Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New regulations on MA hoisting license?

New regulations on MA hoisting license?

What is this all about? I see this on another email I just got about it:

In response to the high volume of questions regarding the Continuing Education requirements of the new 520 CMR 6.00: HOISTING MACHINERY regulations, that went in to effect on November 8, 2013, the Department of Public Safety ("Department") would like to inform you that enforcement of the Continuing Education requirements shall be begin on
    May 1, 2014. Licensees whose Hoisting Machinery License expires prior to this date will not be required to submit Continuing Education at the time of renewal.

Hoisting Machinery Licenses that expire on or after
    May 1, 2014 shall provide Continuing Education at the time of renewal. Any Licensee who is unable to obtain the required Continuing Education necessary to renew their License may request that the License be placed in an inactive status for up to 1 Continuing Education cycle. No Hoisting Machinery operations shall take place while the License is in an inactive status.

What exactly is this continuing education stuff and how do I do anything for it My license expires 6/25/2014 so it falls under needing to provide "continuing education at time of my renewal"

Probationary Member
    I tried to get an answer to this very question and this is what the dept of public safety sent me!

"At the moment, there are no approved individuals or organizations to provide Continuing Education. However, as the Department continues to receive and approve Continuing Education programs our website will be updated. Please follow this link to view the list of approved continuing education programs for Hoisting Machinery."

are they serious!!!???? I'm just stressing over this because my license comes up for renewal in june!! what are they gonna do tell me to go get my "continuing education in may?" I don't get it? why cant they just explain what is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by stoiko View Post
    I tried to get an answer to this very question and this is what the dept of public safety sent me!

"At the moment, there are no approved individuals or organizations to provide Continuing Education. However, as the Department continues to receive and approve Continuing Education programs our website will be updated. Please follow this link to view the list of approved continuing education programs for Hoisting Machinery."

are they serious!!!???? I'm just stressing over this because my license comes up for renewal in june!! what are they gonna do tell me to go get my "continuing education in may?" I don't get it? why cant they just explain what is going on?
    I got that followup email as well from them. Mine comes up for renewal in June also. If only they didn't expire on your birthday. I'm concerned about training as well. I'll probably have to pay for it out of pocket which sucks. Seems they are not prepared for this and it just came out of nowhere. You would think they would have some stuff in mind for what is acceptable for training. I'd wonder what the training will be as well. Cause I kind of just had some experience not being licensed and then took the test.

So maybe some downtime without a license if the training stuff doesn't get squared away before renewal. Can I bill them for my downtime if I can't renew my license cause they are half assing it?

Probationary Member
    lol, I'm sure they will pay your bills for you wile they are trying to figure out where and when you can go do your C.E. training. Ha! and what good does this do you??

"Any Licensee who is unable to obtain the required Continuing Education necessary to renew their License may request that the License be placed in an inactive status for up to 1 Continuing Education cycle. No Hoisting Machinery operations shall take place while the License is in an inactive status."

it just gets better and better. I understand why they are doing this. I just wish they would every once in a while THINK before they act and have their $@#! together.

Not to hijack the thread, but this MA hoisting stuff, is this in addition to NCCCO requirements? Just curious.
    Pin it to win it

This may be similar to any Contractors license here in Florida. In order to renew, you have to have X amount of hours of C.E. in order to get the license. I did mine online through a State approved C.E testing institute. I believe it was 14 credit hours, plus another 1 hour course and test on my local county codes.

Basically said, you watch the videos that you select or the mandated videos and complete the test after each course. Passing score is 100%and at the end of the test you are able to go back over the exam and do it again and again, as many times as it takes to garner a 100% score.

I tried to write down the answers for the retakes and they mixed up the order of the questions each time. Yes, it was a pain and it was a 100 dollar bill out of my pocket. But then, just get my Class A License with all of the endorsements is $190. I feel that it's just another means of revenue generation.

Im not looking forward and also pretty upset with this all. Every body I talk to seems to agree that it will most likely be similar to taking a competent person excavation safety or osha 10 type class. Id be more understanding if it was for new unexperianced operators but guys who have been paying faithfully to renew their lic. for a while.... How much will we have to spend to take these said classes.... Im also nervous, I will be out of state for 4 months and if I cant take a class now and my lic will be expired by the time I'm back how will I legally go right back to work until I get my credits?

Probationary Member
    Hi Everyone,

I have been trying to stay on top of this and I am currently putting together paper work and curriculum to be submitted to the state to do a training center to provide the con ed. This doesn't go in to affect until May 1, 2014. I can't see the state demanding you have all the con ed if you r license expires lets say May 15, 2014. I would like to think they have to have a grace period, especially since they offer no places to get the credits. I could be wrong

Probationary Member
    Hello, I'm going for my RI hoisting license for loader/backhoe can anybody can give me any insight on the test?

Just got my notice by email that i have to get my continuing ed credits before i can renew my license, there was also a number to call to arrange for a class, i just got a call back from the class provider. I have a 1B,2A,3A , they offer a combo class for the 1&2 for $395 ! and a seperate class for the 3 for $95 ! Are you kidding me ? Its gonna cost me $450 dollars to get the license renewed , and the class is over an hour away, they dont give a combo1,2&3 class , so that means i'll have to drive there twice, so theres 4 hrs of commute time and a tank of gas! The worst part is i havent worked in over 2 years, cant afford groceries , nevermind gas! A freind of mine is an electrician and he pays $175 to get his renewal and they have classes all over the state. The prices for the courses are ridiculous, and this school offering the courses is obviously taking advantage of being the sole provider (as far as i know)of these classes in ma.. Man , talk about the state kicking you while your down.

Quote Originally Posted by mgil View Post
    Just got my notice by email that i have to get my continuing ed credits before i can renew my license, there was also a number to call to arrange for a class, i just got a call back from the class provider. I have a 1B,2A,3A , they offer a combo class for the 1&2 for $395 ! and a seperate class for the 3 for $95 ! Are you kidding me ? Its gonna cost me $450 dollars to get the license renewed , and the class is over an hour away, they dont give a combo1,2&3 class , so that means i'll have to drive there twice, so theres 4 hrs of commute time and a tank of gas! The worst part is i havent worked in over 2 years, cant afford groceries , nevermind gas! A freind of mine is an electrician and he pays $175 to get his renewal and they have classes all over the state. The prices for the courses are ridiculous, and this school offering the courses is obviously taking advantage of being the sole provider (as far as i know)of these classes in ma.. Man , talk about the state kicking you while your down.
    The more i think about this the more pissed i get. There are probably alot of guys like me out there that havent worked steady in a few years and cant swing the money for the renewal easily . So what do ya do? take a pass and shelve the license ? what happens if an opportunity for work comes up? No license , no job right? So what does a guy do , does he throw in the towel and get on the dole like the rest of people he's been supporting all his working life? Hey , why not? then i can hang around in the gin mills , get a new i phone , maybe get a few tats , and hey how about a new grill? This just shows ya how far out of touch the elected officials in this state are with the working class.They're making it harder and harder for a working man to make a living, hey , im all for saftey and training, but why do i have to pay for it? If the illustrious state of taxachussettes wants me to be saftey trained , then why arent they providing affordable training for us ? They keep making the rules and we keep paying and taking it in the keester! Im pretty much at the end of my working days so it doesnt hurt me as much as it does a young guy with a wife and a couple kids with a couple car payments and a mortgage. But like i said it doesnt really affect those in office , just us , their subjects , ya know the peons. Okay rant over , think i'll grab a beer!

I just went through this BS with my MA Construction Supervisors Licence, now again for my HE?? WTF, I think the Politicians in this state that come with these crazy ideas should also have to take continuing education classes. Its just another way for someone to make more $$ off of us. And I'm sure you'd all agree that these days we don't have much to take. I just feel bad for the guys unemployed that hold a license that now have to fork over that cash just to hold that license for when they get back to work. This state is just becoming ridiculous.

I feel your pain, I think the state should offer these classes for free, if not to all but especially the un employed.

Ya know what the funny thing is ,( and i dont know about the rest of you, but) my email came with the massachusettes state seal proudly displayed on the header of the email, which made me think that it was in fact an official email from the state, however, it turns out that it is actually from a school called cranes 101 in bellingham ma. I dont know if the guy who sent the email works for the state or the school or both, but either way i think its probably a conflict of interest by using that state seal in that context, Anyway, that being said i got on the states website and found that there are a handfull of these schools that provide the cont.ed classes, one got back to me through email last night and he said the class could be taken online for a cost of $100 ! A hell of alot less then the $450 i was quoted from the other guy, i will look into this further today and see if i can get some more details . But you are right JD , this whole thing puts a hardship on those that are unemployed and have been for some time , This just shows us how out of touch with reality these effin politicians are , If the economy was a little better it wouldnt be so bad.It also amazes me how many different types of licenses there are in the great commonwealth of taxachusettes, get on the site and search for licenses and there are hundreds of proffessions that require a license for a fee. All this B.S. started back in the 80's with the plumbers, soon after the electricians, then recently the building supers license, and now the state has deemed it necessary for you to have a license to run ductwork, which means an electrician cant run ductwork from an exhaust fan or a dryer without that license ! Its getting ridiculous! Whats next? , if you drive a diesel pickup , will you need a special license?

BINGO !! For all you taxachusettes guys ,I just heard back from the school that offers the online class APPROVED FOR ALL LICENSE CLASS (1,2,3,)here 's the info
    tlc@techlearningcenter.com
    Office: 508-987-1852

Fax: 508-987-1853

Like us on Facebook!

Home
    Your Education
    About us
    Contact us
    Take a Tour
    Main menu
    H.V.A.C.R (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration)
    Steam Engineering
    Continuing Education for Boiler Operators & Engineers in Oxford
    Continuing Education for Boiler Operators & Engineers Online
    Continue Education for Hoisting License
    Special License
    Solar
    Geothermal
    Waste Water Treatment
    Hoisting and Forklift
    Facility Technician
    Pipefitting
    Training At Your Site
    Job Placement
    Links
    Continue Education for Hoisting License

Online Continuing Education for Hoisting License
    Use our computer Lab every Thursday from 9:00 AM to 1:00PM in Oxford

Or do it from the confort of your office or home. You will be allotted on week to finish the course.

The fee is $100 per person regardless of the number of licenses that a person holds.

Our program is approved by The Massachusetts Department of Public Safety for the following licenses:

1B, 1C, 1D, 2A, 2B, 2C,2D, 3A

Classes at your site are available, Please call for details

(508) 987-1852

(Register Now)
    Add us to your circle!

Course Outline For Class 1 Licenses (1B,1C, 1D)

MM1008 - Proper Use of "Riggers" Handbook

MM1009 - Safe Working Loads for Various Types of Slings and Hardware

MM1010 - Types of Rigging and Lifting Equipment

MM1011 - Inspecting the Rigging Equipment

MM1012 - Planning a Rigging and Lifting Job

MM1019 - Safe Performance of Lifts with a Mobile Crane

MM1020 - Safe Movement of Materials/Equipment with a Mobile Crane

MM1021 - Safe Performance of Lifts with a Boom Truck

MM1022 - Safe Movement of Materials/Equipment with a Boom Truck

OS0801 - Cranes Module 1

OS0802 - Cranes Module 2

MA0102-Applicable Laws and Regulations of Massachusetts

Course Outline for Class 2 Licenses (2A, 2B, 2C, 2D)

CY0901 - Equipment pre-checks on the backhoe

CY0902 - Check, add, and identify proper lubricants on the backhoe

CY0903 - Equipment deficiencies specific to the backhoe

CY0904 - Safety precautions associated with the backhoe

CY1401 - Equipment pre-checks on the bobcat

CY1403 - Equipment deficiencies specific to the bobcat

CY1404 - Safety precautions associated with the bobcat

Course Outline for Class 3 Licenses (3A)

MM1014 - Proper Use of Rigging and Lifting Equipment

MM1015 - Safe Performance of Lifts Using Manually-Operated Lifting Devices

MM1016 - Safe Performance of Lifts Using Electric-Powered Lifting Devices

MM1017 - Safe Performance of Lifts Using Hydraulic-Powered Lifting Devices

MM1018 - Safe Performance of Lifts with Air-Operated Lifting Devices

About us
    Student help center
    Mailing list
    Classes login
    Copyright 2013. Technology Learning Center- Business School. Designed by Sitesville.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast