Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Running Air Lines for a Trailer

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    58

    Running Air Lines for a Trailer

    The truck I bought has air brakes but I need to run lines to the rear for the trailer. I'd like to know what I need to look for and what's involved? Will I need a larger air tank than what came with the truck? It's an 89 Chev 2 ton.

    Thanks

    Dan

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    855

    air brakes

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Dan View Post
    The truck I bought has air brakes but I need to run lines to the rear for the trailer. I'd like to know what I need to look for and what's involved? Will I need a larger air tank than what came with the truck? It's an 89 Chev 2 ton.

    Thanks

    Dan
    89, 2 ton with air brakes, Humm
    My first questions is why you need aux air brakes? Im assuming you have a air brake trailer. What kind of load, are going to pull with a two ton truck that has air brakes ?
    I personally had rather use electric brakes on a trailer that you would pull with a two ton, but if you have a trailer with air brakes then lets see if I can help.
    Not knowing how many air tanks you have, I would say try it the way it is and see if you have enough air capacity, you will know when you hit the brakes a few times
    You will have to install another cab brake valve for the aux (trailer) brakes. Yes you can tee in a line, to the regular brake line, but dont get caught by the DMV. Its a PITB to install a aux air system on your truck, but it can be done.
    Go to a salvage yard and find a truck like yours and see how its hooked up.
    Good Luck

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Derry, New Hampshire
    Posts
    483
    This has Diagrams as well as parts- also troubleshooting tips http://www.bendixvrc.com/itemDisplay...ocumentID=5483
    I had a trl. that I swapped between a 6 and a 10 wheeler that towed , good and stopped good .
    We usually towed smaller equip. with the six wheeler, but occasionally wold haul something heavier than we should , if were a short distance with tight qtrs. loading or unloading
    Thats just me and That was before abs -
    Maybe Willis Will tell us why does not like the air as well - I not looking for match ,just curios Willis
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    If you can't eat it or play with it,
    Just pee on it and walk away.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    855

    trailer brakes

    Quote Originally Posted by OneWelder View Post
    This has Diagrams as well as parts- also troubleshooting tips http://www.bendixvrc.com/itemDisplay...ocumentID=5483
    I had a trl. that I swapped between a 6 and a 10 wheeler that towed , good and stopped good .
    We usually towed smaller equip. with the six wheeler, but occasionally wold haul something heavier than we should , if were a short distance with tight qtrs. loading or unloading
    Thats just me and That was before abs -
    Maybe Willis Will tell us why does not like the air as well - I not looking for match ,just curios Willis
    Nothing wrong with air trailer brakes, they do work better for pulling heavy loads, but if you have to start from scratch, I like electric brakes on anything from a backhoe down. The electric is easier to hookup/install.
    All I meant was, if I had to buy a trailer for pulling a light to medium load, I would get one that had electric brakes (if my truck wasnt equiped with trailer brakes) its just easier for me.
    Im not looking for a match either, I should have been clearer.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    657
    If it's done the way it should be there will be no impact on truck operation except it will take longer to build up air the first time after tanks are drained and after heavy brake applications. The trailer has it's own tank to run the brakes. Normal braking you won't even notice. We bought a new air brake trailer and we paid the dealer (!!) to install a hitch and brake setup on our new truck. Truck didn't have the factory trailer setup. They just teed into the air tank and a brake chamber at the back of the truck. They installed ball valves to turn off the air when unhitched. It worked but really dangerous and I changed it later. You can do it with less than $300.00 in new parts.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Derry, New Hampshire
    Posts
    483
    Tee not good -Trailer brakes should come on split second before trk brakes , this helps to keep you going straight- that is why you have so many ports on treadle valve - each has a function
    Also Trolley brake is useful in keeping you straight and starting up on hill
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    If you can't eat it or play with it,
    Just pee on it and walk away.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator CM1995's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5,198
    Good info. I had a dump that I pulled my air brake tag with that had the T in the air line setup and I didn't like it from day one. The dealer also installed the pintle and trailer air lines. Sold that truck a year ago.

    Anyhow, I have been looking at trucks to replace that one and need air for the trailer, which most of the used dumps I have seen do not have it. So $300 worth of parts + labor to install an in dash trailer valve? How difficult is it to do? I would assume you have to run new air lines from the trailer valve to the pintle hitch?

    BTW - I couldn't open the link to the Bendix page.
    Take what you win, run what you brung


    Forum Rules and Posting Troubles for New Members


    How to post pictures

    Part-time Moderator, Full-time Spam Hunter

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Derry, New Hampshire
    Posts
    483
    Link goes to their catalog , which is in adobe format
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    If you can't eat it or play with it,
    Just pee on it and walk away.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator CM1995's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5,198
    Take what you win, run what you brung


    Forum Rules and Posting Troubles for New Members


    How to post pictures

    Part-time Moderator, Full-time Spam Hunter

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR & Eatonville, WA
    Posts
    308
    Their webserver is a little slow or very busy. I tried the link and the first page shows up, but when the whole file is supposedly downloaded it goes blank. And if you wait 10 minutes it finally shows up. I am also on comcast high speed right now, so its not my connection.

    Alternative way to download file, right click on link and click on "save target as". Then save file to where ever you want it, documents, etc. And open it after it has been saved. It took 6 minutes to save file this way, and opened up no problem afterward.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Derry, New Hampshire
    Posts
    483
    Send me your email or try again - it worked twice for me
    You should come up with picture of big adjustable wrench on nut- title of document "Air Brake Handbook " it is a very large download , on the older comp. it took about 5 min. I think - The newer one was quicker , but both acted strange until dI sent to your emailownload was complete. Remember you have to have Adobe reader
    I sent to your email
    Last edited by OneWelder; 05-04-2010 at 02:58 PM.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    If you can't eat it or play with it,
    Just pee on it and walk away.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by CM1995 View Post
    Good info. I had a dump that I pulled my air brake tag with that had the T in the air line setup and I didn't like it from day one. The dealer also installed the pintle and trailer air lines. Sold that truck a year ago.

    Anyhow, I have been looking at trucks to replace that one and need air for the trailer, which most of the used dumps I have seen do not have it. So $300 worth of parts + labor to install an in dash trailer valve? How difficult is it to do? I would assume you have to run new air lines from the trailer valve to the pintle hitch?

    BTW - I couldn't open the link to the Bendix page.
    Uh, I meant $300.00 in parts. It isn't hard just plumbing if you follow the diagrams exactly. The Bendix site has some really good stuff.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •