Thread: Hertz truck for CDL test??

Hertz truck for CDL test??

I was talking to a couple of my friendns that have CDL's, and they said that I could possibly rent a Hertz 25' strait job and take the test in it. Does any one know if its possible? I have a Class A Permit with air brake on it, and cant seem to find someone with a descent truck to help me take the test.

What if I hooked a car trailor to it? Could I use it for an articulated test?

Dont laugh!!

Charter Member
    Well if you plan on running a semi truck you best get that kind of combo> if you will be running a dump with a tag over 10Klbs then it would probably be alright but I think they restrick you to what you use for the test. You could get an A but be restricked to non-semitruck aplications.
    2005 F350 powerstroke Diesel
    1997 580L
    2004 Gehl 4640 turbo
    1985 Leroi 185 compressor

I have a class A with no restrictions, and I took my cdl test with a six yrd dump truck and a 24' pentle hitch flat bed trailer. The truck and trailer had air brakes. One of my friends took it to, but the trailer had electric brakes. That is here in Texas, I don't know if it is different else where.

I think you're going to find enough differences from one locality to the next that you'd be best to actually call and ask them at the site you're planning to take the test.

(That's just something that seems to hold true for anything having to do with trucks, and the laws surrounding them. Read any of the threads about enforcement or licensing, and the only thing that seems to be consistent anywhere is that nothing is consistent everywhere.)

Banned
    For us the DMV gets peticular on what you take your test on I know they have swalked about guys trying to take a class A CDL with a pintle type hitch trailer. Its frustrating the law requires that you have to have a class 1(A) CDL to drive a truck with a tag trailer behind a single or tandem axle dump truck. There reply is we want you to disconnect and reconnect the trailer (fifth wheel).

I never went for a class 1 (A) because back when I did my schooling it was 2000 dollars I didn't have the bucks. I went for a class 3 which allows me to run a tandem axle dump which is all I drive anyways that was 1000 dollars that was back in 1998. The basic course for a class 1 (A) at the driving school I went to is 2500 dollars for a real basic course but usually that is for somebody like me with class 3 experience. The top of the line course is 12,000 dollars but that teaches you everything and puts you in a job.

Just took mine on wenesday, Jan 17th. I passed the written test for class A but I didn't have a chance to get my Dumptruck plumbed for air to the rear so I just got a class B. Here in NJ you can get a Class A with a Dump truck, while pulling an air Trailer. I'll get my class A in the spring. Reliable Truck is a must. I had a small airline leak and they wouldn't let me take the road-test. They were nice enough to let me come back the next day after I repaired the leak and take the roadtest.

Here is a site I found for CDL's, You just click on the state and it gives you info.http://www.cdl-course.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
    I have a class A with no restrictions, and I took my cdl test with a six yrd dump truck and a 24' pentle hitch flat bed trailer.
    I guess this is one of those things that is different from state to state. I know here if Vermont if you take the class A test with a tag a long trailer you get a "no 5th wheel" restriction. I took mine with a tractor trailer, so I don't have the restriction, but I know people to do. But I have talked to someone who lives in Pennsylvania and it is the same there as if was for you. No restrictions even taking it without a 5th wheel trailer. I would think they would make things like this the same from state to state.

I borrowed a truck from a friend that has a small fleet of over the road trucks. All she runs is 53 footers though so we just set the axles as far forward as they would go to prevent jumping curbs on these two tight turns they send you through. He told me up front "If you run over a curb, you automatically fail this test".

It would have been too much of a PIA to try and find a shorter trailer for this. Especially a shorter trailer that would pass inspection since most 40'-48' trailers are getting pretty old these days.

As for the driving portion of the test, they made me parallel park first, then a ~20 minute driving test. Just don't do any down or upshifting during any turn and check your rear view (side) mirrors frequently. That and no grinding gears and you should be ok.

What was interesting is when my turn came up, the officer hopped out of the truck that was before me then I asked him "How'd he do?" He just looked at me and said "He Failed." I just thought to myself "Here we go." According to him, I passed just fine though.

Charter Member
    As far as a trailer ryder or hertz might have a 20' pup
    2005 F350 powerstroke Diesel
    1997 580L
    2004 Gehl 4640 turbo
    1985 Leroi 185 compressor

I just went thru this last summer and can give my 2 cents from New York. You can rent from Hertz but will need a class a driver to rent from them, no permit. I took my test 3 times. First time my trailer inspection was one month over due so no test. Should of checked everything before I went. Second test was a bunch if small things. Did not check horn, 50' brake test, did not get out truck before backing, air test etc. No driving skills affected my score but all safety issues. It was so long between written test and driving test that I just forgot allot of safety issues and was very busy at the time so didn't refresh like I should of before test. Third test I passed only had 5 points deducted because the tester said he had to deduct for something no one gets a perfect score. Make sure you do all the pretests stuff and safety stuff. Get a copy of a test before you go and that will give you a check list of things to do at the test. My tester would not let me use a check list during the test, said I had to do it from memory. If you take the test with out fifth wheel you will get a restricted class A no tractor trailer. I took mine with a tractor trailer so have a class A no restrictions. My tester tried to trick me a couple of times to, he told me to pull away from the curb before I had 90 lbs of air, he told me to back up before I got out and checked behind me. So watch out for that. When you go to pick up new licence you will need doctors card stating that you had a physical. This is the case in NY but other states could and will be different.

Definitely refresh yourself with all safety procedures. You have to demonstrate complete command of the truck, air brake test and safety procedures. I was lucky enough to have a friend who had just passed after his third attemt so he gave me a few pointers, especially on the airbrake test. The Guy testing asked me if I had learned to do the airbrake Test just from the book. I guess without a little help it's a little tough to pass the airbrake test.
    I wanted to take a course from one of the driving schools but after hearing the costs, I decided to put that money into my Truck(Plumb for Air, New Tailgate, etc..)

YOu can take a hertz or ryder truck if its licensed(plated) for more then 26,001 lbs w/a traielr more then 10001 lbs. Must have air brakes if you want to get the air brake endorsement. ONly problem is unless you rent it for a long time, you pry cant practice.

i do believe you need permission from the rental company to use to get a CDL. The best combo is prob a tractor with a 40' flat.

Youll want if possible a little single axle tractor (shortest wheelbase you can find(so you can easily correct) and a decent to short trailer. The shorrter the trailer the quicker esp backing up itll get away from you and take a bunch to correct. Little trailers like to wag back andf orth. if you driven crew cab 8ft bed pickups w/snow mobile trailers and you get waht i mean. But also try a 300" wb tractor w/a 24 ft dump trailer.