Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: painting Excavator

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    ct
    Posts
    97

    painting Excavator

    Hey fellows I m looking for info on painting my excavator how do you guys go about painting ,thanks hope Im in the write post KMSEXC

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    south texas
    Posts
    173
    What condition is the machine in? Is it rusty? How greasy is it? Has it been repainted before?
    Legdoc

    2012 Kubota SVL-90
    2010 Shelby GT 500 (birthday present to myself)
    2009 Kubota M9540
    2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
    2004 Case 580M Turbo 4x4 extendahoe
    1998 Kubota M6800
    1989 F-700 370 gasser 6yd. dump
    Fiat-Allis (A-C) M-100 grader
    John Deere 690-A excavator
    I-R 185cfm compressor sandblast rig

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR & Eatonville, WA
    Posts
    308
    Here is a page from Ritchie Brothers that has the basic steps.

    http://www.rbauction.com/refurbishin...ng_service.jsp

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    ct
    Posts
    97

    machine condition

    Quote Originally Posted by Legdoc View Post
    What condition is the machine in? Is it rusty? How greasy is it? Has it been repainted before?
    Machine is greasy from maintenance, one dent on side , but beside age it is a tight machine Never painted Thanks KMS
    Last edited by KMSEXC; 02-16-2008 at 09:33 PM.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    ct
    Posts
    97

    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Kgmz View Post
    Here is a page from Ritchie Brothers that has the basic steps.

    http://www.rbauction.com/refurbishin...ng_service.jsp
    Thanks for info

  6. #6
    Senior Member ASPHALT04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    132
    The approach I would take is oil and grease remover and a hot pressure washer to start. Just remember the more time you take cleaning it with pressure washer is less hand cleaning once its inside.
    I painted equipment for years in the winter time and cleaniless is next to godilness!
    From there it all depends on the quality of the paint job your looking for determines the next steps I would go thru.....auction paint jobs to me are far less than what I would perfer, but I'm a little anal about that kind of thing though.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    south texas
    Posts
    173
    I am in the process of refurbishing a JD 690 excavator. It was a ex city machine with poor maintenance, very dirty with worn boom bushings.
    I started with a double application of rig wash followed by a thorough hot water 4000 psi wash. After a thorough inspection the boom and frame bushings were replaced followed by a complete removal of the electrical harness. Another degrease and hot pressure wash then by section I blasted the areas white with black beauty and immediately followed with epoxy primer. Imron is the final coat applied the next day or two. I did remove the glass and do some sheet metal work. It is nice how good she is starting to look! But it is alot of work even with the proper equipment. I am about 50% done. It is taking quite some time and the project has been on hold due to other priorities. If you are going to do it yourself my advice is degrease degrease degrease then you are ready to get started with your paint job.
    Good luck!
    Legdoc

    2012 Kubota SVL-90
    2010 Shelby GT 500 (birthday present to myself)
    2009 Kubota M9540
    2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
    2004 Case 580M Turbo 4x4 extendahoe
    1998 Kubota M6800
    1989 F-700 370 gasser 6yd. dump
    Fiat-Allis (A-C) M-100 grader
    John Deere 690-A excavator
    I-R 185cfm compressor sandblast rig

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    ct
    Posts
    97

    Starting to paint

    Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT04 View Post
    The approach I would take is oil and grease remover and a hot pressure washer to start. Just remember the more time you take cleaning it with pressure washer is less hand cleaning once its inside.
    I painted equipment for years in the winter time and cleaniless is next to godilness!
    From there it all depends on the quality of the paint job your looking for determines the next steps I would go thru.....auction paint jobs to me are far less than what I would perfer, but I'm a little anal about that kind of thing though.
    Im going to start spraying in the am i let you know how it came out ive been cleaing and sanding for four days hope it comes out nice

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    855

    painting

    Quote Originally Posted by KMSEXC View Post
    Im going to start spraying in the am i let you know how it came out ive been cleaing and sanding for four days hope it comes out nice
    I think I gave my 2 cents about this before, but heres what I do. Cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning, is the key word. In my area we have guys with the hot water pressure waters that come out and clean it, for about $200, they do a great job. I have my own pressure washer, but that hot water is the trick. Do the body work, or buy replacement panels from a salvage yard. a bunch of trouble to pull the glass, but if its rusted bad around the seal, takeem out. Now sand, sand, sand and sand, then prime with good primer. I painted my Cat 320 about 2 years ago, I could find the exact paint color at my local Napa store, so I went to Cat and bought the smallest container of Cat yellow, for that year, took it to Napa and they matched it with a good 2 part paint. I also bought a clear coat, to go over it. Some of the paint has a clear coat in with the paint, but I added just clear coat over the paint. Machine still looks great. I got my local sign guy, to take some pictures of the decals and make me a new set, cheaper than Cat.
    If you cant paint 2 part paint, ask around, a bunch of body shop paint guys, are looking for weekend work, weather permitting. I think, I had about $600 in paint and materials, not sure about this excatly.
    Final thought, Customers and their friends remember a good looking machine
    Last edited by Willis Bushogin; 03-12-2008 at 08:59 PM. Reason: spelling

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    ct
    Posts
    97

    Done Painting Excavator

    Quote Originally Posted by KMSEXC View Post
    Hey fellows I m looking for info on painting my excavator how do you guys go about painting ,thanks hope I'm in the write post KMSEXC
    Hey fellows thank you for all your help , i finished painting Excavator looks aw some except i don't really care for the link belt colors , paint was 365.00 dollars for one gallon red and one gallon white decals were 650 dollars we cleaned the machine for three days that was the key the only thing i regret was not using primer on some areas Thanks again Ill send some pics

  11. #11
    Senior Member coopers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    495
    definitely send us some pics.
    BSI Excavation, LLC

  12. #12
    Senior Member Iron Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Orstraya , Ex convict stock , G'Day .
    Posts
    757
    How's those pics coming along ?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    N.california
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse View Post
    How's those pics coming along ?
    where are Pics

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sioux Falls,SD
    Posts
    220
    no pic=didn't happen

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    855

    painting machines

    Quote Originally Posted by KMSEXC View Post
    Hey fellows thank you for all your help , i finished painting Excavator looks aw some except i don't really care for the link belt colors , paint was 365.00 dollars for one gallon red and one gallon white decals were 650 dollars we cleaned the machine for three days that was the key the only thing i regret was not using primer on some areas Thanks again Ill send some pics
    Just a few hints on saving money and get a better job. I needed to paint my Cat 320L excavator and I knew the Cat paint wouldnt hold up, So;
    1. bought the smallest quantity of Cat paint $22
    2. took to automotive store and had them match the paint, with a quatity paint $158 a gallon.
    3. went to local sign shop and had them download the decals I needed and print them ,$180 and they looked great and still does after 2 years. I have also have them come out and take pictures and make them from the pictures.
    I figured I saved about $500 and ended up with a better product
    But thats what I did

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •