Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 660/666 Cat Scraper info

660/666 Cat Scraper info

Can anybody confirm if there are any of these scrapers still working in California or any where else for that matter.

Would be great to see some pics posted and stories on these great old scoops.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin84w View Post
    Can anybody confirm if there are any of these scrapers still working in California or any where else for that matter.

Would be great to see some pics posted and stories on these great old scoops.

I would like to also see if there were some good stoires and pictures floating around.

The older , and larger machines are always cool to look at for sure.
    Heavy Plex - Indexing The Heavy Equipment Industry, One Page At A Time
    If You would like to share your story on my blog or get listed let me know.

Gavin

Yes, There are still some of these working here in SoCal. I do not know if any 666's are still here, Some got shipped out to Wyoming a year or two ago, but there are 660's still hauling dirt around here. I know ACI has a fleet of them, and they are working a few miles from me in the Sun City area. If I am near there in daylight hours I will try to get you some pictures. I think all of them that ACI has have been repowered for emissions reasons here in CA. They repowered with 60 series Detroit Diesel engines, and they are running strong. I know that Ralph Mitzel has a fleet of 660B models, and they are kept up in good condition. I am not sure where they are currently. There were a few others that had them, but I am unsure if they are still running, or even intact.

Good Day
    Jerry

Cat 660 scrapers.

Hi, Gavin84W.
    I'd be surprised if Roy Davis - Earthpro - isn't still running his remaining pair around Brisbane and SE Queensland. They are from the original 6 that Thiess brought in back in, I think, the late 1960's. Roy had 5 of them - the other was totalled many years ago - he sold 2, cannabalised 1 and kept his remaining 2 running.

Hope this helps.
    You have a wonderful day.
    Best wishes.
    Deas Plant.

There are several, that have been used on Highway 60 north of Wickenburg, Arizona, still sitting in the contractors yard not too far south of I-40. They are in tough shape and I'd say maybe only one or two are capable of running.

I used a 660 tractor just north of Fresno in 1997 to pull a BeeGee on new construction for Highway 41 over the river. It swollowed an exhaust valve and the trans was about all done too. Swapped it out for a Challenger 85D and that was a much better arrangement. It had a nice air-conditioned cab where the 660 didn't have anything.

The old Washington Construction Company of Missoula had a huge fleet of 660/666's at one time. (That's where the 660 & BeeGee in Fresno came from) Their boneyard behind Modern Machinery's shop in Missoula, Montana may still have a number of them slowly being picked apart.

Zachry Construction in San Antonio had a large number of them as well years ago (1970's). I ran a 666 of theirs for a few days on a job south of town along the river, just off Loop 410.

I can't say I'm sorry to see the old bastards go. They were hot, noisy, difficult to use and uncomfortable at any speed.

the company i broke out with had 7 or 8 triple 6s i never seen them, after my first year on a scraper 631c, i graduated up to the 641s and 51s, thinking i was hot **** bragging about how much dirt we moved or how many loads we had the old frogs would have to put me in my place, usually with old stories about 666s, how much more dirt they hauled or how fast they went ide listen to those guys for hours or until we got kicked out of the bar. ide love to see pics of 666 working.

Deas, i know 2 of the HVE 660 from the Hunter Valley have just gone to Brisbane in the last 6 months and have been put to work in a brick pit? i believe, could have gone to join the group you speek of.

Quote Originally Posted by wethead View Post
    I would like to also see if there were some good stoires and pictures floating around.

The older , and larger machines are always cool to look at for sure.
    Great artical on the 666
    http://www.contrafedpublishing.co.nz...illar+666.html

Found some photos on photobucket

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/10/...s666wyobu5.jpg

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/7...len6661yq2.jpg

http://www.baggermodelle.ch/service/Cat_666.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DirtHauler; 12-29-2007 at 05:22 AM.
    IBT local #174

great prics, were the first two the same machines? how big of a dozer was pushing the last one?

What's supplying the GRUNT?

Hi, 637Slayer.
    I suspect that the GRUNT supply in that last photo might be a Cat D10T.
    Best wishes.
    Deas Plant.

666 The Number Of The Beast...

There is a discussion going on on the ACMOC BB currently, these pics were posted there too. It was said the push dozers were Hough D500's, if I recall correctly. All the machines were new at the time.
    SS Mullen Company, Gas Hills Wyoming. 7 New 666's. Circa 1968.
    If you go to http://www.Machinerytrader.com, go to Caterpillar equipment, and click on the model number, it will show pics of a number of units for sale currently in AZ and Nevada, including a 632 and 650 at National Hardware Supply in Madera, Ca.
    I saw the 650 2 years ago when I visited there on vacation, a decent unit. Price reduced to only $13000! Prime yard art!
    Gotta love the 6 wheelers!
    link to ACMOC
    http://www.acmoc.org/ACMOC_BB/showthread.php?t=821
    alan627b

my dad worked in the gaS HILLs for awhile great stories not too many pictures, i have friends over there reclaiming right now.

I made it out today by the 660 spread. They weren't working (darn) and I could not get too close in my car (truck broke down) but I did get a few pictures of them parked. I seen at least 14 660's and some 651E's, as well as D-10's and other support equipment. This is all ACI equipment, and it looks like they have a couple million or so yards to move. I did not see the SS-40's here. The previous phase they were here along with the 660's.
    Jerry

A few more of the spread
    Jerry

Cat 660 scrapers.

Hi, JDOFMEMI.
    Good shots under trying conditions. Thanks for sharing. So somebody at least is still running the big jiggers. Good stuff.

Did the ground shake just thinking about all that heavy metal running around on that site? LOL

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Deas Plant; 01-03-2008 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Addition
    Best wishes.
    Deas Plant.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast