Thread: pulpwood prices?

pulpwood prices?

Had an offer by a gentlman today for pulpwood. Just curious what others are recieving for the same.

Man said he'd come and pick up the wood and pay as much as $30/thousand bd ft. for boxelder and $50/thousand for other types of softwood such as poplar and similar woods.

It's not a big deal for me actually, as I get paid by the hr. but was thinking "hey if he's willing to come and get it .........gravy!"

Any thoughts?
    www.grunexlandclearing.com
    Maintaining America's Heartland one acre at a time

I'd say go for it! Especially if he's gonna haul it away.
    I did some figureing. Out here pulp is bought by the ton, and right now it's going for about $25 a ton. A good load of short logs is going to weigh about 26 tons, and around 3200 bd ft.
    At the ton price its $650 a load. By the thousand it would be $960 for the boxelder and $1600 for the other stuff.
    I don't think your gonna lose!
    Jason
    Work harder. Millions on welfare depend on you!

I would only get X amount bd.ft.to him then see how soon he pays you, alot of good it is if you get burnt

Around here they buy it by the ton. Right now they are paying between $30 and $55.
    IUOE Local 139

Vote Uecker/Braun in 2012!

By my calculations an above average log can yield about 100 bd feet or so, with that said it will take 10 to 12 logs make up a 1,000 bd/ft. with the rest being sold for cheap firewood or burned through my own furnace.
    In gestimating I would say that 10 to 12 logs will be somewhat close to that ton price as well.
    Most of the guys that I deal with do not want the "trash wood" and feel it is more of a detriment to their tractors and equipment than anything and so they "just want it out of here".
    For me the piles of logs and trash are a liablity and reflect poorly on my abilities when I am told to "just pile it and we'll burn it later". So I kind of figured if they want it gone I can certainly make it dissappear, but if I'm going to do the bucking, I'd like to see a fair price.
    www.grunexlandclearing.com
    Maintaining America's Heartland one acre at a time

Probationary Member

pulpwood prices?

Can someone tell me what is the price for pulpwood if the mill harvests the logs on its own? is the $25 to $30 per ton price for pulpwood require you to deliver cut wood to the mill? I have an offer from a mill for much less than $25 per ton but they will cut it down on our land and haul it away.

the $25-30/ton is cut up and delivered to the mill, and most mills won't buy unless you have a contract to deliver a lot, and several kinds of high-dollar insurance,too. the on-the-stump price around here is about 5-8, maybe 10 for big wood near the mill.
    "Don't sweat the petty things, and, don't pet the sweaty things." That's what I live by.

selling wood only (aspen) is about $3-3.50 locally. Birch..if you can find a buyer in the city goes for closer to conifer rates. Conifer goes for a premium due to the number of sawmills around at around $9/ton.

Stump to dump operations are getting $49-55/ton prices but that includes harvesting and hauling...rates increase to the $55 mark in exchange for up to a 2.5 hour haul one way.