Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to bury a horse?

As others have suggested burn it, don't bury it (though wait until the end of the fire season.....) it's a whole lot easier, cheaper, cleaner & you don't risk consequential wildlife damage if you using toxins rather a bullet to put the animal down - on the odd occassion when we've had to put any of our stock down we always burn (in preference to bury where you bury the carcass can last for years) & with a slow pile burn there'll be nothing left in a day o so.

Waste not want not, we feed our old horses, crook cows to the dogs (we have 8) easy to clean up from under the kennel. Otherwise a 4 foot deep hole and mound the dirt on top, down wind from the house if its close.
    Live like you could die tomorrow farm like your going to live forever

i would check out composting it. Hog confinements do it here in Iowa. there are some video's on You Tube.
    Last edited by Iwegian; 03-01-2013 at 06:40 AM.

Well, I made a start on the job this evening. I appreciate the point being made by those who can't understand the fuss being made over a horse but this was a horse mad girl's first horse. Cost me $3000 more years ago than I'm prepared to mention. All things come to an end and this is the end for this horse.
    The spot chosen is one much liked by the client. Naturally on top of a hill, rather than down in the valley where there's good deep soil! Anyway, I've adopted a slot system. 1.5 blade widths across. The topsoil I removed first and pushed uphill, ready for easy covering. I hit hardpan early, virtually no clay band, but it's breaking up well. One ripper pass is shattering it out nearly a metre either side. I'm creating a spoil pile either end of my trench where I push up the pile and deposit over the top. Basically I'm creating a valley between two piles; as it gets deeper, it gets wider. The trench is just wide enough for me to spin and work the other way.
    I've hit a few rocks but not in bad spots and none over a metre across. They've all come out readily and I've simply bowled them down the back of my spoil heaps. I'm down about 1.5m. If I can get another metre I'll reckon the job done. Mind you, the hole would fit a few more horses; what it lacks in depth, it makes up for in area. Perhaps I should advertise?

Quote Originally Posted by Construct'O View Post
    Couple options! Found a high bank of dirt then try digging your hole next to the toe of the slope,if your lucky you will will get deep enough without issues.If not, to finish the job you could rob some extra dirt of the high part of the bank,blending you grave into the same degree as the slope.Thus not making a big mound in the middle of nowhere.

I know you don't want to hear this,but there is alway the option to cremating it.Equals smaller hole, less depth and space needed.Good luck.
    This will be the best way to do it. I hide mountains of clearing brush this way. Make sure to cover it below the frost line and or the animal line.

End of the story

Well, job's done. I got to 2.5m. To go deeper I'd have had to adopt Jeembawb's suggestion and bring in the back hoe to remove spoil or severely escalate the scale of operations. The system of working a slot and pushing the spoil up a ramp at either end worked well, however this depended on gradually lowering the ramps as I progressed downwards. Of course, the inevitable happened and I hit a couple of big floaters on one of my ramps. Might of been just one, hard to tell until you engage fully and I wasn't interested in going there. This meant one ramp got rapidly steeper and I discovered that, since I rebuilt the fuel pump, my dozer now has the grunt to wind the dozer backwards when the tracks don't go forwards. Won't do it on the flat but when the radiator is pointing skywards.....
    I've never heard of anyone flipping a dozer over backwards but there was a moment there when I thought I might be heading down that path. Forward motion ceased, radiator cap still heading upwards. Actually on the angle she was on, more like radiator cap heading backwards. The ripper was fully up but was embedded in the ground!
    Anyway this told me that I was at the limit for that ramp. I did one more slice in the opposite direction and called it quits. I took a photo near the end. I'll see if I can add it to this post. It's a big hole, but not excessive. Mind you, I needed some fill material for another area and this was really good stuff, so I stole three truck loads ( about 20 tons) and it didn't make much of a dent in the big heap I dug out. Surprising just how much stuff you can push up in a few hours with a small dozer.Name:  Horse grave.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  187.5 KB

Did you rebuild the pump yourself Nutwood?

Nutwood - that looks to be a neat AD7 you have there, those little Fiat's have a big heart & punch well above their weight!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12