Thread: Eaton transmission

Eaton transmission

Does any one know how to find out how fast a truck will run with a rto12609b transmission and 4.10 gears or know how i can find out. thanks

Here ya go....

First you need to go here to find transmission overdrive ratio

http://www.roadranger.com/Roadranger...ual/index.html

Then you can go here and do a speed calculation...

http://roadranger.com/ecm/groups/pub.../ct_062746.swf
    Last edited by Markat425; 11-19-2011 at 10:17 PM.

dont know were to go to find the overdrive ratio

I don't know what went wrong with my link to the Fuller ratio chart, but it lists your transmission o/d ratio as .73.

I guess Im going to have to hitch hick on this thread, seems like Im not smart enough to start a new thread. I usually give advise, but now I need advise
    I have a 1997 Freightliner tandem dump truck, with a Eaton automatic tranny, yes its a Eaton automatic, not a Ultrashift, no clutch pedal. The truck only has 119,000
    miles on it. The driver ran the truck about 4 miles with the parking brake on, now when you put it in gear, it acts like it doesnt want to fully engage and it want seems to slip, like its low on fluid (its not) I have changed fluid and filter but it still does the same thing
    Yes it is a Eaton, with that brain box on top. I was told its a Eaton 9 speed with a torque convertor on front. This truck has worked great, until this issue
    Torque convertor $4000, plus labor
    I will post model number later, when I get it
    Any Eaton automatic techs out there
    I have considered pulling it and installing a 10 speed, but this is kind of a rare truck and the clutch pedal, will be an issues, finding one

You need the overdrive ratio, rear end ratio, and tire size, then I have a chart where I can figure it out.
    Stan's Truck Repair, Cle Elum, WA

So to figure this out old school.

Engine RPMs = 2100

Trans top ratio=.73

Axle ratio = 4.10

Tire ratio = 7.93 (thats for 11r 24.5) 8.3 (for 11r 22.5)
    Equals = 88.47883396694009 MPH 84.5345967901006 MPH

Quote Originally Posted by Willis Bushogin View Post
    I guess Im going to have to hitch hick on this thread, seems like Im not smart enough to start a new thread. I usually give advise, but now I need advise
    I have a 1997 Freightliner tandem dump truck, with a Eaton automatic tranny, yes its a Eaton automatic, not a Ultrashift, no clutch pedal. The truck only has 119,000
    miles on it. The driver ran the truck about 4 miles with the parking brake on, now when you put it in gear, it acts like it doesnt want to fully engage and it want seems to slip, like its low on fluid (its not) I have changed fluid and filter but it still does the same thing
    Yes it is a Eaton, with that brain box on top. I was told its a Eaton 9 speed with a torque convertor on front. This truck has worked great, until this issue
    Torque convertor $4000, plus labor
    I will post model number later, when I get it
    Any Eaton automatic techs out there
    I have considered pulling it and installing a 10 speed, but this is kind of a rare truck and the clutch pedal, will be an issues, finding one
    Biggest question will you do all the work yourself? It will be far cheaper to have the current trans fixed than paying a shop to change the trans types. If you do it yourself the trans are under $1000 used for good running units. The clutch pedal just buy a new setup from the dealer. For max $2500 you can have an old standard road ranger in there.