Thread: whats a safe incline for a ctl

whats a safe incline for a ctl

i have a jd 333d and put in a bid of moving small rock piles and old chimney bricks and rock but the owner wants it moved down an embankment droped at the bottom and then im just wondering if i can come back out? its hard to discribe but its bout 65% down grade or so. to say if 90 is straight up and down. if that helps maybe even 70. should i even try it or stay away? any advice would b great thanks .

How BIG are your KaHonies ?? ..... if you are too nervous about it walk away ...... if you are confident in yourself you will find out in short order that you will be able to go down the hill easier than coming back up ....... probably so steep that you will be in control until the tracks begin to slip/skid a bit, and even if it did just drop the bucket down adding braking power ..... you will also find that you will be able to back up the hill, upon returning to the top of the hill easier than if you try to go straight up ....... do a dry run first with just the bucket or grapple that you intend to use, always carry as low as possible .... test it out .... it's a bit of a rush when it slides abit but you will find out that it's not that bad.

I did a job a year ago at a Ski Resort on the actual Ski Runs .... we were widening out the runs with my Mulcher (it's a Skid-steer with OTT steel tracks) a CTL would have worked better ... it was so steep in places that there was no way in Hell to come back up, we skidded/slid alot sometimes I controled the slide with the mulcher ... but there was no danger..... we had to go the long way around each pass.

You may have to do the same .... just don't over load the bucket to create a nose diving action ....... Good-luck ! ....

Ps. If you take the job on shoot some pics and throw it at us ..... cheers

Here's some pics ..... the pics show no justice of how steep it really was ! ...enjoy
    Attached Images Attached Images     

mines about like that but not as far and may be a little more steeper but thanks for those pics ill try to get pics soon if i get the job

Like I said ...."PICS don't do it ANY Justice" ...... there were sections that were almost vertical

Could be a new Olympic sport - Downhill Skidding

A couple of things to consider: 1) what is the ground like? Dry solid dirt, or grass or mud that will be slippery.
    2) what are your options if you can't get back up? Is there another way out, or would you be trapped down there?

A 65% downgrade is extremely steep. That's 6.5' vertical for 10' horizontal. I'm not that experienced but it sounds impossible to me without something to winch you back up.

Ken

it is grass from the start up top to the bottom its in a half moon shape and about 50 or 60 yards down and at the bottom its heavy brush and trees. if i cant back out it looks like calling a wrecker service is gonna happen but i put in invoice that costomer is responsable for bill if i do get stuck but as of now havnt hered anything yet about job so just waiting now .

I wonder if a recovery tow truck will allow you to be in the machine while winching it back up (liability issues). And a ss is pretty immobile if the operator isn't present to release the tracks..... Just something to think about.

On a somewhat related topic, my son was telling me about one of their shops in WVa who got to repair an excavator that rolled down a mountain. They were burying pipelines on hills so steep that they had to have a bulldozer with a winch holding the excavators as they worked. Well a cable snapped..... Fortunately the ROPS protected the operator but there was heavy damage to the cab.

Ken