Thread: Case 580C no brakes

Case 580C no brakes

Hello, I've got a Case 580C. As I've been using the tractor lately, the brakes would just lock up as soon as I touch the pedals. It would take some rocking the tractor back and forth the free them up.

This went on for a few weeks, however just a few days ago I completely lost brakes. There is still fluid in the master cylinders under the dash, but no brakes.

Has anyone had this problem or worked on their brakes? It looks the they are dry and do not run in the rear axle fluid like some tractors.
    Thanks!

580C brakes are prone to problems like this when they run out of pad or just wear dimples in the brake disc unit as they use a ball eccentric system to multiply the pressure (I think thats how to describe it) I have seen people when servicing these don't service the whole assembly and end up with real grabby/lockup brakes...you should replace the all the hardware in there if there is any question on servicability especially the springs that hold the disc together. I think the shoe and disc friction sets are pretty cheap form the dealer around here iirc around 30 bucks... it's been a few years since the last set I did...
    They come off pretty simple just 4 nuts on studs and the pin on top to couple the brake lever. One side of the brakes has the diff lock slip ring in there comes off easy too, one other thing on the side with the diff lock if you are leaking oil between the shafts(inner/outer) then the seal is shot and fixing the brakes will not help without fixing the seal first(split rear end :-( ) I can probably dig up some pics/drawings if you need to help you also if i remember right there is a nut on the rod and clevis on top of the brake housings that can be used to tighten up slack but from your description of the problem you need at least new braking surfaces. Hope this helps

Thanks, your description defiantly helps. I'll get all the hardware and brakes. If you had any pics that would great, if not that's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by csthompson12 View Post
    Hello, I've got a Case 580C. As I've been using the tractor lately, the brakes would just lock up as soon as I touch the pedals. It would take some rocking the tractor back and forth the free them up.

This went on for a few weeks, however just a few days ago I completely lost brakes. There is still fluid in the master cylinders under the dash, but no brakes.

Has anyone had this problem or worked on their brakes? It looks the they are dry and do not run in the rear axle fluid like some tractors.
    Thanks!
    Like Ronsii says there prone to problems. The balls in the swashplates or actuators as case calls them get rust, dirt, and flat spots and that is usally what locks them up. Another thing to look at even when new parts are used is to install assembled actuator in the housing and with a straight edge across the housing where the outer cover goes measure between the stright edge and actuator it should be about .060" . If more than .060 i remove the housings and mill them to achive .060 clearence. That keeps them from spreading to far and the balls from going to far in thier grooves or channel. No brakes as in pedal but no brakes or no pedal?

yep pictures or diagrams would be a great help.plus fluid specs for older 580's

is this a wet or dry system and is this a split the case job or can it be done external

Hey, I'm working on one myself, you can go to case web site and get diagrams of parts and these are dry type and yes they are external,simple to get off just not a good system, lots of info here and on the web just start researching and asking questions,, Good luck,, DW

thanks for the info!