Thread: Tranny Cooler for Hydrolic fluid?

Tranny Cooler for Hydrolic fluid?

Hey guys, another question for the old 580b, After it gets warmed up, the hoe starts to get slower and weaker, do you think it would help if I were to put a tranny cooler in front of the radiator and run hydrolic fluid through it? Is this possible? another question is that while using the loader, it seems that the fluid just isnt working, having to wait a good 30 seconds holding the lift, or dump then it will start to work or move. I hope its not the pump going out any advise will be appreciated thanks

Mike

Wow Mike. Thats a good one. I have a 580B and i can't say i have had that problem yet. Of course, i have only had it a year. And i am by no means an expert on this stuff, but if the reservoir for the fluid is full, then your fear of the pump being weak might be right. I wouldn't think that the fluid would be getting so hot that it would make the hydralics not work. You could try bleeding the system of any air that might be in it, but i would think that if that was the problem it would be the same cold or hot. Least wise, i don't think putting in a cooler would make any difference. Maybe somebody with more experience can prove me wrong. But when you think about all the years these machines have ran just like they are without putting extra stuff on them, why would you have to do it now. If I wanted to be certain that it is in fact the pump, i think some of the experts on this forum would say to do a pressure test. And personally, i don't know how to go about that, or what the pressure should be. I would be on this forum asking. I hope i helped. Even if it was only a little. I will be watching this thread so i will know what to do in the event that mine does the same thing in the (i hope distant) future. Joe

mikey1, ijoker is pretty much on the money here. Fitting a cooler won't fix your problem.....
    You are meaning the drive is slower & weaker when warm?
    The fact that there is a delay to the loader hydraulics does sound very much like a pump problem. You really need a flow test to accurately diagnose this type of problem.
    Make sure all the clamps on the suction hoses to the hyd pump are tight to eliminate possibility of sucking air.
    To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research

Have you updated your user profile yet?

ok thanks for the replies guys, ive been off of here for a few days wife just got home from being away 3 weeks, very true about why now,, the hydrolics seem to get weaker using the hoe after getting warmed up

Let us know how it goes.

I had almost the same problem with my C. It just didn't have enough a$$. Performed the flow test, and it was excellent. Tried to adjust the primary bypass and it was low and wouldn't adjust. Rebuilt all the backhoe controls with new o-rings and seals, and you wouldn't think it's the same machine. You MUST have the manuals to tell you how to go about it. I was able to borrow a flow tester from a local hydraulics shop - ask around.

Thats a great idea, ive noticed that its getting the (Ghost Controls) seems that it wants to go one way or the other while im not even moving the side swings thats going to be the next project I think. Thanks guys for all the help