Thread: Diesel fuel and hydraulic mix mix-up.

Diesel fuel and hydraulic mix mix-up.

Hi, I just put 15 Lts of Diesel into my Hydraulic tannk by mistake on my bob-cat, The question i need answering is this, If i drain the hydro tank and replace withw hydro oil would i be able to use the diluted hydro oil and diesel i drain as fuel dont really want to throw away 60 lts of mix if i can use it .

I wouldn't be afraid to do it with an older mechanically injected diesel. If you have a bulk storage tank, I'd dump it in there to dilute the hydro fluid further.

You can also use it as heating oil if diluted further.

I run 10% two stroke oil in my TD5 Landrover makes it quieter smoother more powerfull so should be ok

If you put 15 litres of fuel in your hydraulic tank and then when you drained it you got 60 litres of fuel/oil "mix" then your mix is aprox. 25% fuel, 75% hydraulic oil. Based on that I would not just throw it into your fuel tank in one hit. As Steve says above if you have a bulk fuel tank, throw it in there and dilute it further before it goes in your machine.

I have no idea how many litres of fuel your tank holds but I would not add more than 10% of the total tank capacity of your mixture at one time, then fill the tank to the neck with fuel. Even then your "fuel" is going to be 7.5% hydraulic oil, which IMO is more than plenty. It make take you a few tanks of fuel to get rid of it but doing it that way should not cause any problems.

STOP adding the mix if at any time you notice a change in your engine performance, unusual noises, or excessive smoke compared to normal running.

To Steve,wild8r &Nige thaks for your input.Garrie.

I don't the know current recommendations from Cat but at one time they published a bulletin that said up to 5% straight crankcase drain oil was allowed.

That makes sense. Caterpillar Oil-renewal systems (that continuously bleed oil from the crankcase into the fuel tank) mix up to 5% of oil with the fuel in the tank.