Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bobcat 863 lift tilt problems

bobcat 863 lift tilt problems

I parked my 863C (1997) for about a month and now the tilit/ lift doesn't work...it wants to but only tilts and lifts about an inch or so. It has Foot controls only for tilt lift.

The BICS valve light blinks 3x (Valve output circuit shorted to ground) all other lights ready for operation and the machine can move forward and backward but just not the tilt and lift.

I tried replacing the tilt lift solenoid coil but that didn't fix the problem. I also looked for bare wires and fluid levels but that all looked ok. The error code indicates 3 blinks with key on position before and also after started.

If you have ideas I would really appreciate as much specifics as possible as I am not an every day mechanic. Thanks in advance.

I'm not familiar with the innards of an 863C, not gonna be much help. But are you certain you were working on the lift/tilt solenoid valve? Not sure which coil it is myself. One thing your going to have to be thorough about though, you mentioned you parked the machine for a month and now have the problem, you need to check every little part of the wiring harness, field mice can do a good bit of damage to a wiring harness in a months time. Just a thought.
    A good mechanic isn't expensive, he's priceless!

http://www.bluediamondattachments.com/

Read Forum Rules Here

Please don't respond to spammers...makes our job tougher mopping up their mess

The older BICS machines had 2 separate coils, one for lift and one for tilt. If yours has only one, it would be in the center of the control valve.

If you are sure that the coil and wiring are ok, the next thing to look at would be the connection at the controller (corroded/shorting) or the controller itself has failed.

yes... it is just one solenoid center of valvebody...Where is the "Controller" I havent checked that.

Is the wiring harness behind the seat...Not really a harness but a group of alot of wires? Sorry to sound like a moron but learning. I need to get thid thing going...5800hrs on it and it has been one of the very best purchases in my life...A real little workhorse.

Thanks

I merged the two threads into one. Please do not make two threads with the same post. Thanks.
    Take what you win, run what you brung

Forum Rules and Posting Troubles for New Members

How to post pictures

Part-time Moderator, Full-time Spam Hunter

The controller is beside the seat....the black box with the lights on it. It unbolts from the back side of the cab. The wiring connects to the bottom and then goes through the back of the cab, and continues to the harness.

Is the harness the grouping of wires behind the seat?

I'm sure that's part of the harness. There are about a dozen wires in the harness for the BICS controller, they split out and go to various sensors and solenoid coils. There is probably a silver colored controller on the back side of the cab (below the 'rear deck'), with about 20 wires going to it, that is for the auxiliary hydraulics, and should have nothing to do with your issue.

I have 863, had a similar problem, mine had isolation of the wires going into selenoid slightly shortened, possibly due to heat from engine, and wires only slightly, but contacted just at the selenoid surface, where they enter its housing. Maybe worth to check all three selenoids. Not really possible to add good isolation, so i just sticked a piece of a cable tie in between them, added a little bit of epoxy and tape, solved my issue, hope it helps.

Thankyou all for your help....I have tried everybody's suggestions and really appreciate all the advice with no luck....I was wondering if there is a way I can bypass the two wires going into my new lift/tilt solenoid as to try some sort of bypass? It does say on a red wire tie connected to the two wires(Green and Black) "DO NOT MODIFY"
    Last edited by frankenstein; 08-30-2010 at 06:56 PM.

I believe that if you apply 12 volts to the solenoid it will activate the stem valve and allow the functions to operate. This will REMOVE the SAFETY FEATURE of the BICS system.....do so at your own risk!

Beware not to do this to the coils for the auxiliary hyds (one on each end of control valve), as these will fail if connected to 12 volts.

One more thing to check, lap bar safety switch, dont remember exactly how that was malfunctioning, but i suppose it could block tilt/lift feature

Probationary Member
    i am have the same problum with mine, it will move but the arms wil not move. all the lights come on and their are not code showing does anyone have ant ideas

Probationary Member
    Did someone find a solution to lift tilt problem? My 863C sat for 3 months and now I have no lift tilt as well. All BICS lights are on except valve light which is in a 3 blink loop, Drive functions fine, and it sounds like pump and engine labor when trying to lift/tilt. I replaced the BICS valve, which I dont see how it could have functioned by the way the electromag was corroded. but it did not change the problem at all! Plenty of fluid in it, good battery, any Ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast