Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a used grader?

fiat allis is also very good, try and get a powershift and it will make it much easier
    Regards,
    Nick Bowers
    http://www.doottrucks.com.au

one of the problems with the A series was the electric over hydraulic controls. nice when they work but expensive to replace when they go bad

Nick... Fiat....really. We used to have a old farm tractor that was a fiat. Not the best one we had and impossible to get parts for in our area...but a grader might be different and with the internet parts are only a clik away.
    Biggrader...The shop forman I talked to said the same thing...stay away from the 670, 770 A models, he said the 570 never used the electric controls.

my customer is trying to get me another subdivision so now I am looking at 15 miles of road 3 or 4 times a year. I am thinking bigger might be better???

personally, I think a 570 is too small. How wide a road will u be working on? Have many hrs on a 770bh. good machine,imo

The darn thing is almost 30 feet wide

Quote Originally Posted by Allterra View Post
    Andoman,
    I have been looking at them also. dresser and gallon is the same right? Also kamatsu?
    yep same thing different stickers.

If you go with deere go for the BH series and newer I Have A 1986 770BH with blade ext and brand new paint and heater and cab. It has 20,000 frame hrs on her tho but i still use it quite often for little stuff. with a weight on the front you get good pennitration for their sise and always have enough jam.

Let me know if you want picks and work orders i belive it has 4000hrs on new engine and trans chains are being done now

What kind of numbers are you looking at in your contract?
    Just going to throw this out there.......
    15 miles of road x 4 times per year = 60 miles total. Assuming you can do it with one pass cutting and one pass spreading and if they're decent roads you should be able to get 1.5-2 miles done per hour ( really general numbers I have some roads I get 1.5 MPH on and some I can get 2.5-3 mph done on)
    Lets be conservative and say 60 miles @ 1.5 miles per hour, your looking at 40 hours of grading + road time
    I have no idea what you can get paid per hour or per mile in your location or what the possibility of picking up more work in your area with the machine would be, but when I read the numbers involved 2 things crossed my mind
    A) I'd be looking for an older cat 12E or F in the 10-13K dollar range
    or
    B) Grading in other areas is far more lucrative than grading around here.

I know what you mean about knuckle busters, not sure if the controls are the same on the 12E's and F's but I have a Cat 120 S/N 60H (Same as the 12's I'm told) and the controls on it have some type of hydraulic assist, very minimal kickback in comparison to the older ones in my opinion. If they do kick back its because you have alot of force exherted on the lever and somthings got more pressure on it than it should have.
    Anyway there are some distinct advantages to them and for the ammount of grading your talking about I wouldn't be afraid of one. I have a contract for 67 miles of road 5-6 times per year that I'm doing with mine, I'll guarantee its not as nice to run as the Deers and G models your looking at but I spent alot of 12 hour days in mine and its not horrible.

I've noticed some mid 80's champions in that less than 20k Price range, 720A's to be more specific, anyone have anything to say about them? I was getting the impression those are a good machine as well, might be one more thing to look at.

Deeretime;
    thanks for the reply...really dont need pics unless your selling? Thanks for the feedback on deere machine's. We are in a rural area....maybe not as rural as yours,but still remote. the thing is we have a deere dealer and a cat dealer...so parts for any other brand is three to four days away fed ex express. Shop time is more because no one has ever seen anything else. as I said earlier cat machines seem out of my price range. I am buying this so I can keep making money and therefor feed my family. I had to rent twice last summer at 700 a day, Machine only, and that adds up fast! Next summer I hope to expand. So a reliable machine at a reasonable price is my goal.

SiLveroddo:

You nailed it...with the info I gave you..I own a small excavation company and have had to rent in the past.....I Hate renting. Now I have the opportuity to pick up these contracts. After it is said and done the contracts would pay for the machine for the year and fuel used on the contract. No profit....but anything else that came up I would not have to rent. If I can find a cat machine i need to try it out. the only pre hydro model I ran had a pony motor. then in the army it was 140g's....good machines but still to expensive for me at this point. My uncle says "the only company that even makes a real blade is cat". I respect that....but my budget?

A note about the roads I am looking at. Recycled asphalt base on top of 2 to 6 inches of j base. 30 foot wide shoulder to shoulder with 15 foot wide bar ditches in areas.....sandy ......blow sand .....clay on a few high spots but mostly sand. Very poor maintance last 5 years not one of the previous "grader hands" touched the ditches.....now they are filled with sand. Washboards so bad my laser broke riding in the job trailer. Washboards are 4 inches deep in some areas. I am leary to list what I quoted them befor I get the contract signed.... but if you guys would let me know what you think is fair per mile for rebuild then for maitance i would be thankfull

Ok just checked prices on machinery trader...12 f cats 17500 to 32000 same range as deere machines 20 years newer and with who knows how many tens of thousands of hours on them. I don't know if I can justify the age differance?

Quote Originally Posted by Allterra View Post
    Nick... Fiat....really. We used to have a old farm tractor that was a fiat. Not the best one we had and impossible to get parts for in our area...but a grader might be different and with the internet parts are only a clik away.
    We had one to do a few jobs then sold it. Was a excellent machine, nothing went wrong, if there is a problem most can be fabed anyway. if its soemthing to do with the engine/tranny i am sure you could find parts somewhere.
    Nick
    Regards,
    Nick Bowers
    http://www.doottrucks.com.au

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...097151280.html
    http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/da...078059424.html
    Prices on Machinery trader seem pretty high to me, I do look at it but I've been watching auctions and craigs list more, its buyer beware no matter what your looking at though. No way I'd pay more than 14 or 15 grand for one of those old cats, and I'd only pay that much if the drive train had been overhauled. Alot of people just don't realize what their stuff is really worth.
    Is there much/any road time involved with what your bidding?
    The bids I've seen per mile on forestry roads have been ranging anywhere from 39 to 60 per mile, no parking lots or culdesacks. The 39 per mile had some road time the 60 per mile obviously has alot more road time.
    Depending on how bid happy your client is, I would try to do the repairs hourly, and the maintenance by the mile. In the real world its not your deal that they let it go so far, if you can work out a fair houlry deal to get it in shape, then a per mile bid to keep it that way I would try to do that. (thats how my contract is written, $80.00/hr for additional work) these numbers might be on the low end due to there being an abundance of guys like me with old graders around.

I'm thinkin theres some deals to be had at the moment, I saw 2 of those champions I mentioned go reasonably (in my eyes) at a municiple auction 15-18k with 8-9k hours in good condition. There was one more on another auction that I didn't go to and someone ended up getting it for 11500.00, kinda kicking myself for missing that one. Some of the best buys on equipment I've found were at auction in November and December. Might not be viable for you but just throwing it out there

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast