Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Case 580ck Not Wanting To Start

You need to know for sure whitch it is a 580ck or a 580c, the 580cks were 188 CID and all timed 8 BTDC and the 207 CID Cs were either 8 or 0 deg depending on serial number.
    At one point Case sent out 0 deg timing kits to change Cs from 8 to 0 for easier starting. There is a vast difference between a ck and a c as the c was modular with engine and reverser sitting on rubber mounts in a frame and having an open driveshaft to the transaxle versus the solid cast iron bellhousing and torque tube combination used by the CK. You are correct as to having the engine on compression TDC and lining up the dots in the pump and shaft, but if all is correctly timed the TDC thing is not important till you do your final timing,, it doesnt care where the engine is as long as the dots are lined up, once the pump is properly installed to the block final timing can be done.
    Last edited by melben; 01-04-2013 at 05:16 AM.

i spent a couple hours getting it Just right today, i had the flywheel on dc 0 and the dots all lined up put it all together and it wouldnt start so i had to take Everything back out the radiator and fan and the front timing cover and i realized i had it on the wrong cylinder so i got it timed on number one tdc and lined up everything on 0 and got it running but it took some time, now the trouble i have is the fan is such a Tight fit with the radiator in there it is almost impossible to get it in with the radiator in there , i think im going to put on an electric fan but havent decided yet at least its all running and functioning as it should i believe, one problem i had is when i got it running and put it in gear it didnt wanna move it took a while then it just took off and went im not sure if there was air in the lines or if it wasnt warm enough or what, is there an adjustment on the power shutle , oh and on my machine the engine is solid mounted and no open driveshaft

it sounds like a B to me LOL My 73 580b it takes a bit to warm it up before it will move. seems like the shuttle needs to warm up maybe? I thought when I first got it that it was the clutch going bad or something like that. glad to hear you got her running.
    Mike

i got the fan in , i know its not protocol but i got creative on the fan issue, there is just no room , the front of the radiator already rests against the return oil fittings in the frame and that gives about an inch between the water pump pulley and the radiator , so i ground the rivets on the two piece fan and made it into two pieces instead of one and put it in one piece at a time and it was a tight fit but it worked and once it was installed it works perfect without rubbing , about a quarter inch gap , so i got it running again and was going to back it out of the lean to and it would not move i sat there with it revved up for a bit trying back and forth and cycling the clutch petal and it would not move so i just played with the hoe for a bit moving some heavy chunks of concrete around and then it finally moved , but once i drove it around a bit when i put it in gear it Moved right away, WHY do they take so long to warm up , i even put a new breather on top of the trans, the next step now that ive dug with it a little bit is i have a few cylinders that need rebuilt they are leaking and a few hoses that are leaking so once i repair that i should be in great shape, does anyone know the cheapest place to buy a whole machine cylinder re pack kit ?

now the biggest issue seems to be Hydraulic leaks, i need to re pack about 4 cylinders and replace about ten hoses and then ill be in good shape, and for some reason the radiator started leaking when i was digging up an old stump so i will have to take it out and have my buddy at the radiator shop here rebuild it ,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123