Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Weyerhaeuser Company Logging Operations

Weyco

C.C., Boy those Weyco pictrures bring back a lot of memories, Thank goodness for the fact that we were putting a roof on my dads new house on the morning of May 18th or we would have been on our way up to the So Coldwater ridge. That would not have been good!! Fred

I think camp 12 was up the Toutle and if not grown over with brush now would be along highway 504, the tourist road to the Mt. St. Helens observatory.

Weyerheauser has sold out of a large portion of their holdings and word in the industry says they might sell out more. The Snoqualmie and White River tree farms were sold to Hancock Resources a few years ago and access is restricted in those areas. All the Weyerheauser gear is gone.

The camps that are left in Washington State are the Pe Ell/Raymond farms, Vale tree farm which is southeast of Yelm, Cosmopolis tree farm out of Aberdeen and LongView/Kalama down by the Columbia River. The big shops and mills are pretty much gone now also. Vale had a train shop that was torn down sometime in the nineties and the equipment shops were removed six or seven years ago. All the mechanics work out of service trucks and a big part of the repair work is done by independents. I haven't been through the Cosmopolis shop in years but the pulp mill that is next to the shops was shut down about five years ago. The Bay City sorting and export yard in Aberdeen was shut down about a year ago and you couldn't find a stick there now. The building for the Aberdeen mill is still there but the Snoqualmie and Enumclaw mills are gone.

All that is a whole lot of unemployed people now. The Lazy W was easy for a lot of people to hate but they provided a huge number of jobs for the state. A big portion of house payments and my kid's college tuition was paid for with overtime working on Weyerheauser equipment.

What we always felt was that when the lazy W decided to do the hostile take over of Willamette Industries they over extended their finances and needed cash flow. Shortly after the sell offs started happening.

I plan to get up to MSH this summer and spend some quality time looking around to find the remaining equipment that got left up there after 1980.

I went into the PeEll yard last week, still looks pretty busy there. The gals in the office confirmed the selling off property rumor, when I asked about getting a map for their farm. Lots of equipment in the yard, got some pictures. Raymond mill is still operating. Cosmopolis mill is dead as you said, their shop is still running with some equipment in the yard, however I got booted out when I asked to take pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by John C. View Post
    I think camp 12 was up the Toutle and if not grown over with brush now would be along highway 504, the tourist road to the Mt. St. Helens observatory.

Weyerheauser has sold out of a large portion of their holdings and word in the industry says they might sell out more. The Snoqualmie and White River tree farms were sold to Hancock Resources a few years ago and access is restricted in those areas. All the Weyerheauser gear is gone.

The camps that are left in Washington State are the Pe Ell/Raymond farms, Vale tree farm which is southeast of Yelm, Cosmopolis tree farm out of Aberdeen and LongView/Kalama down by the Columbia River. The big shops and mills are pretty much gone now also. Vale had a train shop that was torn down sometime in the nineties and the equipment shops were removed six or seven years ago. All the mechanics work out of service trucks and a big part of the repair work is done by independents. I haven't been through the Cosmopolis shop in years but the pulp mill that is next to the shops was shut down about five years ago. The Bay City sorting and export yard in Aberdeen was shut down about a year ago and you couldn't find a stick there now. The building for the Aberdeen mill is still there but the Snoqualmie and Enumclaw mills are gone.

All that is a whole lot of unemployed people now. The Lazy W was easy for a lot of people to hate but they provided a huge number of jobs for the state. A big portion of house payments and my kid's college tuition was paid for with overtime working on Weyerheauser equipment.

What we always felt was that when the lazy W decided to do the hostile take over of Willamette Industries they over extended their finances and needed cash flow. Shortly after the sell offs started happening.

As I recall the Raymond mill has the last large double cut mill on the west coast. I was told they could cut a 72" log still, if anybody could find one. I don't know if that saw is still there all of the lazy W went to small log production in the nineties.

You could have sat on the road and taken pictures of what was in the yard at Cosi. I've had to work with the guy that runs that shop and usually he is pretty tolerant. However, some of the woods bosses probably might frown on you snapping photos without knowing who you are. I know there has been some vandalism out that way in the past also which might make them a little nervous. It's good that you asked before walking around in there.

Drop a line on the thread before you head out next time and I might be able to give you a heads up on where to look. Most of the area around Raymond is open to all. You can follow the whistles or an empty logging truck to a working side. Just make sure you have a CB before getting off the pavement.

Longview Camp Locations

Sorry for the delay Jeremy, had trouble getting on HEF again tonight. Here is a rundown on the Camps, as they were after 1960 anyway, from south to north:

Camp Kalama: Up Kalama River Road and off the end of the blacktop. You'll know when you get there, the asphalt pad (sort yard) is huge on your right hand side. I just looked on Google Earth and it is clearly visible. Kalama was a truck camp, while Weyco owned right-of-way for a railroad in there, it was never built. Off-road trucks hauled from around 12 yarder sides to the sort yard, then wood was sorted and went on to Longview on highway trucks.

Headquarters Camp: At the top of Headquarters Road, just 5 or so miles east of I-5. This was the Railroad Headquarters for many years (since 1928 actually) and all of the locomotive shops were here until the late 70's when things moved in to Longview. Wood was re-loaded here from off-road trucks to the rail cars. Also lots of offices, equipment shops, and other buildings.

12 Mile, or Road 12: Named for its location- 12 miles east of I-5. Right out South Toutle Road, rather than go left under the trestle, go right on the 4100 rd. This was a big camp, large sort yard, ran 40+ trucks from 15 or 16 yarder sides. Still very visible easily on Google Earth also, at the 4100/4200 junction there. Railroad ran right into the yard. Big shops, office buildings, etc.

19 Mile Camp: Just north of Kid Valley, 19 miles east of I-5 at the confluence of the Green River and North Fork Toutle. Big camp, sort yard, full shop facilities, etc. Railroad ran right through yard, camp (headed toward Baker). Logs came off the Green River/Winston drainages by truck into the yard, then to town on the rail.

Camp Baker. Grand-daddy of all the Longview camps. I was told at one point there were 20 company yarder/tower sides working out of the Baker operation- and I believe it. A huge fleet of Weyco off-road trucks. The railroad ended at Baker, and the sort yard area there was just plain huge. I'll post pics later. Camp/yard was built in the 50's but exploded in the 60's in sized. All the big name contractors had trucks/equipment and offices there -Roy Filla, Ben Thomas, Jensen&Grove, Gould's, etc. You get the idea. In 1980 it was outside the blast zone, but was completely wiped out by the flooding. From the Hoffstadt Bluffs Visitor Center parking lot you are looking down in the valley right into it. The dam above Kid Valley is flooding that whole plain and Baker will be under water completely soon- alot of it is now.

Hope that helps. It's getting late, I'll post a few more pics and hit the rack!

Camp Baker Yard, July 10, 1980

These pics should be in the Mt St Helens thread, but here is Baker being dug-out of the flood mud 3 months after it happened. there are railroad log cars strewn up-and- down that valley still today. The railroad and camp were not re-built after this, but rather were abandoned. 45+ log trucks were swept downstream and many are just today being found in eroded river-banks.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

More Baker Scenes.

There was a landfill built at the Headquaters site in the early 90s.I did a bunch of hydroseeding there.It was for waste from their pulp operation in Longview I think.There was a few pieces of iron there at that time.I remember a d-3 with a winch on it way back in the bushes?What did they ever do with a d-3?

Landfill is still there- and growing. Now, Cowlitz County is considering purchase of it for a regional garbage landfill. Hopefully that doesnt happen (close to Silver Lake).

Weyco is currently shipping the mill waste up there on the railroad- hauling in reverse, lol. On the D3, who knows. There used to always be yarders and trucks and shovels parked around Headquarters Camp- out by the shops, etc.
    Last edited by Contract Logger; 05-12-2010 at 12:46 AM.

Grapple Logging at Weyerhaeuser Longview, 1992

Yarder #210 (Madill 123), Shovel #140 (Link-Belt LS4300) and Tailcat #514 (Cat D8H), grapple yarding just out of Headquarters on the 1600 line, pics taken about 1992!

Side note-- They still have this yarder today, working there at the LV, in 2010.
    Last edited by Contract Logger; 05-12-2010 at 12:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Tailhold Cat 536

Weyerhaeuser always had lots and lots of tailhold cats around for the yarder crews to hang off of. Here's a shot of Longview Cat #536 in the woods before a paint-job, and at the Longview truck-shop after one. 1988 or so.

A little paint goes a long ways.....

Tailhold Cat #552

These pics are a little better, taken on the North Toutle River, of Cat #552, a D8K, with good view of the mast this time.

Yarder #220 in 1985, a Skagit BU-737 Highlead

During my years at Longview I witnessed 3 different yarders using the #220 designation. 1st one was a 108 Washington (pics earlier in this thread), 2nd one was a Skagit GT-4 on tracks (with night lights, a Camp Kalama machine), then finally this Skagit BU-737 on a Self-Propelled T-100 carrier. This yarder used the #220 designation from 1984 until it was sold off about 1990.

In the 1st pic it was working in the Abernathy Creek area (with several other yarders) and the 2 second pics were taken in 1990 at the Headquarters Camp shops. (Notice the 'Yarder 220' painted on the tube where 'Skagit' can be seen in the 1st pic).

Also- yarder #235- a Washington 127W is parked along side it. Longview had several of these 127's for awhile right after the mountain blew

Washington 118, Link-Belt LS5800

I saw this yarder around the Longview (Ostrander) area while on many hunting trips, but never did know the number on it (no stickers or numbers). It was around there until the Madill 123 (Yarder 210) took over about 1990. It was gone one day and I have no idea where it went. They logged with it right there for about 7 years between Ostrander and Headquarters Camp through the 80's. Yarder #207, seen previously in this thread, was a different machine.

The last time I saw this yarder it had been painted 'Terex Green'- wish I had a pic!

Tailhold Cat #536, seen previously, always stayed with this yarder.

Also-- Through the 80's the big early LS5800 Link-Belts took over most of the log loading duties at Longview. There were a few exceptions, not too many.
    Last edited by Contract Logger; 05-12-2010 at 01:59 AM. Reason: bad grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Contract Logger View Post
    I saw this yarder around the Longview (Ostrander) area while on many hunting trips, but never did know the number on it (no stickers or numbers). It was around there until the Madill 123 (Yarder 210) took over about 1990. It was gone one day and I have no idea where it went. They logged with it right there for about 7 years between Ostrander and Headquarters Camp through the 80's. Yarder #207, seen previously in this thread, was a different machine.

The last time I saw this yarder it had been painted 'Terex Green'- wish I had a pic!

Tailhold Cat #536, seen previously, always stayed with this yarder.

Also-- Through the 80's the big early LS5800 Link-Belts took over most of the log loading duties at Longview. There were a few exceptions, not too many.
    Great stuff as usual Contract Logger I like the left hand cab, what make and model? I can sure see where Madill and Cypress got some of their Ideas
    Slack the main come ahead easy

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast