Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CASE 580SK Project

Avoid using the diff lock AU - they tend to break diffs . Better to just use the 4wd
    To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research

Have you updated your user profile yet?

Quote Originally Posted by alrman View Post
    Avoid using the diff lock AU - they tend to break diffs . Better to just use the 4wd
    Hey alrman, good to hear from you, thanks for the tip!

Is it normal for one side to do all the work?

I'd say this machine has original rear tyres and the left is down, now I know why, so I thought if I changed tyres from rhs rim to lhs rim and vice versa it might put more traction on the left and start using the right anyway = no gain!
    --
    CASE D750 (our first machine) 1986 - 1996. (D.O.M 1968).
    CASE 1150D P.A.T. crawler 1996. (D.O.M 1986).
    CASE 580SK side shift backhoe 2010. (D.O.M 1996).

maybe youve already tried, but assuming your brakes work, lift the machine off the ground and run it in the air, unlock the right and left brake and apply pressure to each side individually. the results should be that the opposite wheel (to that with the brakes applied) begins rotating. if this seems to work without any noise then the diff should be alright.... also check that the brakes are not binding (park brake included)... love the posts and pics you look like quite the handyman with metal.

AU - there are a lot of reasons why one wheel will spin. The diff is not limited slip so it is normal to have one wheel let go a little while pushing. Things that can affect this are weight distribution with the hoe; tyre inflation, wear; angle of the terrain will cause tractor to lean a little.
    You could try to compensate by offsetting the hoe a little so there is more weight on the spinning side, it is something you can experiment with, if it really worries you.
    It is not a good thing to have happen though, it does cause unnecessary wear & tear on the transmission. Try to smooth out your movements while using the loader controls, it will help.
    To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research

Have you updated your user profile yet?

Quote Originally Posted by funkinalive View Post
    maybe youve already tried, but assuming your brakes work, lift the machine off the ground and run it in the air, unlock the right and left brake and apply pressure to each side individually. the results should be that the opposite wheel (to that with the brakes applied) begins rotating. if this seems to work without any noise then the diff should be alright.... also check that the brakes are not binding (park brake included)... love the posts and pics you look like quite the handyman with metal.
    Thank you for the comments, yes the brake tests show 'ok' on the diff, I did them around the time I bought it so I think alrman has focussed me 'on the money' about the balance area - cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by alrman View Post
    AU - there are a lot of reasons why one wheel will spin. The diff is not limited slip so it is normal to have one wheel let go a little while pushing. Things that can affect this are weight distribution with the hoe; tyre inflation, wear; angle of the terrain will cause tractor to lean a little.
    You could try to compensate by offsetting the hoe a little so there is more weight on the spinning side, it is something you can experiment with, if it really worries you.
    It is not a good thing to have happen though, it does cause unnecessary wear & tear on the transmission. Try to smooth out your movements while using the loader controls, it will help.
    Thank you alrman, yes sideshift hoes (in Australia) have a habit of placing the swing on the machine's right hand side (as viewed from the rear) so with all that weight it would spin the left wheel, I will experiment with moving the hoe over, although I have to admit to not being a fan of the what the hoses go through when it shifts across, but for the benefits to the machine and certain jobs that need a close park to the other side at a fence (or wall), the sideshift is there for a reason so it is about time I started using it!

--

Name:  Rebuilding Cattle Yards Hill Top 250312-DSC00359.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  261.2 KB

Taking down the old yards!

--

Name:  Dismantle Old Cattle Yards-270312-DSC00411.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  273.9 KB

Taking down the old yards!

--

Name:  Dismantle Old Cattle Yards-270312-DSC00389.JPG
Views: 159
Size:  255.3 KB

Knocking over some dead trees that have become a hazard.

--

Name:  Dismantle Old Cattle Yards-270312-DSC00397.JPG
Views: 154
Size:  265.9 KB

Stacking them away for the saw bench and Winter heater!

--

Name:  Wedge Tailed Eagle 280312-DSC08874.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  300.9 KB

Now this guy is a native Wedge Tailed Eagle, I snapped this after it came into home base one day about 11AM looking for some poultry for lunch, courtesy of our chooks, didn't work though, sent it packing, the boss was most impressed that I heard the racket from the chooks as they made a dash for their penthouse!

--
    --
    CASE D750 (our first machine) 1986 - 1996. (D.O.M 1968).
    CASE 1150D P.A.T. crawler 1996. (D.O.M 1986).
    CASE 580SK side shift backhoe 2010. (D.O.M 1996).

nice pics very interesting trevor b

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12