Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat 3406 engine horse power

Cat 3406 engine horse power

Does anybody know the range of horse that these motors are set at from the factory? I know its a broad question but i was just curious. Is it 400-550hp? Seems that would be about right.

Also, what would a 1997 model be? A 'B' series or a 'E' series?

Thanks

They range from 425-550hp iirc

1997 is going to be a "E" series

Is what is written on the valve cover tag what the horse is? Because this engine says 385hp, that doesnt sound right given how big the motor is.

Quote Originally Posted by barklee View Post
    Is what is written on the valve cover tag what the horse is? Because this engine says 385hp, that doesnt sound right given how big the motor is.
    It probably is ....... 3406 series engines started along time ago with the "A" series ..... I believe that were a low as 350hp ..... I have an '86 w/425hp B-model w/the air-air system, simply a rad in front of the main radiator that cools intake air before it goes into the engine ..... but .... I also drove (at the time) new '86 Ford LTL9000 w/400hp B-model slant six ...LOL ..... What you are asking for is a multiple answer question that needs more info to get the correct answer ....cheers

I believe my first 3406A was at 310 horse which was a total dog so we increased it to 350hp.The last 3406B we owned was 425 and the 3406E we run now is 475hp.So as you see the hp ratings may be all over the board.If there is no hp rating on the tag,look up the CPL and the arrangement number to look it up.
    1964 CAT 922-A still operates perfectly
    2001 Hyundai HL-760 loader
    2000 Hyundai HL-730 loader
    1998 Schaeff SK-851 loader
    1997 Hyundai Robex 200 lc
    1994 Kobelco SK 200
    A fleet of KW tractors,dump trailers and triaxles

What about the 3406 DITA? Was that just an upgraded A Model?

From what I remember, the DITA did not receive rave reviews.

I always thought the 3406B was the best of the bunch.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

I will have to give the engine serial number to the cat dealer. I guess thats the only real way to say for sure? The 385hp is a real bummer, i would like to turn it up asap. gotta find out what it could go up to without changing injectors and what not.

I have a 3406B in our dump and it has 350hp. Writen right on the vavle cover too. We also have a 3406B in our road tracktor that has 425hp. Both trucks are 1989 models.

Turns out it was 385hp. What a bummer!

Ideally how many horses do you want..? What is the Serial Number of the engine in question..?
    I'd love to see things from your perspective but unfortunately....... I find it impossible to get my head that far up my a$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
    What about the 3406 DITA? Was that just an upgraded A Model?

From what I remember, the DITA did not receive rave reviews.

I always thought the 3406B was the best of the bunch.
    DITA stands for Direct Injection Turbo charged Aftercooled. The first A model 3406's had precombustion chambers and glow plugs so direct injection was quite an improvement. My first truck had a 3406A DITA. It was a very good engine, reliable and made good power, just not very economical by today's standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    Ideally how many horses do you want....?
    Kinda what I was thinking when I previously posted about having multiple choice answers to your question.

........ What are you planning or wanting to do ?? that you are not satisfied with 385hp.

........ the 3406 is one mother of a tough engine, capable of tons of hp and will live with a real operator on the right hand pedal ..... as I said mine is the 3406B 425hp ...... its been fueled up HOT .... putting 487hp dynoed to the ground ...... but when I had hired drivers running it they took out turbos not knowing how to shift, fueled-up the turbo spins at a higher rpm creating higher boost .....the drivers would stab into the throttle, or not feather out of the throttle either when grabbing a gear, causing the turbo to make a chopping sound which is a sound of the turbo trying to stall, which in turn twists the centre cartridge shaft in half .... another draw back these days is a guy driving with those bad habits will cause the puppy to smoke black under a lugging pull like you never seen before, the smoke would come outta the stacks so heavy that it would fall to the ground at the drivers (rear drive axles) ......cars following you would turn on their wipers and it would only smear ....lol... but when shifted properly will run pretty clean. In the old days that was considered COOL ...... with all of the epa cops around today, I don't think you'd want to take a chance by over fueling an engine.

If you NEED more hp giving it 50hp at the fly wheel will not be a problem. ..... that is easily done at the pump by the right guy setting it up.

If you need a little bump in HP on an E, trim codes and a resistor in the fuel temp wire will give you 70-100 HP and its almost free.

I've done trim codes on a 385hp E and it gave it a nice little bump in HP and didn't seem to affect the Pyro too much, it pushed the boost up about 3psi without messing with the wastegate so its definitely a noticeable increase in fuel.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CRAFT View Post
    Kinda what I was thinking when I previously posted about having multiple choice answers to your question.

........ What are you planning or wanting to do ?? that you are not satisfied with 385hp.
    What I was thinking was with the actual Engine Serial # and an idea of how many HP he wants I could figure out a change in configuration from the current engine to the closest standard config (there must be thousands of them) that breaks no rules and uses all standard off-the-shelf parts & settings. Unless we know what the current engine arrangement is it's kinda hard to stab in the dark as to what it might need.
    Last edited by Nige; 03-21-2012 at 05:34 PM.
    I'd love to see things from your perspective but unfortunately....... I find it impossible to get my head that far up my a$$.

Probationary Member
    The 3406A was not a pre-chamber. The first 3406 truck engine was a 3406PC, then the 3406A which was a DI (Direct Inject)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast