Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who builds the best Skid Steer and Why

Who builds the best Skid Steer and Why

Of all the Skid Steers on the Market who make the Best. I know this questions is loaded. But everybody got their reason why their machine will out last the other. But considering the initial cost, repair cost, downtime, if you were only going to own just one in a lifetime which one would it be. Go For It Fellows Thanks Bubba

If I had to stick with one brand and machine it would be a Case 440S3. It has all the features that are important to me(cab/heat, 2 speed, quick tach, ride control) and has massive power in the mid size chassis yet was reasonable price wise(I think, lower $30's).

Well its a bit old now, but if I could buy a brand new Bobcat 743B today... that'd pretty much last me the rest of my life.....thats a loaded answer...
    I treat everybody the same...... I give em all grief.

2011 or newer JCB/Volvo skid steer; too many reasons to list.

We like the Bob Cat brand cause we have a good dealer in Tulsa. We can rent one before we buy and once you learn to operate one you are in. They are tuff little monsters too. Parts are ready over night too.

Newholland is a very good machine! I get 10 years or 6000 hrs with no major problems.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpa View Post
    Well its a bit old now, but if I could buy a brand new Bobcat 743B today... that'd pretty much last me the rest of my life.....thats a loaded answer...
    sounds like something my grandpa would say

to answer the question: bobcat hands down, my S185 has 6000 HARD hours on it and I think it could go another 6000 easy
    Last edited by 928G Boy; 09-06-2011 at 01:51 AM.

Based upon the resale prices on Case 1845C series they have to be a good machine. Never owned one but have run them and found them to be a good machine.

Quote Originally Posted by dave esterns View Post
    2011 or newer JCB/Volvo skid steer; too many reasons to list.
    Did you buy one yet Dave!? Not trying to hi-jack the post, just curious. If you don't want to say, no biggie.

New Holland, I've owned 3 (1 LS 180 and currently 2 C 185's) and think they are great machine with good visibility and cost a whole lot less upfront if you buy new. I know there pins aren't as heavy duty as a cat or have all the bells and whistles but it will get the job done. The new 200 series are adding features like ride control and better pilot controls which makes them more bang for your buck. Plus how can you beat the reach and toughness of the "super boom"
    Last edited by Bossfoss; 09-06-2011 at 09:54 PM.

ABC..... anything but CAT!

Why no Cat?

Dont listen to the Cat comment!!!!!!

The wheel machines are great my 246B has 5000+ hours with very little trouble. I liked them so much i bought a new one.
    I would also agree with the Bobcats, i had a 763 that was used at a landfill, every inch of that machine was beat to a pulp. I bought it with 6000 hours on it and put another 2000 on it with very little trouble and got more than i paid for it when i sold it. That was a great little machine and i will never say a bad word about those machines or the 185 or 773 models. Great resale, great parts availablity, great usability (except for the foot controls) sorry guys had to say it!

Would probably have to consult my attorney before answering all the reasons why not... but to put it simply, the major track engineering issues, probably some of which they knew about before sending out to customers.... and from what I've heard across the country, the pride issue and not listening to their customers when there is an issue is the reason why I won't even where Cat branded underwear. To be a good company, you have to have a good machine and stand behind your customers - good, bad and ugly!

Had a 262C, Cat wheeled machine also before we got into the Cat tracked machines. Was a good machine except for - hydraulic pump imploding at 50 hours, oil pan crack at 300 hours and this was due to (I kid you not) work orders comment was "engine set down hard during assembly" and then engine frying at 310 hours due to Cat mechanic installing new oil pan incorrectly, at least that is what they said. Somehow, during the oil pan assembly....and I'm no mechanic, it was done incorrectly and the motor starved. Those of you that are mechanics would probably understand more about what went wrong. You would think I would have learned... not saying that all Cat's are bad, but there is a huge variation in the good and bad. So far, out of 4 Cat machines, I've had 4 bad Cat experiences. From what little I've been around Bobcat, seems they have a little better grasp on making the skid steer thing work. One positive I have liked about Cat....is there is room around the engine, although not much, and the radiators are easy to get to and clean out.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast