Thread: Broken skid steers- Where best to buy

Broken skid steers- Where best to buy

Is there a "best" place on the east coast to buy broken skid steers (prefer Case or JD)? I am looking for a fixer upper, something that probably needs an engine rebuilt and the like.

Machinerytrader.com has listings for parted out machines. There are several different machines like that on there. Also, ritche bros has a stationary construction equipment section. There are skids on there all the time

Be careful buying a "fixer upper". If you have to replace/rebuild pumps, seals, etc you will quickly have more $$ in the fixer upper than you can buy a ready to go machine. Depending on the skid, the engine may be the cheapest item to rebuild.
    Take what you win, run what you brung

Forum Rules and Posting Troubles for New Members

How to post pictures

Part-time Moderator, Full-time Spam Hunter

Another source would be Salvage sale.com
    I have never bought from them, but get their e-mails constantly. There are lots of skid steers on there, some are stolen recoveries, but most are fire damaged. Keep in mind what CM1995 posted about your rebuild costs.

My buddie has a bobcat 643 that has motor issues that could be had for around $2300.00 , kubota motor . unit has around 4000 hour total , I guess it blew the head gasket and the last owner tried to repair it them self . I dont have any first hand info , I would guess it would be forsale on Craigs list in Bellingham Ma.

I am getting the sense that fire damaged machines are really only good for parts, and then only for certain parts. Would that be a fair statement?

Quote Originally Posted by troyharnish View Post
    I am getting the sense that fire damaged machines are really only good for parts, and then only for certain parts. Would that be a fair statement?
    Yeah, you want to stay away from rebuilding a fire damaged machine. The problem is you don't know the total extent of the heat damage to electrical components, seals, etc. Even if the components don't look burned, they could still be damaged from the heat.
    Take what you win, run what you brung

Forum Rules and Posting Troubles for New Members

How to post pictures

Part-time Moderator, Full-time Spam Hunter

We have done a fire damaged machine, two in fact. They are absolutely not worth it! I would steer clear at all cost.

I have rebuild a fire damaged 226B and luckily only the cab burned replacing the harnesses and switches did not cost that much , if the hydraulics also burned i would not have taken a chance.

Try the big rental companies, they sell real cheap, when a machine becomes troublsome. But you have to buy before they strip them down...
    Smokey

My buddy bought two fire damaged cat 225's for an amazing deal, and sold them within the year for an equally amazing deal. Then spent the next year recovering financially and emotionally from the ordeal.

Rebuilding any machine can be expensive if you don't have a grasp on parts prices or mechanical skills.

Tom

I seriously considered buying a burned up N/H machine this spring that had caught fire on top of the engine and cab. It was extremely low hours. All the cab parts and wiring had completely melted or burned and the same for the top of the motor, however, the hydraulics looked fine. It had changed hands a couple times because each person had considered rebuilding it but then didn't due to parts and labor costs. A few parts were lost in the shuffle. So, at this point, it was priced pretty cheap. Still, even at something like $6k, once I priced up all the parts I 'knew' to be bad, then threw in additional money for parts I DIDN'T know needed replacing, but would find out as I went along, I was within a few thousand of being able to buy the same machine in good used condition. And that didn't include any labor costs.

In the end I bought another machine in good used condition with new rubber than didn't need a thing. I still would have liked to rebuild a S/S, maybe in the future. It's a great way to learn about your machine. But better have the time and $ if it's a burn-out.