Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 718 Link Belt

718 Link Belt

I mentioned a 718 a while back and a few acted like they never heard of one, So heres a few pics of one.250 ton rated machine and I think the S/N is like 001 on this one LOL.Its been sitting ever since the economy hit the skids......Sorry this is all the pics I had but I had to get busy.Seems If I stay busy others will follow.While "setting" the house you have to have someone in the middle of the carbody to watch and turn the lock ring and set the lock bar.Then hook the hydraulic swivel. That someone was me this time. LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Tracks are around 64,000 lbs
    Carbody around 45,000 lbs
    House is close to 111,000 lbs
    Last edited by Tiny; 05-15-2010 at 02:38 PM.

Ha,I'll show you the dirty side too!! The dirty side pics are while standing in the middle of the carbody when the house is be swung in.FYI V12 Detroit in this one.

Thats a 180 ton Demag we used for an assist rig but on one occasion we used at 2900 t to house it.Stayed with in it's chart,Barely.
    Last edited by Tiny; 05-15-2010 at 02:52 PM.

Dang that's a big Link Belt. Nice.
    A good mechanic isn't expensive, he's priceless!

http://www.bluediamondattachments.com/

Read Forum Rules Here

Please don't respond to spammers...makes our job tougher mopping up their mess

those old stink belts sure are smooth runners.
    SO MOTE IT BE.
    the qball fan club
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...id=42336642940
    the qball youtube page
    http://www.youtube.com/qball671

Cool pics Tiny.Thats interesting viewing the assembly.Are you guys working on a bridge job?

Quote Originally Posted by td25c View Post
    Cool pics Tiny.Thats interesting viewing the assembly.Are you guys working on a bridge job?
    Not this time ,This is a tilt up job.90,000 lbs panels to set up

Probationary Member

Re: Lb 718

Link Belt also made a 818 a 300 ton, 918 a 350 or 400 and a 1018 a 500 ton machine, these cranes had ring attachments that doubled their capacities. These were real cranes, conventionals, friction cranes not the want-a-be fake hydrualic rabbit turtle on one lever up down arrows on the others, a real mans crane.

I was looking for some info on a link belt and came across this

http://www.linkbelt.com/lit/archive/...e_home_lbp.htm

Quote Originally Posted by TSK415 View Post
    I was looking for some info on a link belt and came across this

http://www.linkbelt.com/lit/archive/...e_home_lbp.htm
    Thank you Sir,lotta good info there.

Love the LS 718 Link Belt.

Yes you're right about being in the seat when they deck the upper to the carbody. That was a hoot! I ran one of ours for about 5 years, and it was an amazing crawler. My first jobs were in tower, then a few with just a conventional boom, but the most fun was a 4 month power plant project with the Heavy Lift ring attachment. On that job I picked up a 50 ton Link Belt picker at about a 80' radius and went up and over the boilers, swung 180 degrees behind me, and then took it out over a pipe rack to almost 200'. When I get the hang of pic posting I'll add some photos of the sweet running rig that I liked soooo much!
    I'd rather be in the air running a tower crane, but can't always be so PICKY.

Here's the link to a few shots of that ringer job I did with ours. A great project and some cool people to work with. http://s1029.photobucket.com/albums/...cpZZ9QQtppZZ16

Tiny, Hi just joined the site. Great bunch of knowledge here. I know this is an old thread I found through a search for an LS-718. Need help with one if you can. These are some great photos. Looking @ buying one soon to put on a barge headed downeast. Let me know if you can share some of your knowledge. Thanks- Regards Joe

Not sure I can help but whatever I know about them I will share .

I concur that it's a real friction crane and it's by far my favorite of the many crawlers that I have done jobs with. They don't really double in capacity tho, in the Heavy Lift ring attachment, it goes from a 250 to a 360 tonner. The interesting thing is that the 818 uses the same tower and the same HL ring as the 718 does, so they both have similar charts as far as their nominal or 'max' capacities in each. The 818 does have a wider carbody tho, more counterweight, plus extra boom hoist and load hoist reeving, so it can out chart it's little brother, the 718 in basic conventional set ups. Ours was the only one ever built with a barge capable HL ring, that has c/w's on the front too, and the one I ran for 5 years also had the larger fixed elevated cab, not the narrower hydraulically raised cab. An elevated cab is needed for the ring clearance. Great rig but a handful to haul and set up/teardown, with wedge packs on the upper and on the tracks too. I rode up in the cab as they decked our upper for the first time, to be in the seat and rotate the swing pinion just a touch before lowering it all the way down onto the roller path. http://s1029.photobucket.com/albums/...ent=d628-1.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol school Dan View Post
    Link Belt also made a 818 a 300 ton, 918 a 350 or 400 and a 1018 a 500 ton machine, these cranes had ring attachments that doubled their capacities. These were real cranes, conventionals, friction cranes not the want-a-be fake hydrualic rabbit turtle on one lever up down arrows on the others, a real mans crane.
    Last edited by gostr8r; 01-11-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast