Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D6C 10k questions

D6C 10k questions

hello i figured i would start my own thread due to i did not want to hi jack the other thread. i have tried using the search but i have not yet figured out how to uses this forums search button what i have is a D6C 10k shes a little ruff but i have a few question about her due to this is the largest dozer i have owned.

so to start off i am having trouble with my hydraulics they still work but end up being very slow raising up. i have made sure that i have the right amount of hydraulic fluid. when i first start using it it raises really fast but once it warms up the hydraulics start running really slow that if i don't give it some throttle it will not move barely. but it still lowers really fast. Any ideas of what my problem maybe i am hoping i just need to change the filters but have not had a chance to do it yet

oh and anther thing is i think my fuel supply pump is going out because there is diesel coming out of the weep hole i just found this after i put my new inline fuel filter and hose on. i used a filter for a fuel tank with a sediment bowl on it and a 10 micro filter and i ran it all weekend no problems. i reduced the filter head from 1" to 3/8". but there is a lot of junk in the tank. thanks every body for the help.

heres a couple pics of it with the family
    http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/d...5/100_1674.jpg
    http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/d...5/100_1672.jpg
    D3CLGP with home made tree knocker
    D6C 10K

Sounds like the pump cartrige has seen its day, remember to lower all raised equipment.

10-4 that was unsafe normally i would lower the blade just a spur of the moment picture. where is the pump located at and about what would it cost to replace the pump thanks for the reply
    D6C 10K

If it's like mine the fuel pump gear is on the front of the fuel pump. May just be bad seals, but bushing wear in the pump may also be a problem. You have to pull the fuel pump to change the seals. Take the front cover off to pull the drive gear so the pump will come out. When putting the pump back on it will have to be retimed (no key on pump drive gear). The timing is set by a timing pin on the pump and a bolt hole in the flywheel. There's a whole procedure in the manual to tell how to do it. It's not a horrible job, but has to be done right.

The hyd pump is at the left rear side of the engine...hyd pump and trans pump drive off the same area.

Does it have 30 Wt. oil or hyd oil ?

I am not sure what kind of fliud they had in it but I put hydraulic fluid in it what should I used. For the tranny I used 30wt in it. What would it cost to get Hyd pump rebuilt also how hard is it to get out thanks for the reply
    D6C 10K

They use 30wt in hyd. & tranny

Shouldn't be hard to get out since it's mounted along the side and pretty open to get at. To buy one from Cat won't be cheap...there are several different pumps listed in the book...price online from Cat ran from 800-$1500. I'd bet you can get one cheaper aftermarket, or better yet you might find one used from a dismantled machine.
    I might check hyd pressure from pump before tearing it apart (cold & hot)...

Tranny fluid is 30w, but not 30w engine oil....it's 30w Trans/Drivetrain oil.
    My book lists the hyd oil as 10w Hyd oil....I've been using Case IH HyTran

Here's a scan of the operational checklist...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Transmission i have always used 30W motor oil,but now they say to use the 30W special transmisson oil Cat sells,more addtives for disk faces in the transmisson.I have a D6H that has over 18,000 hour using 30w motor oil and still going,never touched.Did go too the other this time when i rebuilt the convertor.

Also used 10W motor oil in the hydraulic,but also started using Cat new hydraulic also.18k on the hydraulic pump also.You use to be able too rebuild the hydraulic pump with new bushings and waffle seals.I would just replace with a classic reman.Save yourself a lot of gruff.

Fuel injection pump needs rebuild would be my guess.Good luck!

ok so which is it because i did do some research on the forum and alot of people are using rotella 30wt motor oil or 15w 40 motor oil as well but i would like to know for a fact with to use before i put any more hours on it with possibly the wrong oil in it. thanks for the replys its alot of help.
    D6C 10K

I think Cat has updated what they recommend over the years. Currently they say use TDTO-30 in trans, but my manual for a 10k (printed in '82) lists CD (engine) oil) metting the TO-2 spec. I'm not sure the "CD" spec is even still in use for engine oil. I'd be concerned that the current engine oils would be to slippery for trans clutches.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by D6c10K; 02-29-2012 at 09:29 PM.

http://www.antiquecaterpillar.org/
    http://www.acmoc.org/bb/

You might also want to register on these forums as there is a lot of really good information you can get from the members on both of them. The D6C is one of the best built and well liked tractors that Cat produced and still command good prices. In addition to many other parts souces.. you might want to look up American Independent, a member here, Trevor De Andro is the contact and they were able to help my employer find parts they needed. Tell him Alan Hynes sent you.....
    Link to their website
    http://americanindependentinc.com/

Take good enough care of that Cat and the little man will be running it for you someday! Nice tractor too.
    Hope this helps, welcome aboard!

Alan
    Last edited by alan627b; 02-29-2012 at 09:34 PM.
    Retro Grading, We Do Modern Jobs With Antique Machinery"

thank you guys for all the help give me some time and i will have some more questions.
    D6C 10K

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast