Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 660/666 Cat Scraper info

Still more! Bored yet?
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Last ones.
    I know a Dupont overhaul can hide a lot, some of these are missing hoods, for instance...but I'll bet these were some of the better maintained units out there, they sure look to be straight and clean in appearance.
    Wonder how many are left out there....
    alan627b
    Last edited by alan627b; 11-10-2008 at 02:42 PM.

if you need scraper parts, I found this site last night...
    http://www.scraperfloors.com/

Robbed these from a post on the DHS Diecast forum, apparently these are on the east coast somewhere....
    650/660 bottom dumps....

One of the new members posted those here too. They belong to James D. Morrissey of Philly who runs quite a large fleet of both vintage and newer equipment.
    -Austin

I certainly didn't mean to steal his thunder, I didn't know they were posted here onb the board already. I'm just fascinated by the 3 axle scrapers, and hope to actually see one operating some day. or better yet, operate it....
    alan627b

I certainly didn't mean to steal his thunder, I didn't know they were posted here on the board already. I'm just fascinated by the 3 axle scrapers, and hope to actually see one operating some day. or better yet, operate it....
    alan627b

Alan, i have some of that series of pics and have always wondered if this was in Australia as the trees look very much like a yard i know, guess not if they went to Tutor Salibu. I have some pics of TS 666 on a job and then have another pic of Independent 666 and when you look close at the mark on the side of the bowl from an errant dozer corner tip you can tell it is the same machine.

Tutor Saliba's Cat 666's

Nice to see the shots of the Cat 666's in Tutuor Salibas yard. These were taken before the Ritchie Bros sale. This yard is in Fontana Ca. To set the info straight, from what I have gathered. The job that Gavin mentioned as the "bypass" job was the last job these machine's worked on. It was on hwy 101 called the Redwood park bypass in Northern Ca. I think sometime in the late 80's or early 90's.The machine's were moved off the job and into Tutor Salibas yard and sat.

They use to run add's in the equipment trader publications and I recall seeing these listed. As they liquidated thier earthmoving equipment slowy these finally ended up at the Ritchie Bros sale in Perris Ca on 6-06-00. I have some older saved Ritchie Bros color flyers and there were (7) ser#'s 64H228, 64H224 ,64H217, 64H181, 64H117, 64H175, 64H150. Don't know where they went after that, maybe to Dennis McCoy & sons?

It's nice to know so many actually liked these machines, they will be talked about for a long time.
    Last edited by Dug Overburden; 11-11-2008 at 01:47 AM.

Cat 660B's (last ones built )

I was chewing the scraper fat with a old timer many years a go & was mentioned that Granite Const Co bought the last batch of 660B's off the line. The year was was around 1977 & about 10-12 of them. Suppose to have ended up on thier last job on job in west Texas mid 90's.

Caterpillar list 1978 as the last year of production. Any serial number counters out thier happen to know how many were built? Both "A" & "B" models, might be a little hard to get an exact idea as Cat used the same serial number prefix on all the tractors weather they were hooked to a 650,660,666 scraper or as a tractor to pull a trailer from an allied manufactuer. I had an older issue of the HCEA that had a complete list of all the large scrapers built from 1962 to 1984 but can not seem to find it. I'm sure there is a serial number guide out there with it.

Who can claim the fame as the worlds 660 expert?

numbers

hello i can help with number only up to 1969,bruce oz

more

ok found some more ,bruce oz

more

more ,bruce oz

My brothers and i use to run the 660 for Van Buskirt, Sioux City Ia.We worked on I 29 south of Omaha.Before that they used them when they built the Rauthburn Dam at Centerville ,Ia.

Green Construction also had machines when they built the last stage of the Saylorville Dam,north of Des Moines Ia.

My brother worked for an outfit in Oklahoma around 1968,that had a bunch of 666.I beleive they were Amos Construction Co. Has anyone heard of them.

At that time there were also several around the Dallas/FT. Worth area working on the turnpike/freeway.Also extending the airport runway.

660's at ACI

Yup, 660B's are alive and working at ACI in Santa Clarita. There are 11 scrapers on the job with 8 working a 6 minute haul. We never get out of 5th gear as there is a bridge that must be crossed in 2nd gear. They all have been re-engined with 60 series Detroits and most have working retarders and Jake Brakes. The Jakes are almost worthless except empty at a low speed. A few, including the one I am running actually have brakes and decent riding air seats!! It is not a bad rig and it is a blast from the past to be operating a 3 axle rig again. A trip down memory lane.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast