Thread: Question about foam-filled tires?

Question about foam-filled tires?

I'm considering putting foam-filled tires on my trucks. I have two CATS & a TerexTA35 that I run in a metal yard. I actually only average getting a flat about twice a month (usually I just plug the tire). Besides the fact that's it's expensive, I'm really more concerned about the wear and tear on the trucks. Has anyone had experienced with foam-filled tires? any input would be greatly appreciated

i have found that filled tires on loaders really beat the drive train to snot.
    SO MOTE IT BE.
    the qball fan club
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...id=42336642940
    the qball youtube page
    http://www.youtube.com/qball671

I bought one for the press wheel tire on my spreader truck, it was a disaster. It had all the give of concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by qball View Post
    i have found that filled tires on loaders really beat the drive train to snot.
    I'm actually looking to put these on 3 Articulated Dump Trucks. I was only going to put them on the back and leave the air filled tires on the front. I had heard that foam filled front tires is rough on the hydraulic steering. I'm starting to wonder if I should take my chances and not foam-fill them now.

WOW foam filling those huge tires ! .... that'll cost a bundle. I've priced out skid-steer tires and said forget it, and they are just a seed compared to those puppies ..... I just went to the tire gel for a small cost and my tire prob's are gone ....

What about the soild rubber tires with the holes cut out on the sides for cushion purpose. I dont know if they make the size you need. I have seen on loaders and big rough terrain forklifts before.
    Nuccio Construction, LLC
    PO Box 345
    Lincoln Park, NJ 07035
    P:973-305-1227
    F:973-305-0384
    www.nuccioconstruction.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cats4me View Post
    I'm actually looking to put these on 3 Articulated Dump Trucks. I was only going to put them on the back and leave the air filled tires on the front. I had heard that foam filled front tires is rough on the hydraulic steering. I'm starting to wonder if I should take my chances and not foam-fill them now.
    If you move at more than a snails pace with them for any length of time, you will kill the ADT tires with the heat they will generate. Those tires need to flex.
    Jerry

Thats got to be pricey. We are working out of a scrap yard this year running Komatsu 325's and 465's. Foam filling those are not an option and nothing will kill your profit faster then flat tires every other day! We've had some success using a magnet crane then keeping the roads clean with a grader twice a week. We foamed a Chevy pickup 16" tires, and they are heavy not to mention pricey. I think they weigh about 140lbs per wheel and ride like crap. We are limited to 35mph (not sure you'd want to try to go faster, its pretty scary!) and its got to be hard on the suspension. I'm interested to see what what you find out. Good luck, and get back with us.
    IUOE 18 Akron, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by brynbaily View Post
    Thats got to be pricey. We are working out of a scrap yard this year running Komatsu 325's and 465's. Foam filling those are not an option and nothing will kill your profit faster then flat tires every other day! We've had some success using a magnet crane then keeping the roads clean with a grader twice a week. We foamed a Chevy pickup 16" tires, and they are heavy not to mention pricey. I think they weigh about 140lbs per wheel and ride like crap. We are limited to 35mph (not sure you'd want to try to go faster, its pretty scary!) and its got to be hard on the suspension. I'm interested to see what what you find out. Good luck, and get back with us.

I decided against the foam-filled tires. I looked back over the last 5 months to see how much I spent on tire repairs. In those months I purchased 2 new tires and had 8 service calls for plugging/patching repairs. The new tires (23.5x25) cost me about $1500 per tire and the service calls about $220 each time. In all honesty, I really didn't think that was too bad. The tires that were replaced I had re-treaded for about $400 each and now serve as spare tires for future flats. I guess I was really concerned about the stress the foam tires would put on the rest of the truck, especially after reading the comments above. Until it truly becomes a problem I'm just going to continue with my air filled tires, although I could probably save some money by investing in a crane truck with outriggers so I can patch the tires myself.