Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what oil can I use in trans axle of a 580K,

I do sometimes go to a Deere or cat dealer for case parts, just cause Deere is 11 miles west, Cat is 13 miles east, and Case is 82 south. I always use Hy Tran Ultra in my 580sk transmission, though I use hydraulic oil from my bulk tank, which is top quality.

One other important point with HTU is that it is formulated to be very tolerant of water.
    "Don't sweat the petty things, and, don't pet the sweaty things." That's what I live by.

well, made the drive down south to the case dealer and got my hy trans ultra, thanks for the help (again!!) strange part was it took some convincing to get it, the counter guy was convinced that gear oil would do. even after a tractor description (roof colour, gear shift location, if front hubs had "case"cast in them, serial number, and a couple pictures) I took all your fella's advice and insisted on Hy Trans, so thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by alrman View Post
    My experience with Hy Trans Ultra, is that it is not all that more expensive than other main stream oil companies. Colemans list a 5gal pail @ $76.60. The phase 3 transaxle will need 50lts on a service & 60lt on an overhaul.
    When changing the oil you will need to add 3 bottles of 402982A2 axle additive - for the wet brakes.

I still can't understand why you would walk into a DEERE DEALER & pay a dealer price, to buy oil for a CASE machine & not want to walk into a CASE DEALER to do the same??

There are aftermarket oils that will run in the transaxle - But there is no EXCACT equivalent for HY Trans Ultra (MS 1209) - it is specially formulated, under license, for CNH.
    For either Deere or Case you are paying for the name, it is private label made by a lubricant manufacturer. If it meets the CASE 1H and they have it listed in their specs it needs to be meet those standards, just like the Case. Quite a few of the aftermarket oils that I am familiar with go above and beyond what Case calls for.
    It bugs me that Case has a recommended additive, thats them saying "Our oil that we sell you isnt good enough, you need to buy this extra one" Seems like marketing snake oil sales to me.
    Coming to a mine near you!

I still can't understand why you would walk into a DEERE DEALER & pay a dealer price, to buy oil for a CASE machine & not want to walk into a CASE DEALER to do the same??
    It's mostly logistics for me and shipping for the heavy buckets.
    My nearest Case dealer is 50 miles away and wants about $ 120 a bucket. JD is 3 miles across town.

Not to hijack the thread, but it was said"When changing the oil you will need to add 3 bottles of 402982A2 axle additive - for the wet brakes." Is this only for the phase 3 transaxle or does this also include the Phase 1 with wet brakes

Quote Originally Posted by styxplo View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but it was said"When changing the oil you will need to add 3 bottles of 402982A2 axle additive - for the wet brakes." Is this only for the phase 3 transaxle or does this also include the Phase 1 with wet brakes
    Correct, only for phase 3 transaxles, using HTU.
    The transaxle fluid you will buy from CNH for the series 1 models is a much heavier 80/140 oil, with the friction modifiers & anti squark already added.
    + it is a heck more expensive ..........
    To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research

Have you updated your user profile yet?

The question I still have is concerning TCH fluid for my 580SE transmission. (8 quarts)
    A dealer 30 miles from me does have 3 gallons in stock. ($24.95/gallon)
    Someone told me the HTU replaced the TCH, but it is apparently still available

John Deere Hy Gard is just down the road for $18.95/gallon.

So, which one should I use? I have the Tractor Supply stuff in there now and about to change the oil cooler so I want to change it all again.

A bit late to teh party but I had a similar issue.
    After adding a few hydraulic attachments I needed to top off my reservoir. The stuff I needed was only sold in a 50 Gallon drum to the USA. After thinking it was a snow job, I verified this with the tractor manufacturer. So I went on teh hunt for equivalents or better thans. The Manufacturer was at least nice enough to tell me it was equivalent to 46T by Shell. Obviosly he was telling be it was Relabeled Shell Telluis 46T. I found the Shell spec, only to find they renamed the stuff ( SV V46). Then I hunted for equivalents of that. Here's some of my homework. Notice the 'earlweb' URL . I was able to plug in my tractor and they gave me a readout of all their equivalent fluids for the tractor.
    After getting the Shell , Chevron and Mobil equivalents I was able to find someone fairly local that sold what I needed.
    I wish the Tractor manufacturers would not hold this info so close to the vest OR at least not mark up the prices so high that people like us search elsewhere.

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC...44283_6623.pdf
    http://docs.mystiklubes.com/msds_pi/M20038.pdf
    http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub..._10_Excel.aspx
    http://ew5.earlweb.com/recommendatio...ge=5&brand=130

Quote Originally Posted by bowen View Post
    The question I still have is concerning TCH fluid for my 580SE transmission. (8 quarts)
    A dealer 30 miles from me does have 3 gallons in stock. ($24.95/gallon)
    Someone told me the HTU replaced the TCH, but it is apparently still available

John Deere Hy Gard is just down the road for $18.95/gallon.

So, which one should I use? I have the Tractor Supply stuff in there now and about to change the oil cooler so I want to change it all again.
    In the power shuttle, I have always used (inc. time spent @ JIC) 68 hyd oil.

In the power shuttle, I have always used (inc. time spent @ JIC) 68 hyd oil.
    Are you just antagonizing me?
    You bring up this and I google it and the price keeps going up.
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ULT...ulic-Oil-6LCW1

Grainger is not the cheapest place to get fluids, but this is about $200 for a 5 gallon bucket on other places...

I thought $100 for a bucket of Hy Gard was high.

Grainier doesn't seem to want me to see that, but regular AW 68 hydraulic oil is what I use, and it is $39/bucket, or $6.30/ gallon pumped into my trailer mounted bulk tank at my local distributor.
    "Don't sweat the petty things, and, don't pet the sweaty things." That's what I live by.

Like mitch says, 68 is probably the cheapest oil I buy - That price from grainger is waaaay over the top.

Thesedammedoilpeople...
    They mix it up and sell it under so many names and numbers, it's hard for me to understand the differences.
    Now I see this at TSC with the Mystic name.
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...2-gal#desc-tab

So AW 68 hyd oil ranges from $6 to $60 per gallon.
    I am surprised that someone has not told me to use ATF fluid in the transmission(power shuttle.)

It just takes 2 gallons so I am not that hung up on the cost; I am just worried about the shuttle or torque converter in general failing that I want to use whatever would be the best choice.

The John Deere folks are kinda cocky. When I asked them about the Hy Gard to replace Hy Tran Ultra they are quick to point out that Hy-Gard is WAY BETTER... Everyone you talk to says theirs is "way better...good stuff"

I'm not defending grainger, they're not an oil company and will always cost more but to be fair that's biodegradable hydraulic oil, it will always be expensive.
    Coming to a mine near you!

Quote Originally Posted by melben View Post
    When I stated that I would not be averse to someone using Hy Gard in their system I was not looking at a cost factor, rather the quality of the product.
    If you inquire with Exxon they suggest using Mobil 424 to replace the Hy Tran Ultra.
    Grainger sells it, but it's higher that the Case HTU. Grainger is NOT the place to buy oil, although they sell lots of it.
    I did find some Mobil 424 for maybe $14 a gallon. A 55 gallon drum is about $ 655 delivered.

I just add this to the discussion in case someone looks into it later as a possibility to research.
    (I actually put JD Hy Gard in mine.)

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...fluid_424.aspx

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MOB...130726132731:s
    Last edited by bowen; 07-26-2013 at 09:36 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast