Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Small Dozer

John Deere 450H Dozer, 6-way, Cab, Ripper on You Tube

Here's a machine you can make a living with, small, but quick. Deere 450H Hydrostatic Transmission, power to both tracks with a full load turn, also counter rotates.
    Easy to move with a one Ton Dually and a good traler. This one in the video below should weigh around 18,000 lbs as it is set up with cab, six way dozer, and rear ripper
    A friend has this one and I got a couple pretty good video's and I will also try to put pictures also. He said he's thinking of trading it for a good farm tractor. It would be a good way to get a nice Dozer if someone has a spare farm tractor.

http://youtu.be/nzwbfL55IpA

.Name:  DSCN5211 - Copy.jpg
Views: 2147
Size:  50.5 KBName:  DSCN5213 - Copy.jpg
Views: 1743
Size:  40.9 KBName:  DSCN5209.jpg
Views: 1843
Size:  47.2 KBName:  DSCN5210.jpg
Views: 1722
Size:  39.9 KB
    I AM IRONMAN 1975

Give me a good old 33000 serial number D8H with a ripper and a straight dozerblade. That the perfect dozer to run.

Mike Nebergall
    X Quad Operator

D8 slides just outside the ring of 'small dozer'

A cross between a D4K2 LGP and a D37PX-23. The Controls and everything else of the cat, but with the Komatsu cab style. With a tier 3 engine.

[QUOTE=I AM IRONMAN;538533]Here's a machine you can make a living with, small, but quick. Deere 450H Hydrostatic Transmission, power to both tracks with a full load turn, also counter rotates.
    Easy to move with a one Ton Dually and a good traler. This one in the video below should weigh around 18,000 lbs as it is set up with cab, six way dozer, and rear ripper
    A friend has this one and I got a couple pretty good video's and I will also try to put pictures also. He said he's thinking of trading it for a good farm tractor. It would be a good way to get a nice Dozer if someone has a spare farm tractor.

Out of all the different small dozers I have run. The JD 450 series with an angle blade were my favorite.

I owned a nortrac dozer it was/is a great little machine, came with 3 point and PTO, did A LOT of work with it. I looked at the struck dozer but for the price and what you get, could not see it????? I used my nortrac for logging, snow removal, pond digging, leveling and so on. It always started with ease even on the coldest of days, and never gave me any troubles.

[QUOTE=totalloser;449022]Single lever clutch/brake wet system with clutchless reverser and wide ratio direct drive transmission for a couple decent working speeds and a medium and tallish travel speed. Six way blade and true direct injection. Oh wait, Deere 350c 400 series and 450 series have all that! Hopefully I'll have mine on the pad this week.[/QU

I agree Deere does have it all I have had 2, just sold a 350 and I'm looking for another, this time something a little bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by dillon45 View Post
    I agree Deere does have it all I have had 2, just sold a 350 and I'm looking for another, this time something a little bigger.
    If you happen to decide on a John Deere 450, be sure to consider an LGP with the 24 inch pads. That is an awesome machine.

350 C JD 8' 4" wide ??

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerer View Post
    If you happen to decide on a John Deere 450, be sure to consider an LGP with the 24 inch pads. That is an awesome machine.
    Why do you recommend the "24 " grousers" I was under the impression they were hard on the chains and rollers ? I have a chance to buy a 350 C with
    wide grousers, the width of the machine is 8 feet 4 inches according to the seller. When he told me the width I couldn't believe it, and still have my
    doubts, the machine is a distance from me so I can't go look at it but it is selling cheap. What are your ideas on this information concerning the width.

Cat "K" Series hands down
    i love the ability to change the blade speed based on application, the balance and visibility is excellent! integrated accugrade controls
    the new D6K is going to have a cross slope built in!
    CASE

Can't Attempt Serious Excavation

Can't Afford Something Else

Can't Accomplish Stupid Exercises

Too bad I did not see this post when it was started but the answers would be the same.I will concede to the post about the D8H but although the balance of it is just about perfect,you could piroutte on top of a pile of rocks with it and it would be completely comfortable there it is a little larger than Steve was looking for I think)
    I would have to pick the smaller John Deeres in the small dozer categories and I have had the opportunities over the years to sample the competition which is probably no surprise to those that follow my posts.I don't think that I have ever wished for more power in any of them as just about any of them will spin the tracks in the right gear.The P/W ratio seems just about right as far as I am concerned.
    About the only thing they could have done to "improve" their dozers would be to add a "live" undercarriage as another poster mentioned but that would add to the cost of production in what is probably a very competitive market since the the bean counters and not the operators purchase the machines.Ron G

Any LGP dozer will allow you to operate in soft and wet conditions where the narrow pads just won't. I have spent a lot of time in wet ditches and a narrow tracked dozer would have never allowed me to get the production that the wide pads would. In regards to undercarriage wear ; an LGP will have accelerated wear but the amount or severity compared to a narrow padded machine would be determined on what kind of conditions the machine was run in. Material with a lot of large rocks or broken concrete is detrimental to getting a lot of hours on the undercarriage.

Owned and ran a Case 450B for years... it was OK. have had a 850C for years, it's OK too but I would like it better if it had very narrow shoes because even with standard shoes it is planted so well it turns hard.

Was a fill-in operator for another contractor that had a old Deere 450C, WOW could that old machine push! He traded it for a brand new 450H, very maneuverable- great for grading around a lot of trees and structures- but a DOG when it came to flat out pushing, very disappointing for work that involves more than 1/2 a blade full. I like Deere machines for their hydraulics- fast, precise and strong.

Ran a D6MXL for about 30 hrs., primarily grading around foundations, OK machine but did NOT like the fingertip steering- had my first arthritis flareup in my left fingers with those controls. Ran a D4 late model with the wider shoes (not LGP) on slopes for a day, it was the most stable dozer I have run by far.

I worked for a contractor that had a couple of high track D5s in his fleet,one was an XL with that fingertip steering and the other just the conventional steering that you would expect.I would take that one any day over the fingertip model.They did say that the XL weighed a little more.They were both great dozers.Ron G

I've had a Deere 350b, Deere 450E Caterpillar D3B and know a caterpillar D5k XL. They all had there pros and cons for sure. Caterpillar and Deere are hard to beat for reliability and resale jmo. I'm very happy with my 100 HP D5k.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast