Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: International 4700 for towing backhoe

International 4700 for towing backhoe

I am looking at late 90's 4700 DT466 220hp electric brakes - I need to be able to tow my case 580e backhow (approx 19,000 lbs)
    I am not sure if this is enough truck to handle this, I would appreciate your thoughts

thanks in advance

okay if there are no hills and going short low speed trips like around farming roads and if you are only doing once or twice a week so its not recemended very often what type of triler is it

no trailer yet.. I need to buy...., do you have something/type you would recommend?

anyone else have tire problems with tripple axle, single tire 9 ton tags?

That truck should pull it fine and safely if you are careful. What kind of transmission does the truck have? You will be doing some shifting with hills. That is basically the same setup I have, with slightly more power. Mine pulls my highlift and an occasional backhoe without any problems.
    1996 International 4700 service truck, DT466 175 hp, with a few mods

1978 International Dump Truck, NTC 350 and 13 speed

2001 Ford F350 4x4 crew cab flatbed, 7.3

2005 Takeuchi TB145
    2003 Takeuchi TL150
    1997 New Holland LX 665
    1980 Case 850B, 4 way bucket

Quote Originally Posted by seacraft18 View Post
    I am looking at late 90's 4700 DT466 220hp electric brakes -
    Did you mean hydraulic brakes?

I would highly suggest a truck with air brakes. They are more efficient, provide better stopping power and an easier system to work on. The late '90's International 4700 and 4900's are good trucks and there are many out there on the road. Another plus for a truck having air brakes is you always have an air compressor with you for airing up tires and other things.

A DT466 is not a powerhouse but it's a dependable motor with parts easily available. Look for a truck that has a 6 or 7 (6+1) transmission. I haven't driven this model truck with an auto so I can't comment on it's performance.

Of course you will need a class A CDL to pull this rig hauling a 19K backhoe.
    Take what you win, run what you brung

Forum Rules and Posting Troubles for New Members

How to post pictures

Part-time Moderator, Full-time Spam Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by CM1995 View Post
    Did you mean hydraulic brakes?

I would highly suggest a truck with air brakes. They are more efficient, provide better stopping power and an easier system to work on. The late '90's International 4700 and 4900's are good trucks and there are many out there on the road. Another plus for a truck having air brakes is you always have an air compressor with you for airing up tires and other things.

A DT466 is not a powerhouse but it's a dependable motor with parts easily available. Look for a truck that has a 6 or 7 (6+1) transmission. I haven't driven this model truck with an auto so I can't comment on it's performance.

Of course you will need a class A CDL to pull this rig hauling a 19K backhoe.
    whoops, yes I meant hydraulic brakes, the transmision is a 6+1

The single axle I had was a 6+1, hardly ever needed the +1 low gear but when you did you were glad you had it. Again I would suggest finding a truck with air brakes.

I have been kicking around the idea for a truck like this myself. Late 90's 4700,4900 - DT 466, 6 or 7 sp, 33K, air brakes and preferably a air to the rear for a trailer. One thing about the late 90's Internationals was the extendable frame. They all came from the factor with one size wheelbase. The frames could be unbolted slid in for whatever length you needed and the overhang cut off. What this created is a "double frame" for short wheelbase applications. I don't think the newer 4300/4400's are like this?

I want to put a 16' flat dump on it. The trucks that are already set up and in decent shape cost an arm and a leg. C&C's are available relatively cheap. Luckily I found a few close to me - http://www.truckpaper.com/list/list....lr=1&bcatid=27

Now I just have to find a nice used 16' flat or contractor dump and keep the whole deal under $15K.

How to post pictures

how about an air brake retrofit ? possible ? cost ?

why are some of these trucks 26k and some 33k what are the differences...axle rating ?

as far as towing capacity.... 26K vs 33K are they the same ?

anyways... the truck is a 97' 89,000 miles very clean, asking $9,500 thoughts on price ?
    Last edited by seacraft18; 01-22-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seacraft18 View Post
    how about an air brake retrofit ? possible ? cost ?
    I am sure it is doable but very cost prohibited. It would be better all around to find one with air brakes if that is what you decide you want.

why are some of these trucks 26k and some 33k what are the differences...axle rating ?

as far as towing capacity.... 26K vs 33K are they the same ?
    Basically the same truck, the 33K is a heavier built truck. The 26K GVW usually have 8500 front and 17,500 rear axles. The 33K GVW usually have 12,000 front and 21,000 rear axles. There are other combinations of axle weights but those are the most common.

anyways... the truck is a 97' 89,000 miles very clean, asking $9,500 thoughts on price ?
    That price is in the ballpark, retail wise. The low miles is what makes that truck on the higher end of the pricing scale but with hyd brakes instead of air, it seems $1000-1500 high. If that is your price range, then there are a lot of trucks out there to choose from.

Do you have a class A CDL? Pulling 19K lbs will require one, regardless whether or not your truck of choice requires a CDL.

How to post pictures

CM ! .... looks like you're the guy that can answer this question ...... '06-4200 Inter-binder 6spd tranny ......w/ 200hp VT365 engine ...what engine is this ?? is this the same but detuned V8 engine sometimes called the 6L in the ford p/u's ???? ...
    -'04 3500 Laramie Dodge Cummins Dually -20' 8-Ton Gooseneck
    -'07 A-300 Bobcat c/w all the bells/whistles, Forestry Cab/machine Guarding, Strobes -Hyd Post Pounder,Skid-Pac w/probe, Ind Grapple, Buckets, 4'&8'Forks
    -Davco 705 Hi-flo Mulcher (the Destroyer) f/exc & skid, BC Hi-flo Stump Grinder -Custom Built hyd Rock Rake (harley style),8'-4in1 Bucket
    -'09 Hiflo 8424 Buhler Commercial Blower & Truck shute -8' Snow Blade w/fold back Wings
    -'95 312 Cat Excavator c/w hyd thumb & guarding -'06 320 CLU Cat Excavator c/w hyd thumb & guarding
    -'86 Western Star T/A Dump 425 Cat (fuel'd up HOT) -L8000 S/A Tractor 3208 Cat
    -25' Trail-King hyd 20-Ton Tilt Deck
    -58' Cutting Edge Portable Bandsaw Mill (56hp Diesel) c/w 24" Planer & Notching Saw -ect., ect., ect.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAFT View Post
    CM ! .... looks like you're the guy that can answer this question ...... '06-4200 Inter-binder 6spd tranny ......w/ 200hp VT365 engine ...what engine is this ?? is this the same but detuned V8 engine sometimes called the 6L in the ford p/u's ???? ...
    Yeah it's the same engine block that the Ford 6.0 is, although I think the medium duty applications of the 6.0/VT365 did not have EGR coolers which caused most of the problems in the Ford trucks. I have read that the medium duty 6.0's didn't have to have EGR to meet emissions due to the GVW, that would be under the US EPA regs, I don't know if they are different for Canada.

How to post pictures

Quote Originally Posted by seacraft18
    Basically it is to keep the truck under CDL requirements, which is also why you see hydraulic brakes. Converting to air brakes would be cost prohibitive. While the axle ratings may be different, the axles are usually the same.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAFT
    '06-4200 Inter-binder 6spd tranny ......w/ 200hp VT365 engine ...what engine is this ?? is this the same but detuned V8 engine sometimes called the 6L in the ford p/u's ????
    While this is the same engine as the problematic 6.0 Powerstroke, IH's configuration is much more reliable. The HP rating is lower but torque is more and max RPM is reduced as well. My buddy has a 26,000 GVW IH, I don't recall the model number with the VT365 and Allison auto that I borrowed when my truck was down. I hauled 5 yards of item #4 to a job, I'm pretty sure I was grossing around 34,000 and had to climb a long steep incline which I expected to crawl up. To my surprise I was able to maintain a pace of 25mph up this hill, I was super impressed. He offered to sell me the truck for the remainder of the payments and I was real interested, but after a call to the dealer I couldn't get it re certified to 33,000 GVW even though the suspension and drivetrain components were identical. I didn't put a lot of miles on my trucks as my work was local, there's no doubt in my mind that truck would have fulfilled my needs if it could carry the weight I needed legally.

like the others said, air brakes are better and cheaper to work on.
    you will need a CDL to drive this, pulling a backhoe
    I wish we were closer, I have a great 20 ton equipment trailer, with air brakes, in great condition $4000
    Good Luck

I own 2 4900's around 2003-2006 years, I believe. Anyhow, we use use them to pull our 2 curb machines which weigh around 19-20k lbs.20ton talbert tag trailers,tandem axle w/ duals AND AIR BRAKES. The trucks do fine,but you will wish you had air brakes,trust me.Both trucks have DT-466 ,one with a 6+1 and the other has an allison.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast