to fill clay over a hyd dredge spoils site, long story short, I think I had those wide tracks pulling through the mud pushing a blade full of heavy clay working about as hard as you can work a D6, and I could only get it to burn about 10 gal/hr (I suspect in normal conditions, with narrow tracks it would be a gal or two less). I wasn't purposely trying to see how much fuel I could burn, just worked out that way . I have been told that 345Cs burn 7gal/hr on average, and a friend of mine that runs A25Cs claims they burn about 45-50 gal in a 8-10 hr day. Hope some of that helps.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    83
    It all depends on the excavator.

    A cat 330 will use between 10 and 14 gallons per hour.

    And an Hitachi 350 or Komatsu 300 will use between 5 and 8 gallons per hour.
    Last edited by Jon; 03-03-2008 at 07:23 PM.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Walpole, MA
    Posts
    70
    My PC400-LC3 uses about 50 gallons per 8 hour day semi hard digging.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Reuben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    north central pa
    Posts
    447
    Thanks a million guys.I am figuring a bid and I needed to know fuel consumption.Now I just have to try and gamble on how much fuel is going to go up. On road is up to $3.85 here.
    A FOOL AND HIS EQUIPMENT ARE SOON PARTED

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Walpole, MA
    Posts
    70
    It won't be too long before it is $4/gallon. Bid appropriately! You might have to cut it close to the bone but don't cut too close or you will bleed green! If it is too close you might be better off parking your stuff before losing money!

  7. #7
    Senior Member dayexco's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    south dakota
    Posts
    1,163
    Quote Originally Posted by camara View Post
    My PC400-LC3 uses about 50 gallons per 8 hour day semi hard digging.
    that's VERY economical! touch over 6 gals per her. my 690 deere, 210 hyundai, and 210 case all burn between 6-7 gals
    do you teach best what you need to learn the most?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Dirtman2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    1,202
    Quote Originally Posted by dayexco View Post
    that's VERY economical! touch over 6 gals per her. my 690 deere, 210 hyundai, and 210 case all burn between 6-7 gals
    That seems just an little high

    Steady digging with the volvo 210 used about 5 gals max. the daewoo
    220's are even better at 4-5 gals an hour. you can get 12-14 hrs out of a tank.
    Chris

    To see our equipment in action:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

  9. #9
    Senior Member dayexco's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    south dakota
    Posts
    1,163
    all 3 machines have approx 80 gal tanks...in 12 hrs., you'd best be looking for fuel
    do you teach best what you need to learn the most?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    119

    Fuel Consumption

    Yes, I think I would figure one tank of fuel per machine per 12 hour day is safe. If you are really able to push them consider one tank per 8 hours.

    Fuel consumption CANNOT be stated as a given as a general stated burn rate...I do not care what your salesman tells you about XYZ machine!!! While there are slight differences in the rated fuel burn per HP/ hour as rated by the engine manufacturer, it all comes to Load factor on the engine. For example. If you were to install a fuel flow meter on X engine on X excavator, truck, whatever..and STALL the Hydraulics or torque converter at max HP setting on any job selector switch, that is 100% load factor. Note, do not do this for more than a few minutes or a HUGE amount of heat will build up.
    Now put the machine to work in whatever job you want and remeasure the fuel flow again. The difference between full load factor fuel flow and working fuel flow is the load factor. A good operator can run an excavator at around 80% load factor..BUT that means it cannot be waiting for trucks or setting pipe, which reduces the load factor and so fuel consumption. Operators alone can change production and fuel consumption in the same machine by up to 15%.
    If you have enough trucks to keep the excavator CONSTANTLY running, you might hit 70-75% load factor. Spoil piling, as in cross country, could hit 80-85%. Waiting on trucks could lower the load factor down to 50-60% and the same with fuel comsumption.
    Efficiency is how many cubic yard per gallon of fuel used. Bucket size now comes into play, as it might speed up the loading, depending upon material and digging conditions, but it will increase fuel consumption as the load factor rises to lift the heavy bucket.
    Hope this helps.
    I will now get off my soap box.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Reuben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    north central pa
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by drag1line View Post
    Yes, I think I would figure one tank of fuel per machine per 12 hour day is safe. If you are really able to push them consider one tank per 8 hours.

    Fuel consumption CANNOT be stated as a given as a general stated burn rate...I do not care what your salesman tells you about XYZ machine!!! While there are slight differences in the rated fuel burn per HP/ hour as rated by the engine manufacturer, it all comes to Load factor on the engine. For example. If you were to install a fuel flow meter on X engine on X excavator, truck, whatever..and STALL the Hydraulics or torque converter at max HP setting on any job selector switch, that is 100% load factor. Note, do not do this for more than a few minutes or a HUGE amount of heat will build up.
    Now put the machine to work in whatever job you want and remeasure the fuel flow again. The difference between full load factor fuel flow and working fuel flow is the load factor. A good operator can run an excavator at around 80% load factor..BUT that means it cannot be waiting for trucks or setting pipe, which reduces the load factor and so fuel consumption. Operators alone can change production and fuel consumption in the same machine by up to 15%.
    If you have enough trucks to keep the excavator CONSTANTLY running, you might hit 70-75% load factor. Spoil piling, as in cross country, could hit 80-85%. Waiting on trucks could lower the load factor down to 50-60% and the same with fuel comsumption.
    Efficiency is how many cubic yard per gallon of fuel used. Bucket size now comes into play, as it might speed up the loading, depending upon material and digging conditions, but it will increase fuel consumption as the load factor rises to lift the heavy bucket.
    Hope this helps.
    I will now get off my soap box.
    We were just talking about that today in the office. we need to figure cubic yards per gallon. We set up our excell bid sheet to figure our bids that way.
    A FOOL AND HIS EQUIPMENT ARE SOON PARTED

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NW Iowa
    Posts
    33
    Our 345C averages 13 gals. per hour

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    83
    Wow a KOMATSU PC400-LC averages about 6 gallons an hour.
    Last edited by Jon; 03-04-2008 at 10:59 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    268
    This is a thread that I started about the D6R fuel consumption. Check it out
    http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/...ead.php?t=4996

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Wow a KOMATSU PC400-LC averages about 6 gallons an hour.
    See above discussion on load factor. A 300 HP machine cannot and will not burn 6 gallons and hour have actually be digging productively.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •