Thread: How many yards will my dump truck hold?

How many yards will my dump truck hold?

I have a 1987 GMC 7000 series dump truck with a box that measures 10' long 7'3" wide 30" tall.How many yds. of fill dirt will it hold?I found some dirt 1.5 miles from my house for $1 a yard.I load and I haul.Is this the going rate for buying fill dirt?I need a bunch to fill in a old pond.Please Help!

Quote Originally Posted by 69zfarmer View Post
    I have a 1987 GMC 7000 series dump truck with a box that measures 10' long 7'3" wide 30" tall.How many yds. of fill dirt will it hold?I found some dirt 1.5 miles from my house for $1 a yard.I load and I haul.Is this the going rate for buying fill dirt?I need a bunch to fill in a old pond.Please Help!
    well if my math is right with the bed level it should hold 6.75 yards of dirt. If the dirt is good I would say $1.00 a yard is a very good price.

10 x 7.3 x 2.5 (30"/12" to get 2.5 feet) = 182.5 cy ft/ 27 = 6.75 cy yards
    Chris

To see our equipment in action:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

dirtman i do believe your math is right.

Well to be really picky, 7'3" would be 7.25'. 7'4" would be 7.3'.
    But I'm not that picky. Besides what's 1 cu ft between friends...

69zfarmer, through some big sideboards on her and load it up

Quote Originally Posted by 69zfarmer View Post
    As far as volume is concerned the guys are about right at between 6-7 yards more if you heep it up. There is also one thing you have to be aware of and thats overloading the axle, tires, etc. I think topsoil runs right around one ton per yard depending on the moisture content and gravel right around 1.5 ton per yard. So if you don,t have a scale handy that is the rule of thumb I use. The box on my 86 Internatiol 1900 is pritty close to yours in sise and the most I can hall leagally is 6 to 7 yard 8 ton net being max, (legal)..

how bigs the pond? 8 yds at a crack might take some time and fuel