Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 61

Thread: Cat vs Volvo vs Link-Belt vs Komatsu vs Kobelco

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    39

    Cat vs Volvo vs Link-Belt vs Komatsu vs Kobelco

    Well it is time to trade a our 1997 Cat 320.

    We are looking for another excavator the same size and are wondering wich one would be the best.

    We have had Cat's, Link-Belt's, and a Kobelco with the Kobelco being the least liked. Volvo and Cat are probablly the front runers with Link-Belt being a close 3rd.

    Oh and I know my spelling sucks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    louisiana
    Posts
    164
    Get your 320 appraised, and then find out the value of one of the other machines the same age. that should answer your question right away. can't beat CAT as far as cost to run. in louisiana at least

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1,484
    Why isn't Deere or Hitachi in the selection ?

    If you have had good luck with Cat why don't you stick with them.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford LT-9000 View Post
    Why isn't Deere or Hitachi in the selection ?

    If you have had good luck with Cat why don't you stick with them.
    Well I forgot about Deere they have a dealer right down the street. Hitachi dosen't have a dealer anywhere near us.

    The reason for not geting another Cat would be the price. We were geting some prices on loaders about a month ago and Cat was always $50,000 to $75,000 more and there excavators might be the same.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack View Post
    Well I forgot about Deere they have a dealer right down the street. Hitachi dosen't have a dealer anywhere near us.

    The reason for not geting another Cat would be the price. We were geting some prices on loaders about a month ago and Cat was always $50,000 to $75,000 more and there excavators might be the same.
    I call BS. I know for a fact they're not much more.

    Anyway from the small amount of time I've spent on excavators and from what I've heard, I'd put John Deere & CASE on the list as well.

    Also fro what I've found to work best when buying equipment (this applies for any piece of equipment) that dealer service is #1, how well it performs #2, and price is #3. This is just from my personal experience from being in the tree busines for over 20 years.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by jazak View Post
    I call BS. I know for a fact they're not much more.

    Anyway from the small amount of time I've spent on excavators and from what I've heard, I'd put John Deere & CASE on the list as well.

    Also fro what I've found to work best when buying equipment (this applies for any piece of equipment) that dealer service is #1, how well it performs #2, and price is #3. This is just from my personal experience from being in the tree busines for over 20 years.
    Nope not BS.

    We have never had a Deere what is better about them than other machines?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    louisiana
    Posts
    164
    cat 345c $389,000
    deere 450d $381,000

    cat 324d $203,000
    komatsu 220 $194,000

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    cat 345c $389,000
    deere 450d $381,000

    cat 324d $203,000
    komatsu 220 $194,000
    Well the price on the front end loaders they gave us was like this.

    Cat 966 $350,000.

    Volvo L150 $270,000.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    cat 345c $389,000
    deere 450d $381,000

    cat 324d $203,000
    komatsu 220 $194,000
    Bought a Komatsu 220LC-7 few months ago - $171,000.
    Bought a Volvo 330BLC 45 days ago w/450 hrs., 2 buckets & quick coupler - $179,000

    I like CAT too, but in general higher priced in my neck of the woods. Actually, the last time I priced similar rubber-tired backhoes, Deere was slightly more than CAT with both of 'em 12-15% higher than Case.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    2,593
    Case and Link-Belt are the same machine, Sumitomo. John Deere and Hitachi are the same machines with different engines, Hitachi uses Isuzu mostly, John Deere uses their own engine. Caterpillar is made by Mitsubishi. Komatsu makes their own. What you should get from all this is Japan Inc.

    Buy the machine that makes the most business sense to you. None are bad for the first 7,500 hours.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    39
    Well if there price is right it will most likley be Volvo being that we have had great service from them.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    2,593
    As I recall Volvos are made by Samsung. I haven't worked on one in awhile but they were pretty standard Japanese components.

    Maybe different now?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by John C. View Post
    As I recall Volvos are made by Samsung. I haven't worked on one in awhile but they were pretty standard Japanese components.

    Maybe different now?
    Yah I think VOLVO is now different from Samsung. VOLVO has been getting big into the construction / excavating industry lately (i.e buying out the dirt side of IR). I think they could be buying out Bobcat soon as well. (IR & Bobcat where related)

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1,484
    I can't see Cat being that much more over the other brands. I know you are paying alot because of the Cat name.

    Nothing wrong with Deere equipment or Hitachi which is used quite abit on the West Coast dealer support for Deere/Hitachi is good.

    I'am not impressed with Komatsu they seem to be cheaply built I wouldn't buy one.

    If your buying a machine that is significantly lower priced than the other brands you know darn well its a cheap piece of junk.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford LT-9000 View Post
    I'am not impressed with Komatsu they seem to be cheaply built I wouldn't buy one.
    Komatsu is one of the better excavators on the market. Their fit and finish is excellent, making it one of the most comfortable, capable and reliable machines on the market. Down here it is also one of the leaders in the excavator market so I find it hard to believe that they are cheaply built. I think its safe to say that the excavator is pretty much Komatsu's "flagship" piece of equipment.

    In your expierence, what did you find that was cheap about them?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •