Thread: Case 580K fanbelt change

Case 580K fanbelt change

I apologize in advance for my lack of mechanical know-how, but I am just trying to do as much maintenance as I can on my own... and todays task was to be a fanbelt change, which I thought would be a breeze...

Opened the hood, lifted the tension pulley off to take the pressure off the belt, and managed to get the belt off the fan, alternator, and idler pulley (?correct terminology?), but can not get it off the lower pulley. I thought there would be room to just slide it off the front face of the pulley, that is not the case. Does one need to disassemble the front of the machine to change a simple belt?

The hydraulic pump driveshaft runs off the center of the lower pulley, it has to be removed.

Put the belt back on all the pulleys first. I believe it's a 5/8" wrench you need to remove the bolts from the pump coupler. Once the belt is back on use the fan to rotate the engine, you can only turn the fan one direction if you turn it the wrong way the belt will slip and will not turn coupler. Get the bolt so it's at the top because there is a slight indent in the engine harp to allow removal of bolt. Keep turning engine over until all 4 bolts are removed. Now use a pry bar....sometimes having two guys one on each side of the engine helps and pry the coupler back. Don't go back too far remember the belt is very slim and can slide through a narrow opening. Once you have the coupler back don't drive yourself crazy just cut old belt off. Start the new belt over the fan first. Let it hang loose once it is and push it between the coupler and the engine pulley. Once thats done put belt on all pulleys. Pry coupler back and line it up at the top. Start the first bolt but DO NOT tighten all the way. Rotate fan untill all bolts are started the tighten them one at a time. Sorry the Case portal was down so no pictures.
    Heavy vehicle mechanics have bigger tools.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/98203149@N08/

ive done it before too, just get all bolts out of the pump coupler and you can slide the belt in sideways down through there after you get it separated a little

check your idler or your new belt wont last long, mine would grind down slowly because my idler was on its way out and slanting badly causing the belt to ride into the side of one of the pulleys
    Bobcat 773 full cab
    Case 1455B full cab a/c
    Case 850B full cab
    CAT 955k full cab
    MF 1040 4x4 tractor
    Case 580E x-hoe full cab
    Case 252
    Mauldin superpaver
    3, 5, 9, 20 ton tag trailers

had a dealer put a new belt on my 590sle 2 years ago.got old belt of but had to remove front of machine including rads to get it back together.cost a fortune
    nick.................

I read somewhere that some mechanics hang a spare or two somewhere out of the way so you don't have to go through that again

Ron

Why not use one of those link belts? They make them for use on 3hp+ table saws, I don't think there's 3hp of load on a backhoe belt. You'd only be out $25, instead of hours spent working around an obvious servicing screwup.

I have installed many of those belts. I can do it in a hour easily. remove the 4 coupler bolts and slide the belt on the bottom pulley. Like someone else said make sure you tension idler in ok.

Not a hard job once you get into it. I removed my cooling fan and radiator shroud to make it easier and it still only took an hour and a half or so.
    Link belts are out, it's not a vee and there is nowhere to store a second belt in-situ. I do a bit of generator work and see spare belts on engines.....they're usually too old and brittle to use.

I took my fanbelt off my Case 580B and got a couple tips. If your fanbelt is loose you can't easily keep the engine form turning. I took an old file and stuck the tang between the pulley and the hydraulic hub to break loose the bolts. About half a trun and the bolts came out with my fingers. The shaft was almost touching the pulley and would not pry foreward so I loosened the mounting bolts of the hydraulic pump to get the belt out. It had a NAPA belt with yellow paint on it. The engine tag says SHORT BLOCK 377 so I assume that the engine was changed out and the NAPA belt was put on at that time.

I had a K but never changed the belt. I have done it on my L and it's a royal PIA. Make SURE you change the idler/tensioner at the same time is my best advice.
    Good luck.