Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Caterpillar Diagnostic Equipment

Caterpillar Diagnostic Equipment

I am looking for Caterpillar Diagnostic computer. I need it for heavy equipment, not trucks. Does anybody know where I can find something used? Or even new, I am having hard time getting at all.

You will need a laptop computer, loaded with CAT ET ( electronic technician) and a CAT Comunications adapter ( I or II) as well as the correct cable to connect to your machine(s). There are 2 ET versions, customer and dealer, of course the customer version will NOT allow as deep access OR allow faults to be cleared. Both require a subscription, and allow access to parts. Service letters, special instructions, and dealer specific info are only available on Dealer ET.
    See your Cat dealer for pricing and make sure they detail time for training.

Check out ebay.Their are listings on their for what you need .Laptop already loaded and come the cat interface tool and cables.Put in nexiq and see what comes or cterpillar communication.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CATER...#ht_698wt_1166

here is the link to the one I am looking to buy. What do you think?....Can I use this for equipment or just truck engines?

maquinariawiebe that computer looks a great .But to use it on Caterpillar offroad equipment you need the caterpillars interface adaptor and the cat 9 pin deutsch which it a little different from the on road adaptor.
    Last edited by tool_king; 01-26-2011 at 10:07 PM.

I would call a CAT Dealer and get information on this.I was told at least $3,000 or more then so much a month for updates etc.The one for Highway Trucks is about $3,000 with free updates.
    Cat,5X4 and a good cigar now we're hauling
    And my overload permit starts after sunset.

I have the customer version of ET and it does machines and trucks. The com II (not the wireless one) cost about $700.00 a few years ago. The program costs about $1500.00 and then $1200.00 each year if you want the update, and the cost of the laptop. The customer version will allow you to clear most fault codes and some events. The only ones I have found that wont clear is the codes for aftertreatment on trucks. You can perform all diagnostic and calibrations with it. It will not let you flash ecm's. That is about the only differences I have found between the customer version and the dealer version I had when I was Field Mechanic at Cat dealer.

Lonestar is right on the money here, we have the same set up, full service customer ET and SIS. The cat dealer will set you up completely even with laptop if you need it.
    nice driveway

Ryan K.

I believe CAT is very senstive wth Territorys. I buy parts from Wagner in El Paso. Really good service! But there is a dealer closer to me where I should be buying parts from, I don't buy there because more expensive, takes longer for them to get the parts, and the whole, not being able to speak spanish fluentley, really gets in the way when trying to order parts.

My new toy.

Name:  PB260129.JPG
Views: 12373
Size:  142.0 KB

maquinariawiebe
    The computer looks great .Is it a cf-29 looks likes one. Is it the one fro Ebay? Good luck with it.

It is the one from eBay. It has minor wear but the guy who owned it before kept real good care of it. She starts up like a new computer, seems like he never connected it to the internet.

I need the basics of CAT diagnostic tools ET & SIS. I shall remain grateful if any body help me by providing basic knowledge of ET & SIS

As above.

To run SIS-WEB (the on-line version of SIS) your local dealer needs to set you up an account consisting of a login ID & a password. Unless you are a VERY good customer they will charge you an annual fee for this service.

To run ET you need the ET program installed on your computer, but that's only the first step. Then it needs to be licenced by the local dealer and it is a case of 1 licence covers 1 computer. If you want to run it on multiple computers you need multiple licences. The Customer version of ET will do everything that the Cat Dealer version will do WITH THE EXCEPTION of allowing you to upload (flash) software into ECMs and also clear certain events logged in ECMs that require a Factory Password to clear them.
    To connect ET to a machine you need the Communication Adapter. Version 3 is the latest iteration of the cable-connected version. There is also a Wireless Comms Adapter available. The Comms Adapter also needs software installed on your PC for it to run but the CD with that software comes in the box with the Comms Adapter.

Part Numbers are: -

Comms Adapter 3 - 317-7484 ($1000 approx.)
    Wireless Comms Adapter - 261-3363 ($1700 approx.)
    Comms Adapter 2 - 171-4400. You may be able to get a used one via eBay but be warned if you are using a recent version of ET software (say 2008 or newer) a Comms Adapter 2 WILL NOT WORK .........

Customer ET is available through the Caterpillar Literature system NOT the Parts system and I think is Media Reference NEXG4523. Dealer version is JERD2129 but you won't get a copy of that one. As others have said above it costs about $1200 to buy initially and about $1000/year to maintain the licence and get automatic ET software upgrades. These usually come out about twice a year.
    Last edited by Nige; 10-08-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maquinariawiebe View Post
    It is the one from eBay. It has minor wear but the guy who owned it before kept real good care of it. She starts up like a new computer, seems like he never connected it to the internet.
    I see from the photo it has SIS on it. Is that SIS-WEB or is it already installed on the hard drive ..?

Does it have ET installed..? If so what version..?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast