Thread: John Deere 550G won't move

John Deere 550G won't move

I have a 1992 JD550G, pedal steer, 6200 hours, 4 speed transmission that I use periodically for making logging roads. One time last fall when I started the dozer, the "Transmission Oil Temp and Pressure" light came on right away, and when I raised the parking brake lever, the pedals would not release so I could not move the dozer. I shut off the dozer, and a few days later tried again and it worked until mid-winter when the same thing happened. Dozer worked fine a few times again this spring but now I have not been able to get the pedals to release and the dozer to move the past few weeks, giving it a try each weekend.

Unless the temp sensor is bad the temp should not be the problem as the fluid would not be too hot, and would be warm enough now in spring not to cause a problem. Transmission fluid level is fine and looks good. The blade hydraulics still work. When the dozer did move, it seems to work fine. I'm thinking there may be a problem with the transmission control valve.

Any thoughts were to begin looking for the problem before I incur a service call from the nearest dealer which is an hour away?

Thank you!

Were you trying to run steep ground? I've seen a 450g act like that and when we added 10 gal of hyd. oil all was fine. I know on some machines you have to overfill the tranny when on steep stuff, not sure if that applies to 550's or not.

Stumpjumper - the dozer is parked on level ground when started, and operated on gound that is generally level. The fluid level is in the acceptable range (on the lower end) on the dip stick, but I did add a gallon or two to the transmission to try and ensure that wasn't the issue.

Thanks.

When did you last change the filter for the transmission?

Quote Originally Posted by S.R.E. View Post
    When did you last change the filter for the transmission?
    S.R.E. I have not changed the filter. I purchased the dozer last summer and have used it about 40 hours. I was planning to replace all fluids and filters, but was thinking maybe I should try and fix this problem first, in case I have to dump all the fluid in the process. I don't want to waste the new fluid. I will try replacing the filter only to see if it is restricted.

Thank you.

Well, I was going to change the filter today, and also check the intake screen. Started the dozer for the heck of it first, and it worked fine again today. I'm glad it worked, but intermittent problems are sometimes harder to fix. I will replace the filter next time the pedals don't release when I take it out of park after starting it. If anyone has other ideas besides replacing the filter, let me know.

Will

Well, you have only used it 40 hours but, how long since the last guy changed the filter?