Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody have>NEW Dodge 5500 /Sterling

Anybody have>NEW Dodge 5500 /Sterling

Does anyone have the new Dodge 5500 or Sterling Bullet in there fleet?
    I have one on order but the truck isn't available i Canada yet. But they have been on the lots in the US for 5 weeks now. If you have one, pls give me your review.

I have ordered a Sterling bullet> quadcab, 4x4, 84inch cab to axle. I will be installing a Ampliroll AL90S hooklift. This truck has 19,500GVW and weighs only 7800Pounds even with the 4x4. I look forward to the 6.7 Cummins!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bret

So, you decided not to go with the international. Are you going to use a trailer also? Those trucks look nice I might get one in about a year to replace my f-450.

I have been very busy but I will get you those pictures of the hook setup in the next few days.

Thanks
    Brenden

Brenden,

Still thinking of the international. Thanks again for that information Brenden!!

I decided to go with this truck unless someone tells me I am crazy!
    and yes I am going to purchase a 14 or 16 ft deckover to haul a 2nd or 4th bin(nested).

Here's my math
    7800 truck
    1680 Hooklift
    750 fluids& fenders
    2800 15 yard container
    13030 Total
    minus the 19500 GVW
    gives me 6470pds of legal payload

I have averaged out my dump weights for this year and other than for concrete or dirt I would be legal 99% of the time. I am going to sell my rock box and have a smaller box made 10x5x2 so I can't get overloaded. I am going to continue to grow my bus until there's enough demand for a larger truck then I will use the Sterling for delivering bins and picking up the smaller loads.
    Bret

I would check over at the diesel garage you can get all the info on the new motors, and I think a couple of guys might have a 45/5500. The Diesel Garage

Hey, Bret no problem.

2800 15 yard container

The only thing I see is maybe your a little off on your container weight but if your doing tubs than that would explain it. Mine are in the 3200 range.

With 6400 in payload you should be good to go. I think average for my loads is about 3500. It's the dirt and concrete that kills us. How big is your concrete bin now?

Thanks
    Brenden

Brenden,

I mostly use tubs(2800ish pounds).
    My rock bin is 12x8x 21"sides. This is a great bin it was made for dual lift, d-rings and a coal chute in the back door, but I will have to go with a smaller bin for the new truck.

hvy 1ton> thanks for the link it sounds like everyone loves there truck but there is alot of cunfusion and frustration the the "flash" updates for the computer that is giving some owners varying fuel milleage. The 08's seem to be doing better as the dealers get on-board with the new motor.
    Thanks again!

Bret
    Bret

No problem. I have been through that section a lot lately. The most important part of the new motors, they need to been run hard to keep the dpf clean, and all kinds of other stuff. You shouldn't have any problem at all with your application.

So far I have only dumped two 10 yard cans which came in at 1.2 tons for each, and two 20 yard cans one at 1.6 tons and the other at 1.2 tons. I can see how it could be done with a F-550 and a small hook.

Any updates.
    Last edited by bins; 12-13-2007 at 10:08 PM.

Bins> funny you should post today, because I am debating my next move in the bin business. I did order the 19,500 gvw Sterling bullet from our loacal dealer. The truck was supposed to be here last month (nov), but just like the dodge 5500 they are late. Dealers here just staring getting a few 5500 reg cabs in the past week. I have only been overloaded a couple of times but I think as I learn more that it is avoidable. My debate is to go with the 5500 and smaller hook or go with the same truck that "6DoubleDuece" bought
    which is a 39K gvw 2003 intnational 7400 with a 20k stellar. Pic posted below .

The debate is oboiusly the gvw,the hook weight (12,500), the hook height Mine (36") and other (54") I would have to change all my bins to larger 54"hook height. Sterling would cost 75k with a new hook (warranty) and the international 55K. The international is tough as nails and specied for the highway dept(heavy duty).
    These are obviously night and day comparissons but I am debating the bigger question which is where my business is at and where do I want it to be. If I buy the 5500 I will drive it as my everyday truck. the internatonal would be a dedicated work truck. The differnce being is I would get rid of a car payment and go to one Insurance payment. I wouldn't have to go to the yard to get my truck before picking up a bin and I could always add a larger truck down the road.

The flip side is I will be the one driving the truck and not be moving to a full time driver as a business model and giving up the business that I might be able to get with a heavier lift Concrete, dirt, roofing. I have always survivied in business by keeping low overhead and staying innovative.

I debate the pros and cons all day, I have made list and changed my mind every couple of days. If that sterling truck showed up today it would be over but until then I still debate....

Bins glad to hear the weights aren't too much, keeps the costs down for everybody
    Bret

I understand your debate. I still question myself on my choice. I did not want to go over 33k gvw b.c then we have to pay a 12% FET when we buy the truck. Right now my F-750 is only getting 7.5 mpg. Diesel is going for $3.25.

I'll let you know which route I go when the time comes. I am leaning towards the Sterling, but time will tell. "6DoubleDuece" says he's getting around 9mpg on the international >guys on the diesel forums seem to be reporting as low as 10 and as high as 19mpg on their 6.7 cummins. The only other option is to go to a hino, but you seem to pay one way or another!

Hey Bins! Since you are just getting started I'll share with you my best promotional investment yet. I have tried advertising and flyers but I ordered these from a company in North Carolina and I give them out to the crews when i drop a bin (a good handfull) costs me about 12 cents each. So for a few bucks each time... you wound't believe the miles those pencils have traveled...
    Bret

dont know anyone w/one but have been hearing good things about the 6.7

Hey Brett,

Things have been crazy these last few weeks!

As far as the truck debate goes, What truck and lift are you running now?

Thanks
    Brenden

sounds like a nice setup

Where did you get those pencils? The ones I see online are going for about
    23 cents each.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast