Thread: Converting pony motor to elec. starter on Cat 318

Converting pony motor to elec. starter on Cat 318

Has anybody done this or know who has the conversion kit? I have a NW 41 dragline that I would like to convert.

My D6 9U has had this conversion done. When I got it the engine was toast, it had thrown a rod... I bought a replacement engine which didn't have a pony engine on it. The bell housing on my original engine had the drain hole brazed shut so I converted the replacement bell housing to an electric start... The conversion process involved machining an opening for the starter. The pad for the starter was already there but it didn't have the holes or the threads for the bolts. I took it to a local machinist who put the holes and threads in the right places. The starter then just bolts right on. Where the pinion gear housing goes I just installed a plate. On the top where the pony engine was I also installed a plate with a gasket underneath to seal up the coolant port. On the top of the head I also put a plug where the coolant from the pony engine goes in. All in all a pretty simple conversion. Some guys put a battery tray on top of the plate where the pony used to be, on my machine there's a big battery box on the fender so I have open space there now. I think there are 2 types of starters available, a 6V and a 24V. Mine has the 24V, and I also have the 24V gear driven generator on the engine. I'm really happy with it, that D318 is a great engine! If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask, I'll do my best to help you out!
    Cheers!

Thanks for your reply spitzair, do you know who makes a kit to do this and do you have some pics of your conversion?

Sorry but i don't have any pictures handy... next time I go home I'll take some for you. I think you should be able to get a kit from Cat, if I remember right it shows it in my D6 9U parts book but I could be wrong of course... I'll take the spare bellhousing I have out and measure and take pictures of the starter hole if you like, but I won't be home for another several weeks. On edit, while I think of it you can also check out www.antiquecaterpillar.org or www.acmoc.org, they are websites dedicated to antique caterpillar machines of all kinds, I'm sure somebody there will help you. Ozdozer is one of the most knowledgeable folks there, he should be able to help you out!
    Cheers!
    Last edited by spitzair; 04-12-2010 at 11:30 PM.

We have a Baycity 45 with a 318 that we converted to electric start. Our bell housing already had the hole for the starter so it was pretty easy to do. We used a 24 volt starter. Just have to make sure you get the right pinion gear for the starter that matches the ring gear and have your generator re-wired for 24 volt. Since there was nothing wrong with it, I left the pony motor in place in case I wanted to use it again. Now all you have to do is give it a shot of starting fluid and she fires right up.

Good luck

Did you guys change the precups and put a glow plug system in?

http://ponymotor.embarqspace.com/ the claim a true bolt on, no drill starter for cats that don't have the hole drilled...I'd like to know how.
    also
    http://www.auto-lec.com/

Also
    CME Miami Fla (ad below)
    http://www.rockanddirt.com/dispads/0000001783.pdf
    ph# 305-633-1524 fax# 305-633-9537
    Direct start conversions, and gear driven alernators in 12, 24 and 36 volt versions.
    hope this helps,
    Alan627b

If you go tto the ACMOC Cat forum, there is a sticky posted by Old Magnet that goes into great detail about these conversions, including part numbers for putting glow plugs in these old Cats. http://www.acmocbb.org/ACMOC_BB/showthread.php?t=844
    and also
    http://www.acmocbb.org/ACMOC_BB/sear...earchid=169937
    Retro Grading, We Do Modern Jobs With Antique Machinery"

http://ponymotor.embarqspace.com/
    I emailed these guys last night, to ask how their system works, they sent me the following picutes. Seems they connect a starter to the starting motor pinion.
    Here is the reply they sent...
    "Alan... See attachment picture's....You remove the ponymotor clutch,send it to me,I attach a 12 or 24 volt starter to it and send it back to you.One picture is the ponymotor clutch, one is of a starter attached,one is installed on a 9U D-6...The conversion cost $1,200.00 plus shipping for a 12 volt and $,1,300,00 for a 24 volt.. We also have a cover plate and gasket that goes where the ponymotor was,, The plate is $129.00 and the gasket $18.00....This is the cost as long as your ponymotor clutch gear and disconnect assembly are in good condition... Thanks Bryan Parker"
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Retro Grading, We Do Modern Jobs With Antique Machinery"

Great info guys, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by alan627b View Post
    http://ponymotor.embarqspace.com/
    I emailed these guys last night, to ask how their system works, they sent me the following picutes. Seems they connect a starter to the starting motor pinion.
    Here is the reply they sent...
    "Alan... See attachment picture's....You remove the ponymotor clutch,send it to me,I attach a 12 or 24 volt starter to it and send it back to you.One picture is the ponymotor clutch, one is of a starter attached,one is installed on a 9U D-6...The conversion cost $1,200.00 plus shipping for a 12 volt and $,1,300,00 for a 24 volt.. We also have a cover plate and gasket that goes where the ponymotor was,, The plate is $129.00 and the gasket $18.00....This is the cost as long as your ponymotor clutch gear and disconnect assembly are in good condition... Thanks Bryan Parker"
    Just want to let everyone know that Bryan recently changed internet providers so his old website won't be around much longer. His new site is here: http://catstarter.yolasite.com/ for some reason it isn't showing up on search engines yet.

Probationary Member

no 12 cat grader,conversion question.

Quote Originally Posted by General310 View Post
    We have a Baycity 45 with a 318 that we converted to electric start. Our bell housing already had the hole for the starter so it was pretty easy to do. We used a 24 volt starter. Just have to make sure you get the right pinion gear for the starter that matches the ring gear and have your generator re-wired for 24 volt. Since there was nothing wrong with it, I left the pony motor in place in case I wanted to use it again. Now all you have to do is give it a shot of starting fluid and she fires right up.

Good luck
    I have a no 12 1956 grader (cat). It already has the hole. It has the gear driven generator and out the back of the generator is a pulley that will belt up to an alternator. i dont know what voltage aither are or if either work. My main question is how do i know what gear on the starter do i need to match the flywheel. Do i have to remove and look at the pony pinion. or how do i do that, or does someone have a part number. or model number. thanks much in advance, i am new to this site and dont know if a post here will send me a heads up email or not so my email is mofunone at yahoo dot com
    Thanks much for your help

Good morning
    An old friend of mine has an old D4 with donkey start motor, that does run & start. His problem is that he is getting rather old & still loves getting out on his D4 but he is unable to pull start the donkey unless one of the younger boys are around.
    Is there an electric start modification that can be done to make the donkey motor electric start?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fred;
    Is there an electric start modification that can be done to make the donkey motor electric start?
    Thanks
    Short answer, yes. The d318 we have uses a belt drive to hook a starter up to the pup motor.